Page 797 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 2976977477877957967977987998078478971297 ... LastLast
Results 7,961 to 7,970 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

I pointed this out in the past but I think it's important to bring up again.
    NDSU FB's highest attended game was against non-scholarship Butler. Nearly twice the previous attendance record.
    2019 WBB(most recent non-covid season) had several FBS schools come to Fargo. Northern Ill, Iowa St, Wyoming, Wisconsin. Attendance for these averaged less than half that of SDSU or UND.
    The idea that "big names" will automatically solve our attendance problems is simply not supported by history.
    We need regional partners. It is not possible to think otherwise.

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    NDSU FB's highest attended game was against non-scholarship Butler. Nearly twice the previous attendance record.
    2019 WBB(most recent non-covid season) had several FBS schools come to Fargo. Northern Ill, Iowa St, Wyoming, Wisconsin. Attendance for these averaged less than half that of SDSU or UND.
    The idea that "big names" will automatically solve our attendance problems is simply not supported by history.
    100% you need regional rivals, absolutely agree.

NDSU and SDSU join the MWC at the same time, the first game I’m looking for is the SDSU game.

Big hockey fun myself (but hockey). Losing regional rivalries demolished the Gophers program. They are on the rebound with a new coach now…but it’s been a decade and attendance is still attempting to bounce back.

College sports thrive on regional rivalries. Exceptions are rare.

Women’s basketball isn’t driving anything in the athletic department, haven’t been for 20 years. Not sure why you keep bringing up WBB attendance. Even then, I would bet my bottom dollar that overall season attendance for every sport goes up if we are in the MW with no regional partners.

It’s absolutely ideal to have SDSU with us. It’s also very unlikely that they’re coming with if we go, but if they can I’m all on board. In the past we’ve talked about how the financials would be stretched to start at NDSU. There is no school in the Midwest that can probably go if we are barely able to do it ourselves.

I’m sure we disagree on this, but I think NDSU needs FBS more than NDSU needs to be playing SDSU and UND every year. Those are are two biggest “rivals” but the rest of our conference schedules is littered with western Illinois, Omaha, UMKC, Indiana State, etc. type games. Schools that we barely share any similarities with and are not competitive in the sports we play them in.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Women’s basketball isn’t driving anything in the athletic department, haven’t been for 20 years. Not sure why you keep bringing up WBB attendance. Even then, I would bet my bottom dollar that overall season attendance for every sport goes up if we are in the MW with no regional partners.

It’s absolutely ideal to have SDSU with us. It’s also very unlikely that they’re coming with if we go, but if they can I’m all on board. In the past we’ve talked about how the financials would be stretched to start at NDSU. There is no school in the Midwest that can probably go if we are barely able to do it ourselves.

I’m sure we disagree on this, but I think NDSU needs FBS more than NDSU needs to be playing SDSU and UND every year. Those are are two biggest “rivals” but the rest of our conference schedules is littered with western Illinois, Omaha, UMKC, Indiana State, etc. type games. Schools that we barely share any similarities with and are not competitive in the sports we play them in.
    I bring up WBB because it shows a historical fact that big name teams don't always bring fans. FB affiliate only simply isn't going to happen so we need to think about all sports. History is very clear that we need regional rivals. Maybe some people are, but I'm not willing to kill the rest of NDSU's athletic program to bump FB up a notch. Based on actual history I have absolutely no doubt that we need regional partners. If that means we don't jump this round because they're not ready then so be it. Better than the death going alone would bring.

I bring up WBB because it shows a historical fact that big name teams don't always bring fans. FB affiliate only simply isn't going to happen so we need to think about all sports. History is very clear that we need regional rivals. Maybe some people are, but I'm not willing to kill the rest of NDSU's athletic program to bump FB up a notch. Based on actual history I have absolutely no doubt that we need regional partners. If that means we don't jump this round because they're not ready then so be it. Better than the death going alone would bring.
    I guess I just don’t think it’ll “kill” the athletic department. Five years ago we had one of the worst WBB teams in D1 and we had all the regional rivals we’d ever want. Look at UND. Horrific performance last year across the board. Volleyball didn’t win a game. What did MBB win like only a couple D1 games. WBB last place in a bad summit league. Again, they had all the regional rivals they could get their hands on.

To your previous point, our highest attended game ever was Butler. Not regional, no history with them. But it was something new and exciting and different. That record attendance will likely get smashed next fall with Eastern Washington game. It’s a great example of a team we share history with that isn’t geographically close to us.

I just disagree that the pulse of our athletic department should be taken on the attendance of two games each year. Look at our summit league schedule this year and then go look up Boise State’s. I’d be ecstatic for nearly every game on the docket.

Again, I think regional rivals are important and ideally we’d have at least one. But that’s on them if they’re going to make themselves ready and their inability to get there shouldn’t be holding us back.
    Last edited by NDSU92; 09-09-2022 at 10:34 PM.
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

NDSU FB's highest attended game was against non-scholarship Butler. Nearly twice the previous attendance record..
    So that should tell you that NDSU would have no trouble drawing fans to games with new teams. Butler wasn't a rival or even a close nearby team and people showed up. Of course, that doesn't fit your agenda.

And pretty soon Butler quality teams are going to be the only thing left in FCS

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

UCONN, Baylor, and Notre Dame could come up for WBB and nobody would go.
    College of Business Alumnus

Baseball and softball...Both are gone for most of the season because we are in the tundra.
    Cross Country, golf, track....regional rivals mean nothing.
    Wrestling likely won't change conferences, unless we go to the MAC
    Soccer who cares.
    MBB, WBB and VB are the only sports where regional rivals comes into play. Sorry but our football program doesn't need to stay in the horseshit FCS so we can play USD, UND and SDSU in front of 500-1000 people for WBB and VB.

I would love for SDSU to come with but they have no ambition for football, they obsess over the Summit and Souix Falls tournament which is something that means absolutely nothing for our fanbase.

You want to kill the athletic department, staying in the dying FCS is what is going to accomplish that.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Baseball and softball...Both are gone for most of the season because we are in the tundra.
    Cross Country, golf, track....regional rivals mean nothing.
    Wrestling likely won't change conferences, unless we go to the MAC
    Soccer who cares.
    MBB, WBB and VB are the only sports where regional rivals comes into play. Sorry but our football program doesn't need to stay in the horseshit FCS so we can play USD, UND and SDSU in front of 500-1000 people for WBB and VB.

I would love for SDSU to come with but they have no ambition for football, they obsess over the Summit and Souix Falls tournament which is something that means absolutely nothing for our fanbase.

You want to kill the athletic department, staying in the dying FCS is what is going to accomplish that.
    Couldn’t have said it better myself. Then add in the recruiting advantage we would have from being in the MW or the MAC…
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    UCONN, Baylor, and Notre Dame could come up for WBB and nobody would go.
    I’d go watch Notre dame.

Fuck those bitches