Page 1099 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 995999991049108910971098109911001101110911491199 ... LastLast
Results 10,981 to 10,990 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Ok, the logic makes sense.

A lot of times those exit fees get negotiated/restructured after an announcement is made though, and the revenue increase at a P5 conference can still make the early exit worthwhile.

Eg: If SDSU could negotiate to pay the 33m over 2-3 years, while increasing their payout from $4m -> $30m yearly, it might make sense to leave asap. And even if not negotiable, it may make sense with that type of revenue increase for them to raise funds or finance a move quicker.

It would cost them an additional $16.5 mil to leave a year early, but that is potentially offset by $26m in additional revenue that year. In other words, the financials suggest they should leave early IF the PAC/B12 media deals continue to pay at least $30m or more. The early move would net them approx $10m more that year, even with the exit fee.
    I got something wrong in my answer. The deadline for the MW is June 30th instead of June 1. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    The deadline for the MW is June 30th instead of June 1. My bad.
    So ... July 1.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    So ... July 1.
    No, June 30th. That would be the deadline to announce San Diego State is leaving the MW so they could be wherever they are going in 2024.

To be clear, I’m not saying it doesn’t make sense to do this, just that the NCAA doesn’t currently permit it, and it doesn’t look like that will change very quickly.

Some of the NCAA legislative changes are actually going the other direction, and they are “raising the standards” of FBS by requiring more support for other programs in a way that raise the costs further. Reading between the lines, I think they are trying to create more cost barriers to teams moving to FBS.
    Interesting move, and likely not coincidence given the new $$ that will come in with the expanded playoff. Wonder who is driving this, and why am I not surprised ...

Is there any way they can kick schools out? There are clearly some in FBS right now who don't belong there. Looking at most of CUSA, TBH

I do hope they find a way to make an exception for NDSU, because NDSU FB is clearly exceptional

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Interesting move, and likely not coincidence given the new $$ that will come in with the expanded playoff. Wonder who is driving this, and why am I not surprised ...

Is there any way they can kick schools out? There are clearly some in FBS right now who don't belong there. Looking at most of CUSA, TBH

I do hope they find a way to make an exception for NDSU, because NDSU FB is clearly exceptional
    Only if they fail to meet FBS requirements. But some quotes I had read previously seemed to suggest to me that they may hope the increased financial burden will cause some schools to drop down. Instead of enforcing the 15k attendance rule, now they want to create tiers based on finances, at least it appears that way.

If the P5 eventually split off - that too will likely be determined either by conference membership and/or financial requirements. They could, for instance mandate a certain minimum salary for players, etc.

FBS is increasingly becoming big money driven, in all respects. Becoming hard for schools with less than $50-60mil budgets to compete.

Are you talking just football budgets or overall?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ne-30-deadline

For those of you who might have interest: This is a piece that explains the dilemmas and machinations involved in tv deals, realignment and exit fees.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    this exactly this...............

and MWC Bullshit! Conference Invites at that level is ALL ABOUT SCHMOOZING and SALES PITCHING WHAT YOU OFFER AS AN ATHLETIC PROGRAM!
    Boise St must have a stony brook administrator too because they should be in the PAC—12 by now!!!!! Or they don’t know how to schmooze or sales pitch……

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    F SDSU. NDSU goes FBS alone

F hockey F Fenton F all of this.

SHIT OR LOSE THE FANBASE STONY BROOK!! (YOUVE ALREADY LOST THE MOMENTUM BY NOT GOING ALRWADY !!)

have a good weekend everyone
    Better pray the PAC12 doesn’t dissolve because SDSU leaving the MWC gives us the open spot. This is our best chance to get to FBS. Stony brook also should
    Be as worried about keeping the summit whole so we don’t lose an autobid, until we are FBS I don’t care how we keep the summit alive including adding hockey or football.

Ok, the logic makes sense.

A lot of times those exit fees get negotiated/restructured after an announcement is made though, and the revenue increase at a P5 conference can still make the early exit worthwhile.

Eg: If SDSU could negotiate to pay the 33m over 2-3 years, while increasing their payout from $4m -> $30m yearly, it might make sense to leave asap. And even if not negotiable, it may make sense with that type of revenue increase for them to raise funds or finance a move quicker.

It would cost them an additional $16.5 mil to leave a year early, but that is potentially offset by $26m in additional revenue that year. In other words, the financials suggest they should leave early IF the PAC/B12 media deals continue to pay at least $30m or more. The early move would net them approx $10m more that year, even with the exit fee.
    Crazy to think SDSU is worth 30 million but is only getting 4 million right now….. I just don’t see it outside of that big basketball run they had this year. SDSU would have already been added if they were worth 30 million a year in media deals!