Page 1097 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 975979971047108710951096109710981099110711471197 ... LastLast
Results 10,961 to 10,970 of 13491

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Pretty sure that's their plan, since they're not super bullish about a move
    Don't think they can afford it right now, TBH
    But at least the "basketball school" is talking about it
    If there is any Dakota school that we are "tied at the hip to", it is SDSU
    They set a good bar athletically

But FB-only is the future of FBS, IMO, so on that point I disagree with them, fwiw
    FB-only feels a long ways off, at least at the conference level.
    Right now, NCAA rules prevent formation of a FBS single sport conference.

NCAA also recently ruled against appeal by ASun-WAC to let them form a single conference football league.
    There are definitely some barriers at the moment to this.

First, my apologies. I'm not sure where else to put this ponderance. And it might be paranoia, but ...

Were the Dakota 4 Shanghai'd by the MVC?

The MVC now has Murray State (FB in MVFC).

The MVC now has six FB schools (IllSU, IndSU, Murray, UNI, MoiSt, SIU). <-- The MVC could pull in football (out from the MVFC).
    They'd likely pull in (as FB affiliates) Youngstown and probably Robert Morris (who's looking for a home). There's eight. That works.
    And they become a stronger all-sports conference with football, football their way however meaning BB first.
    As their bonus ... no more trips to play FB in the Dakotas.

Should that happen, what's left of the MVFC? xDSUs and UxDs.
    (Remember: WIU is gone to the OVC.)

Looking at this through the MVC lens, this feels uncomfortably orchestrated. (Get Murray into MVC/MVFC knowing WIU would leave for OVC.)

It looks like the MVC-first schools are setting up to hang the Dakota 4 out to dry, at least in football, and likely with the Summit too (by getting WIU to leave).

Or is this happenstance and paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    First, my apologies. I'm not sure where else to put this ponderance. And it might be paranoia, but ...

The MVC now has six FB schools (IllSU, IndSU, Murray, UNI, MoiSt, SIU). <-- The MVC could pull in football (out from the MVFC).
    They'd likely pull in (as FB affiliates) Youngstown and probably Robert Morris (who's looking for a home). There's eight. That works.
    And they become a stronger all-sports conference with football, football their way however meaning BB first.

Looking at this through the MVC lens, this feels uncomfortably orchestrated. (Get Murray into MVC/MVFC knowing WIU would leave for OVC.)

It looks like the MVC-first schools are setting up to hang the Dakota 4 out to dry, at least in football, and likely with the Summit too (by getting WIU to leave).

Yes, maybe a little of both.

I could see MVC looking to take ownership of FB for branding and control purposes.
    CAA a while back took over what was previously the A10 football conference, but the membership stayed the same. They still have non-CAA schools in that league (America East, Big East and A10 schools think)

I don't see them booting the Dakota schools, it would diminish the brand and stature of the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    I don't see them booting the Dakota schools, it would diminish the brand and stature of the conference.
    Weren't the xDSUs a stop-gap for the Gateway/MVFC back in 2007/2008? WKU just bolted leaving them at 7. The xDSUs: right place, right time (that's a compliment, not a slight).
    (See timeline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missou...all_Conference )

Now the MVC sees not two but four Dakotas. The xDSUs were still needed so the UxDs were begrudgingly (schedule concessions) added. So much for stop-gap.

But today the MVC really doesn't need the Dakota 4 (and the travel and the losses). They have other, better-for-them options with six plus two potential affiliates (YSU, BobbyMo).

To my eye it's a bit too perfect.

But, it could just be paranoia.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Correctly labeled as paranoia. No chance that it will happen.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Weren't the xDSUs a stop-gap for the Gateway/MVFC back in 2007/2008? WKU just bolted leaving them at 7. The xDSUs: right place, right time (that's a compliment, not a slight).
    (See timeline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missou...all_Conference )

Now the MVC sees not two but four Dakotas. The xDSUs were still needed so the UxDs were begrudgingly (schedule concessions) added. So much for stop-gap.

But today the MVC really doesn't need the Dakota 4 (and the travel and the losses). They have other, better-for-them options with six plus two potential affiliates (YSU, BobbyMo).

To my eye it's a bit too perfect.

But, it could just be paranoia.
    I think a bit paranoid. But I don't think they'd shed a tear if Dakota schools left. Its a marriage of convenience, not love.
    College of Business Alumnus

taper is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

FB-only feels a long ways off, at least at the conference level.
    Right now, NCAA rules prevent formation of a FBS single sport conference.

NCAA also recently ruled against appeal by ASun-WAC to let them form a single conference football league.
    There are definitely some barriers at the moment to this.
    Don't read too much into the waiver denial. NCAA had a temporary ban on single sport conferences since 2020 but it expires this June. There's no need to go through the paperwork of a waiver for something that's going to automatically be allowed in a few weeks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Don't read too much into the waiver denial. NCAA had a temporary ban on single sport conferences since 2020 but it expires this June. There's no need to go through the paperwork of a waiver for something that's going to automatically be allowed in a few weeks anyway.
    There is talk that single sport moratorium could be extended.

Beyond that, FBS conferences have additional, specific requirements that currently preclude FB-only conference:
    *. A total of at least eight active FBS members.
    *. To be counted toward this total, a school must participate in conference play in at least six men's and eight women's sports, including men's and women's basketball, football, and at least two other women's team sports.

To transition to FBS, you also generally need to be invited to an existing FBS conference. Would require waivers otherwise, and the general mood of NCAA seems to be denial of any waivers that make FBS transition easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    ... But I don't think they'd shed a tear if Dakota schools left. Its a marriage of convenience, not love.
    Hence the thought and the paranoia.

There is talk that single sport moratorium could be extended.

Beyond that, FBS conferences have additional, specific requirements that currently preclude FB-only conference:
    *. A total of at least eight active FBS members.
    *. To be counted toward this total, a school must participate in conference play in at least six men's and eight women's sports, including men's and women's basketball, football, and at least two other women's team sports.

To transition to FBS, you also generally need to be invited to an existing FBS conference. Would require waivers otherwise, and the general mood of NCAA seems to be denial of any waivers that make FBS transition easier.
    So you tell me … Did the B1G want to add USC/UCLA for their Olympic sports?

They did it for FB, and the rest of the show must now fly all over the country because of chasing FB $$. This from the top bastions of higher learning, who rake in millions in federal grants touting buzz words like “green” and “sustainability” …

Giving the NCAA credit for anything is premature, given the tenure of the previous admin

There has to be a better way to do this