Page 1038 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 38538938988102810361037103810391040104810881138 ... LastLast
Results 10,371 to 10,380 of 13487

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Yep, I will say though that the budget shortfall is probably a bigger hurdle. Maybe not even from a material standpoint but cutting programs, positions, consolidating colleges and then going on to say that hey we're going to spend more money and take the holy football program FBS would give the Forum fodder for a decade. Especially if we went without UND.

Of course if we were FBS, we'd also have some large increases to revenue to offset most of the increased expenses. And there's the reality that vast majority of our athletic department is self-funded and money spent there is probably the best investment we can make from the marketing, branding and exposure aspects. But we all know the Forum, Gaptooth, DUI Porterhouse, etc. wouldn't let that get in the way of getting in some blows on the NDSU pinata.
    That's a fair expectation but it is also probably something that is fairly quickly forgotten if the money funding the move to FBS comes entirely from private sources or from the students voting to approve an increase to student fees. As long as additional University funds are not involved in the move, than I think any criticism from talking heads would be met with a yawn. Hopefully the changes that Pres. Cook is proposing will also start to show results relatively quickly which would also probably take away some of potential for criticism. It always seems odd to me that Pres. Bresciani didn't want to invest more in online when the brand recognition of the University was likely at an all time high because of the athletic success from the move to D1. Seems like a real lack of vision.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    That's a fair expectation but it is also probably something that is fairly quickly forgotten if the money funding the move to FBS comes entirely from private sources or from the students voting to approve an increase to student fees. As long as additional University funds are not involved in the move, than I think any criticism from talking heads would be met with a yawn. Hopefully the changes that Pres. Cook is proposing will also start to show results relatively quickly which would also probably take away some of potential for criticism. It always seems odd to me that Pres. Bresciani didn't want to invest more in online when the brand recognition of the University was likely at an all time high because of the athletic success from the move to D1. Seems like a real lack of vision.
    When the brand recognition was at an all time high, we had a very good, though limited, set of online programs. Bresciani not only didn't want to invest, he killed it off.

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    When the brand recognition was at an all time high, we had a very good, though limited, set of online programs. Bresciani not only didn't want to invest, he killed it off.
    Even more questionable decision given that.

If NDSU moved to the AAC, how would that affect the WDAY contract and associated revenue, which flows through learfield? I haven't seen this mentioned, but does ESPN3 have exclusive rights to all AAC games, even if they aren't on linear TV? I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, and I don't know how much WDAY is paying Learfield for the rights, but I would think that Learfield would probably consider that a diminishing event. Anyone know how the G5 TV contracts typically address local tv? Do schools in CUSA give up local tv rights for only 800K?

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    If NDSU moved to the AAC, how would that affect the WDAY contract and associated revenue, which flows through learfield? I haven't seen this mentioned, but does ESPN3 have exclusive rights to all AAC games, even if they aren't on linear TV? I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, and I don't know how much WDAY is paying Learfield for the rights, but I would think that Learfield would probably consider that a diminishing event. Anyone know how the G5 TV contracts typically address local tv? Do schools in CUSA give up local tv rights for only 800K?
    Long story short, no one here knows with certainty. I think that's part of the debate about FBS and which conference makes sense. The current WDAY contract through Learfield was apparently about 21 million over 10 years so about 2 million per year. If CUSA requires NDSU give up all of that for the $800K that comes from the CUSA deal than that would seem to be very detrimental. In my opinion if both sides (NDSU and Conference) are interested in making something work than there will be negotiations that occur to make it workable on both sides. In the case of CUSA, if they required NDSU to forego all of their current media deal for the existing CUSA media deal with no other compensation than I don't see how that would be workable.

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    If NDSU went to aac, their tv deal would jump to around 10m a year. They could just buy local deal out, at a minimum.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    If NDSU went to aac, their tv deal would jump to around 10m a year. They could just buy local deal out, at a minimum.

I'm sure they could. Just saying that if costs are being added up for FBS, it should be considered.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post

Based on what? The AAC's media deal is worth $7M annually, to the original members for all sports, through 2032.
    New members are only getting $2 million annually and again, that is for all sports. Somehow NDSU is going to get 5x more from just its football rights?

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    What you're seeing:

Is this symbolic of the part of Bison fans that is most used in their thinking?
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

As far as Title IX goes if we go FBS, will people please stop saying NDSU will need to add 22 women's scholarships? That simply isn't how it works. Adding 8+FCOA for tennis will be just fine. Coastal added 6 beach volleyball. Georgia Southern added 6 golf. As far as I can tell after some web searching SHSU, JMU, and App St didn't add anything. Stopped looking after those 5.
    To our resident UND poster, just because UND has 3 current Title IX lawsuits doesn't mean that's normal. The vast majority of schools figure out compliance before courts get involved. NDSU admin isn't perfect but this is one thing they don't really have problems with.