Page 1037 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 37537937987102710351036103710381039104710871137 ... LastLast
Results 10,361 to 10,370 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    After reviewing those numbers, I think you're right. Football is doable, no doubt in my mind. It's hard to see how all sports works unless someone is going to write a massive check for fund an endowment.

I do wonder if some of the dollars are a bit higher than would realistically be needed due to Fargo costs vs. others but still.....
    A football only invite is definitely doable not doubt even with the budget cuts. Going FBS for football only will pay for itself in the end. We may need some private money to step up right away but I think we see a big once in revenue from FBS football.

The only question is IF we get an invite!

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    You have a hidden problem: You've created a monster. No, two: the team and the fan base. The fan base has become accustomed to 14-1. Heck, y'all are wailing and gnashing teeth over 12-3 and runner up. As the thread calls it: "Bison Fatigue".

What will the inside of Fargodome look like after three seasons of 7-4 in FBS? OK, even 7-4, 8-3, 7-4? You've set expectations so high that they could end up working against you. Can you raise ticket prices with an FBS move?

Some of you harp on "Stony Brook". I'd guess his desk is covered with scenarios from "blue sky" to "bottom" and he is trying to find a path for his department. Why? His job depends on it. And in the last 24 hours we've all learned the campus environment he's working in (looming cuts).
    I think the inside of the Fargodome looks much like it has the past few seasons. The majority of the fanbase is smart enough to understand that a 14-1 season in FCS and an 8-3 season in FBS both carry about the same amount of prestige/respect in the larger college landscape. If we have an 8-3 season now it would be similar to a 6-6 season in the FBS. 92 is right though that our mindset as fans will need to adjust to not having playoffs.

I know my frustration with the Ath. Dept is the fact that we have to "guess" that they are exploring all scenarios. I understand that not all details are or can be shared but there is absolutely no reason that the messages/language in the most recent article in the Athletic couldn't have been stated at minimum 2-3 years ago. It strikes me as a reactionary stance. It is likely due to the past President not having any interest in FBS. Which in my opinion is a lack of vision just like his stance on online students. Now we seem to be openly discussing the possibility more. Better late than never.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Schlossman Fan Club View Post
    A football only invite is definitely doable not doubt even with the budget cuts.
    To make sure I'm seeing what you're seeing, I see:

- AAC FB budgets $10-15M
    - AAC HC about $1.5M
    - NDSU FB budget about $6M
    - NDSU coaching staff about $2M
    - Throw in 22 womens scholarships (to balance the 22 mens FB for FBS)

That looks like a $7-8M increase to me. (The budget shortfall triggering cuts is that number.)

Quote Originally Posted by B.Schlossman Fan Club View Post
    Ok I’ll finally admit it………!

I get a boner to see UND fail and it’s been a banner year!
    It's probably time to see a doctor. Erections over 4 hours can cause serious injury.

- AAC FB budgets $10-15M
    - AAC HC about $1.5M

That looks like a $7-8M increase to me. (The budget shortfall triggering cuts is that number.)
    What you're seeing:

- AAC FB budgets $10-15M
    - AAC HC about $1.5M

As always, there is a ton of nuance to those budget numbers. For instance some of those budgets apparently include $15M+ in yearly facilities fees. Another example is how the Big Sky schools say NDSU has such a budget and resource advantage yet the budgets appear to be similar according to the same data that you use.

NDSU needs to increase its athletic budget for it to fit in with the AAC but not nearly at the numbers you provide.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    What you're seeing:

Man…. That is… just… a TOP NOTCH zing right there.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    As always, there is a ton of nuance to those budget numbers. For instance some of those budgets apparently include $15M+ in yearly facilities fees. Another example is how the Big Sky schools say NDSU has such a budget and resource advantage yet the budgets appear to be similar according to the same data that you use.

NDSU needs to increase its athletic budget for it to fit in with the AAC but not nearly at the numbers you provide.
    This is what gets missed very often when people talk about the monies. With a football only invite I think money would come down to additional coaches salaries, and 44-50 more scholarships, and a slight increase in travel. Not sure how much that adds. Its not an insignificant number but it's not doubling the budget

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post

Yep. There's a reason why Choate at Montana St. and Stig at SDSU bitched a few years ago about NDSU leading the charge on FCOA while already funding their football operations at a higher level than those schools already were. The Fargodome arrangement is really beneficial for NDSU because it allows them to use their funds specifically for things that help player recruitment, development and performance rather than spending a large portion on a stadium. And yet they still have the Fargodome as their football facility to show to recruits and it's on campus. If we owned and operated our own stadium our current football budget would likely be significantly higher and would be in line with the lower levels of G5 already. That or we would need to cut many of the other spending options that separate us from the FCS pack to offset it. As mentioned by Tutters, if a football only option presented itself coaching salaries and additional scholarships are likely the only increases and I would suspect that that would likely require 2-3 million dollars in additional revenue needed. That's not insignificant but it isn't insurmountable. An all sports move is where the bigger funds will be required.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    Yep. There's a reason why Choate at Montana St. and Stig at SDSU bitched a few years ago about NDSU leading the charge on FCOA while already funding their football operations at a higher level than those schools already were. The Fargodome arrangement is really beneficial for NDSU because it allows them to use their funds specifically for things that help player recruitment, development and performance rather than spending a large portion on a stadium. And yet they still have the Fargodome as their football facility to show to recruits and it's on campus. If we owned and operated our own stadium our current football budget would likely be significantly higher and would be in line with the lower levels of G5 already. That or we would need to cut many of the other spending options that separate us from the FCS pack to offset it. As mentioned by Tutters, if a football only option presented itself coaching salaries and additional scholarships are likely the only increases and I would suspect that that would likely require 2-3 million dollars in additional revenue needed. That's not insignificant but it isn't insurmountable. An all sports move is where the bigger funds will be required.
    Yep, I will say though that the budget shortfall is probably a bigger hurdle. Maybe not even from a material standpoint but cutting programs, positions, consolidating colleges and then going on to say that hey we're going to spend more money and take the holy football program FBS would give the Forum fodder for a decade. Especially if we went without UND.

Of course if we were FBS, we'd also have some large increases to revenue to offset most of the increased expenses. And there's the reality that vast majority of our athletic department is self-funded and money spent there is probably the best investment we can make from the marketing, branding and exposure aspects. But we all know the Forum, Gaptooth, DUI Porterhouse, etc. wouldn't let that get in the way of getting in some blows on the NDSU pinata.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*