Page 804 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 3047047547948028038048058068148549041304 ... LastLast
Results 8,031 to 8,040 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I mean I’m just taking out my frustration on Hawaii’s joke of a fb program being in one of the best G5 conferences. It would make entirely way too much sense for us to take their place, especially after the condemnation of their stadium. But that’s why it will never happen.

Still our best bet is what you’re talking about. Cascade of teams moving around.
    Hawaii is building a beautiful new stadium. It will be the nicest one in the the MW. UNLV rents from the Raiders..

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

With everything that's gone down over the past ~two years, it wouldn't surprise me if NDSU somehow ended up in the Big 12. Obviously I don't mean the current Big 12. I just wouldn't be surprised if there's still a massive shake up that happens and the Big 12 is the victim. The footprint stays similar but the schools are totally different. Pipe dream would be TCU, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, SDSU, NDSU, Wichita State kind of staying along that I-29/I-35 corridor.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    I don't think it's a problem with MWC because there is enough revenue there to offset the costs. For other conferences, that could be a real issue. You aren't just talking Football, there's also basketball, cross country, track & field, softball, soccer, volleyball. All of them would have to travel now.

And the "football only" invite is a fantasy, most FBS conferences want all sports members. MAC and SBC kicked out members who didn't sponsor all sports. CUSA said no to "football only" for UMass and UConn.

MWC with Hawaii is the only "football only" scenario I can think of where both sides are happy for now. And Hawaii pays a premium for that with MWC.
    So you don't see that perspective changing now with the expanded CFB playoff and the potential windfall of making it in as a G5? Details still TBD, but all that matters on that front is how good your FB program is

The MW commissioner has very little to no say about the direction or make up of the MW..The presidents decide everything. Thompson was on the committee that established the 12 team playoff. That is his most significant accomplishment. No new commissioner is going to look at you any differently than they do now..If the presidents want you, you will receive an invitation.

It is very unlikely that any member would get kicked out of the conference. Things get decided by academics. Football prowess is nice but they have lots of things to value besides sports.

Having Hawaii in the conference does not impact the other schools financially. Only 4 MW schools per season fly out there for football and they are subsidized to do so. Hawaii makes it work for them because they have their own tv network that pays them along with what they get from the MW.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    The split crowd has mostly moved onto to needing a regional partner, it is the new FCS forever road block. But yes their logic was crazy on pretty much all points, especially the thought that after doing nothing we would suddenly call the shots and tell the left over FBS schools that we would be joining them or that they would have to join the dregs that make up the FCS.
    Ive never understood the regional partner BS. If they want you that shouldnt be an issue.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    The MW commissioner has very little to no say about the direction or make up of the MW..The presidents decide everything. Thompson was on the committee that established the 12 team playoff. That is his most significant accomplishment. No new commissioner is going to look at you any differently than they do now..If the presidents want you, you will receive an invitation.

It is very unlikely that any member would get kicked out of the conference. Things get decided by academics. Football prowess is nice but they have lots of things to value besides sports.

Having Hawaii in the conference does not impact the other schools financially. Only 4 MW schools per season fly out there for football and they are subsidized to do so. Hawaii makes it work for them because they have their own tv network that pays them along with what they get from the MW.
    NDSU is R1 with serious momentum on that front, just for the record ...

But hey, since you're here, how did it feel to get Worded? That must have sucked

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Indy laying down the fact bombs. (And I couldn't stop myself from checking: He's accurate.)

The one that surprised me recently: STL to Louisville is the same as Fargo to Minot.
    I did another comparison for fun. Outside of Buffalo I checked the furthest travel distance in the MAC and compared it to the corners on ND.

Northern Illinois to Ohio U: 464 miles
    Fairmount to Fortuna: 474 miles

Buffalo is outside that footprint but they are only about 200 miles to Kent and 457 to Ball State. So take out Buffalo and Northern Illinois and the footprint gets really tight. Imagine most of the entire conference within the state of North Dakota.

More mental math P5 programs and their distance from my house (all shorter than Minot to Fargo)
    IU 56 miles
    Purdue 72 miles
    Louisville 127 miles
    Illinois 129 miles
    Notre Dame 142 miles
    Ohio State 167 miles
    Kentucky 187 miles
    Northwestern 203 miles
    Michigan State 237 miles
    Michigan 248 miles

Go a little further
    Vanderbilt 300 miles
    Wisconsin 340 miles
    Pittsburgh 352 miles
    Tennessee 354 miles
    West Virginia 370 miles
    Iowa 372 miles
    Missouri 376 miles

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Ive never understood the regional partner BS. If they want you that shouldnt be an issue.
    Travel partners have been a mainstay of collegiate athletics since the start. If you say you don't understand that maybe you should consider you don't actually understand anything. Just look at the schools that went without partners and how they did. I absolutely do not want that level of failure to happen to NDSU. Maybe your ego thinks otherwise, but you do you.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post

But hey, since you're here, how did it feel to get Worded? That must have sucked
    I didn't feel bad at all..They had a better team and Nevada is in a massive rebuild. I am not at all snobby about FCS..Nevada used to be in that division.

I am also far more interested in basketball than I am in football.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post

I know you are R1. There are 5 R1 doctoral high research schools in the MW. Nevada, UNLV, Utah State, Colorado State and Your Board punching bag, Hawaii.

When I say things are decided by "academics" I mean university presidents not AD's or the commissioner.

I think your academic standing is excellent.