Page 1254 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 2547541154120412441252125312541255125612641304 ... LastLast
Results 12,531 to 12,540 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    I feel like it's the right time to ask this question.... If NDSU is in fact shut out of the FBS, what is the point of funding football to the level that we currently do? Could we slash our football budget by 30%, still be playoff competitive every year and then use that funding for Men's Basketball? Doing so might actually provide more of a benefit for the University than funding FCS which essentially gets us nothing.
    You going to teh big cities this weekend to watch teh big game eh?

Lardsin must go!

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I feel like it's the right time to ask this question.... If NDSU is in fact shut out of the FBS, what is the point of funding football to the level that we currently do? Could we slash our football budget by 30%, still be playoff competitive every year and then use that funding for Men's Basketball? Doing so might actually provide more of a benefit for the University than funding FCS which essentially gets us nothing.
    Being playoff competitive is not the same as going to Frisco for championships.

I do think investing in Basketball would make us more attractive to other conferences. Even Gonzaga gets mentioned a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post

I do think investing in Basketball would make us more attractive to other conferences. Even Gonzaga gets mentioned a lot.
    Going to Frisco is winning a playoff against like 3-4 other teams every year. Since we've won so much, there is no value (to the university) to winning more.

Let's just reduce our spending by 30% and add another $1-2M to basketball and see where that takes us.

I mean essentially what the rest of the Valley does. Slashing by 30% would be ridiculous.

But the answer is no, you don’t slaughter your cash cow in hopes of feeding a calf that you might be able to grow into another.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post

I’m sorry did you just mention Gonzaga? NDSU could put $10M more into basketball for the next decade and we still wouldn’t be Gonzaga.
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I mean essentially what the rest of the Valley does. Slashing by 30% would be ridiculous.

But the answer is no, you don’t slaughter your cash cow in hopes of feeding a calf that you might be able to grow into another.
    Cash Cow? There is a significant number of fans that have severe apathy towards the program right now. Do we think that number will get smaller or bigger? At some point, the ROI on spending for football will diminish and reducing costs will not necessarily reduce the revenue produced. Adding that money into Men's Basketball would be a better use of the funding.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I’m sorry did you just mention Gonzaga?
    LOL, they come up in the mix of names for conference realignment often.
    I've seen them even floated for B12. If they had football they would probably be AAC/MWC or P4.

I'm down with that.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Cash Cow? There is a significant number of fans that have severe apathy towards the program right now. Do we think that number will get smaller or bigger? At some point, the ROI on spending for football will diminish and reducing costs will not necessarily reduce the revenue produced. Adding that money into Men's Basketball would be a better use of the funding.
    Yes football is the cash cow of the athletic department and to argue anything else is just ludicrous. I’ll agree that there’s diminishing returns on directly investing into football at this point, but that cutting of the FB at its most would look like 3%, not 30%.

Careful what you wish for, sounds like you’re wanting to trade places with Illinois state. I’ll pass.
    *one day later*

How long are the three NO votes going to stick with the ACC? BIG has already expressed interest in UNC and FSU. Clemson to the SEC.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie