Page 719 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 2196196697097177187197207217297698191219 ... LastLast
Results 7,181 to 7,190 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

https://www.thedickinsonpress.com/op...p-a-little-bit

I like this guy. He doesn’t really answer Mcfeely, but the questions are all loaded, and Cook does a good job of stepping around the mines and filling space with positive stuff.

Regarding enrollment, I’m hearing that freshman class is up yet again. Grad students too. But that’s just word of mouth, so we’ll have to wait and see.

But in the bigger picture, the funding model ND uses now is fatally flawed. The real issue is that ND has way too many – and I mean way too many – schools for its population.

Here’s a metaphor that sums it up. Suppose a guy has 11 trees on his lot and they are starting to compete for space and water. The ND model would stipulate that he cut a few feet off each one each year. But what’s going to happen? They’re all going to die. The correct answer is to remove a few to let the bigger ones survive and thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    https://www.thedickinsonpress.com/op...p-a-little-bit

I like this guy. He doesn’t really answer Mcfeely, but the questions are all loaded, and Cook does a good job of stepping around the mines and filling space with positive stuff.

Regarding enrollment, I’m hearing that freshman class is up yet again. Grad students too. But that’s just word of mouth, so we’ll have to wait and see.

But in the bigger picture, the funding model ND uses now is fatally flawed. The real issue is that ND has way too many – and I mean way too many – schools for its population.

Here’s a metaphor that sums it up. Suppose a guy has 11 trees on his lot and they are starting to compete for space and water. The ND model would stipulate that he cut a few feet off each one each year. But what’s going to happen? They’re all going to die. The correct answer is to remove a few to let the bigger ones survive and thrive.
    What ND colleges should be shut down & no one would notice outside of 100-200 people?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    What ND colleges should be shut down & no one would notice outside of 100-200 people?
    Either Mayville or Valley City should be closed. And maybe one of either Lake Region or Bottineau. This will never happen though.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    Either Mayville or Valley City should be closed. And maybe one of either Lake Region or Bottineau. This will never happen though.
    The problem is most of them are in the state constitution and can't be closed without an amendment. Agree that Mayville really needs to be merged into VCSU. Dickinson is a degree mill and an embarrassment to the rest of the system. I don't know enough about the junior colleges, but in general there's a nationwide shortage in the trades so I'd lean towards keeping them. If one's a lot worse than the others I'm ok with it going.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    The problem is most of them are in the state constitution and can't be closed without an amendment. Agree that Mayville really needs to be merged into VCSU. Dickinson is a degree mill and an embarrassment to the rest of the system. I don't know enough about the junior colleges, but in general there's a nationwide shortage in the trades so I'd lean towards keeping them. If one's a lot worse than the others I'm ok with it going.
    I would ask why this happened. That would give you a reference point for how to fix the underlying problem.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Consolidation and pooling of resources, instead of having 9 mediocre non-universities we should have 3 outstanding ones...

Not to mention the hypocrisy of super conservative ND lawmakers who 1) Hate gov't waste and 2) Hate spending money on higher-ed, breaking their necks to keep zombie schools open on the public dime
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Consolidation and pooling of resources, instead of having 9 mediocre non-universities we should have 3 outstanding ones...

Not to mention the hypocrisy of super conservative ND lawmakers who 1) Hate gov't waste and 2) Hate spending money on higher-ed, breaking their necks to keep zombie schools open on the public dime
    Valley City absorbs into NDSU
    Mayville absorbs into und
    dickinson absorbs into bismarck

that would help

I always love the wasted money to "shrink wrap" the valley city baseball bus or dickinson st "basketball" bus. just think of the money saved dumping 2-3 schools.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Does the constitution specify that each of those schools be a separate entity? Or just that there be an institution of higher education in those cities?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Does the constitution specify that each of those schools be a separate entity? Or just that there be an institution of higher education in those cities?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    https://ndlegis.gov/constit/a08.pdf
    Section 6.
    1. A board of higher education, to be officially known as the state board of higher
    education, is hereby created for the control and administration of the following state
    educational institutions, to wit:
    a. The state university and school of mines, at Grand Forks, with their substations.
    b. The state agricultural college and experiment station, at Fargo, with their
    substations.
    c. The school of science, at Wahpeton.
    d. The state normal schools and teachers colleges, at Valley City, Mayville, Minot,
    and Dickinson.
    e. The school of forestry, at Bottineau.
    f. And such other state institutions of higher education as may hereafter be
    established.
    I suppose you could try to argue that control and admin of a school includes closing it, but good luck with that.

As for Lurker's point, I believe this is fallout from the 1910's-20's political interference that caused NDSU to lose accreditation and the first ever recall of a state governor.

Bill Connelly
    @ESPN_BillC

in regards to NDSU "You make your intentions known, and then you get invited. There is almost certainly at LEAST one conference that would send out an invitation if it was told the invitation would be accepted"

DING DING DING we have a WINNER and its from an ESPN writer