Page 511 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 114114615015095105115125135215616111011 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,110 of 13493

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    "I don’t really know what NDSU should do, and I don’t really know if there’s anything it can do."

Pain

The minute the NCAA changed the rules to "must have bona fide invite" to move ... you knew ...

A solo actor won't get it done unless they have "Liberty U" level money and influence.

Otherwise, to come in cold, with no invite, will take a strong consortium.

Paywall. I wonder what the article says.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    The minute the NCAA changed the rules to "must have bona fide invite" to move ... you knew ...

A solo actor won't get it done unless they have "Liberty U" level money and influence.

Otherwise, to come in cold, with no invite, will take a strong consortium.
    Couldn’t disagree more

You’re talking about something like the WAC fantasy that lived on these boards a few years ago. There may have been a time when that might have been a small possibility, but going forward, in the "transformed" D1, there is no way there will ever be another FBS conference created. It will never happen.

NDSU needs an invite to join an existing conference that also has financial appeal to NDSU, and at some point, it will happen

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    Paywall. I wonder what the article says.
    Does NDSU make the jump to FBS over the next five years, and if so, which Group of 5 conference do they join? Assuming an expanded playoff happens sooner rather than later and they don’t garner interest from any P5 conferences (although I think they could win the Pac-12 next year if they were in the conference). — Scott C.

NDSU might be in the most precarious spot for conference realignment. The Bison already dominate FCS to the point where it’s almost boring, and now their top challengers are leaving for the FBS. It seems natural that they should just move up as well.

But the first thing about moving up to FBS from FCS is that a school needs to be invited to a conference, unless it’s Liberty and overflowing with cash. JMU, Sam Houston and Jacksonville State all got invitations. One issue is there isn’t a natural fit for NDSU among the G5 conferences. The MAC is probably the closest, but that’s adding a lot of travel to MAC schools that don’t have a lot of money. The Mountain West is already an airplane league, but it would add even more travel, especially for schools in California. The MWC chose not to add anybody in this past round of realignment in large part because its TV partners said they wouldn’t give the league any more money for expanding. And that’s the other issue for NDSU. The Bison likely don’t bring enough eyeballs to make an impact on TV deals.

NDSU athletic director Matt Larsen said last summer that the Bison were “well-positioned” if an FBS call was to come. NDSU moved up to Division II from Division I in 2004. That wasn’t long ago. The school, program and athletic department continue to grow.

Becoming an FBS independent like Liberty has been doesn’t feel like a smart move from a financial standpoint for NDSU, and the number of FBS independents is about to drop with Liberty and New Mexico State going to Conference USA. I don’t really know what NDSU should do, and I don’t really know if there’s anything it can do.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Does NDSU make the jump to FBS over the next five years, and if so, which Group of 5 conference do they join? Assuming an expanded playoff happens sooner rather than later and they don’t garner interest from any P5 conferences (although I think they could win the Pac-12 next year if they were in the conference). — Scott C.

The Mountain West is already an airplane league, but it would add even more travel, especially for schools in California. The MWC chose not to add anybody in this past round of realignment in large part because its TV partners said they wouldn’t give the league any more money for expanding. And that’s the other issue for NDSU. The Bison likely don’t bring enough eyeballs to make an impact on TV deals.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    I disagree with him on the bolded part. Our numbers in FCS are already decent.

The bigger issue is that the MWC won’t add anyone until it gets more $$, and that won’t happen until TV deals get redone in an expanded playoff scenario.

Reading the tea leaves, NDSU is only interested in the MWC. It’s a tough fit but it’s not insurmountable and there is precedent.

The answer is that NDSU needs to be patient and selective, while being aggressive behind the scenes. This is where the new POTU comes in.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

One day in the next 1.5 years, I want to wake up and see notifications of NDSU being invited to the MWC. Preferably tomorrow morning but I think we should win another title to give us an even 10 to cap things off. 10 titles in 12 years sounds better than 9 in 11.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The bigger issue is that the MWC won’t add anyone until it gets more $$, and that won’t happen until TV deals get redone in an expanded playoff scenario.
    I'm certainly not an expert in such things but I wonder if NDSU going to the MWC brings not only all of the eyeballs from ND but also a decent amount in MSP to the Mountain West Conference. Perhaps I'm fooling myself, though. The people I personally associate with in MSP definitely follow NDSU so my perspective is obviously skewed.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I'm certainly not an expert in such things but I wonder if NDSU going to the MWC brings not only all of the eyeballs from ND but also a decent amount in MSP to the Mountain West Conference. Perhaps I'm fooling myself, though. The people I personally associate with in MSP definitely follow NDSU so my perspective is obviously skewed.
    I think it's safe to say going FBS would pull more eyeballs in general toward NDSU. How many I have no idea.

Reading the tea leaves, NDSU is only interested in the MWC. It’s a tough fit but it’s not insurmountable and there is precedent.

The answer is that NDSU needs to be patient and selective, while being aggressive behind the scenes. This is where the new POTU comes in.

The MW tv deals are based upon 2 major factors..First and foremost is the availability of PST and MST time slots. Most of our football games are played at night. The second factor is eyeballs. Despite having some major markets, the tv viewership is not great. Not many people in the media saturated East have much interest in watching games that in many cases don't start until 10 PM. The expanded playoffs will not likely result in more tv money for the MW.

While, I do think your football program would do well in the MW, there are other factors at play here as well. Number 1, I don't think the MW will go past 12 members. To be sure, schools may leave creating an opening so the door is not closed. You are a viable candidate. However, a football only invitation is unlikely.

This brings up point 2. Over the last few years, the MW schools are spending big money and resources on basketball. The goal is to be the best basketball conference out west. Gonzaga explored joining the MW a couple years ago and it appears that there are ongoing discussions about that..If you were invited you would be expected to share in the basketball push.

Football will still be important but the P5 are big old nasty monsters and they are not good sharers..

It is better for the bottom line for the MW to have 4 or 5 schools make the big dance than a a major bowl game..