Page 63 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465731131635631063 ... LastLast

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    The 10th place SEC team would outdraw them in heartbeat, plus you are talking about advertising revenue, and TV ratings. GSU means something to people here, means little if anything to FBS folks. Its a money thing and the P5 conferences have a lot more pull when getting schools into bowl games than the belt does.

Last year:
    Belt had 2 bowl teams with 7 eligible teams.
    8-4 WKU didn't get a game (WKU has just as much history and following as GSU if not more)
    You didn't say it would be an SEC team. You stated a "6 win team from ANY other conference", so I took that as possibly Akron at 6-6 or Texas State at 6-6 being the other schools they would be pitted against for selection.

Also, the "10th place SEC team"? The conference is the best, but it would be tough for the 10th best to get to 6 wins.

For discussion sake only, how many fans would Vanderbilt at 6-6 send to a bowl game over 1000 miles away from campus? How many would a first time bowl-going GSU send?

Interesting article in paper today about expansion for FargoDome for NDSU Bison games. It appears 500 to 1000 more seats is very possible with moving the press boxes, etc. I thought it was really odd about throwing around 5000 and 7500 seats with structural modifications. Unless NDSU was planning to move up, it would not seem feasible financially to do that. I guess it could be mere happenstance. But perhaps NDSU, behind the scenes, it actively looking to move up for football after we Quad. And expansion to the dome is a part of that.

A 24,000 seat FargoDome would work for any one of the non Big Five conferences. Perhaps, not ideal, but as mentioned before we could be the Duke or Fenway of College Football.

And let me clarify the aforementioned. It just seemed really odd that they would throw around adding 5000 or 7500 seats unless they had some preliminary discussions or professional estimates that it could be done without tearing the roof off. That is what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    Interesting article in paper today about expansion for FargoDome for NDSU Bison games. It appears 500 to 1000 more seats is very possible with moving the press boxes, etc. I thought it was really odd about throwing around 5000 and 7500 seats with structural modifications. Unless NDSU was planning to move up, it would not seem feasible financially to do that. I guess it could be mere happenstance. But perhaps NDSU, behind the scenes, it actively looking to move up for football after we Quad. And expansion to the dome is a part of that.

A 24,000 seat FargoDome would work for any one of the non Big Five conferences. Perhaps, not ideal, but as mentioned before we could be the Duke or Fenway of College Football.
    This isnt new. But as some one already said---this sound bite has more to do with the proposed convention center.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Throwing about the 5000 to 7500 seats with structural modification is though. The chatter has always been to add a few 100 seats here or there. It does not make sense to throw out those numbers unless they preliminarily believe it could be done.

Throwing about the 5000 to 7500 seats with structural modification is though. The chatter has always been to add a few 100 seats here or there. It does not make sense to throw out those numbers unless they preliminarily believe it could be done.
    No the chatter hasnt always been about 100 seats here or there.

Many have known about the research on the feasibility to add seats. History has shown you can build anything you want. All it costs is money----BUT--The ROI wasnt deemed viable at that time. This information has been posted here numerous times.
    Last edited by 56BISON73; 10-27-2014 at 04:03 AM.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

McFeely wrote a blog about exactly that in February. Piepkorn and the Engineering people discussing it threw out cost estimates of $125 Million to maybe $150 Million for adding a second deck that would add that many seats.

I just saw online that it was estimated at $35 million for 5000 seat expansion. $150 million is obviously absurd and unrealistic. (35 million might be too.) Why would they even talk to media about expansion if it is $150 million?

I just saw online that it was estimated at $35 million for 5000 seat expansion. $150 million is obviously absurd and unrealistic. (35 million might be too.) Why would they even talk to media about expansion if it is $150 million?
    A link would be nice.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Adding that many seats means raising the roof and adding a second deck. That means the main support posts need to be moved to the outside of the building and it's close to starting over. I'd say it would cost way more than $35 Million. Whether it would cost $125-150 is debatable. The REASON it is discussed is because the ONLY WAY the City of Fargo/Dome Authority gets involved in adding football seats anywhere is if they are in the Fargodome. NEW STADIUM = 100% NDSU financing and that isn't likely to happen for a very very very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Adding that many seats means raising the roof and adding a second deck. That means the main support posts need to be moved to the outside of the building and it's close to starting over. I'd say it would cost way more than $35 Million. Whether it would cost $125-150 is debatable. The REASON it is discussed is because the ONLY WAY the City of Fargo/Dome Authority gets involved in adding football seats anywhere is if they are in the Fargodome. NEW STADIUM = 100% NDSU financing and that isn't likely to happen for a very very very long time.
    It doesn't sound like the FargoDome Authority is particularly stoked about even this expansion. I think they're entertaining it as a way to secure the convention space expansion at the FargoDome rather than downtown.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie