Page 1207 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 20770711071157119712051206120712081209121712571307 ... LastLast
Results 12,061 to 12,070 of 13493

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Oregon State players, who were in Valley Football Center preparing for Friday’s practice when the news broke, were only willing to look ahead to a 2023 Pac-12 season.

“I don’t think our team needs to worry about it. Wherever we go, we go. Where we don’t go, we don’t go,” right tackle Taliese Fuaga said. “Our team is here in Corvallis. Wherever we play, we play.”

Said quarterback Ben Gulbranson: “We’re just excited for the 2023 season and look forward to winning a lot of ball games.”
    I hope our team can stay focused like this and not get distracted by all the FBS noise.
    It would be nice to return to Frisco and win another one this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    there's still a longshot PAC rebuilds itself and poaches some schools. thats what we need to hope for right now.

Odds are we won't be able to move with this round, but there will still be more movement eventually. Ultimately the power conferences are going to consolidate and split off, but that will take more time.

Most likely we are gonna have to grin and bear it with fcs a few more years.
    The playoffs are still fun.
    I don't expect people to embrace it though, and attendance will almost certainly suffer while apathy builds. They have to give people some hope for a change, because the rest of FCS is embarrassing and so uninteresting.

Until they make a move to FBS, I've lost considerable interest. I'll watch the games on TV when able, but it isn't appointment viewing for me and the experience in the dome isn't a novelty or enthralling anymore.

This is so hard to predict. Standord, Cal, Washington State and Oregon State have more drawing power for a TV contraxt than the entire Mountain West Combined. Unlike the Mountain West, who has a crappy TV deal (4 million pet school average) to split among 4 more teams, the 4 Pac 12 teams can negotiate a better deal if they poach Boise, San Diego State, Colorado State and Fresno. Then they are up to 8 teams. That would leave the Mountain West with 7

But you have the exit fees. Maybe the PAC 12 has some money in reserve to help pay them?

The Mountain West TV deal goes through 2025-2026. Can the renegotiate? Then again the PAC 12 has no deal which is good and bad. But poaching their remaining 4 schools has no exit fee

But I can see a short term scheduling arrangement for sure.

Then again, I dont believe the Big 10 is done with 4 west coast schools. It just doesnt make sense

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post

Then again, I dont believe the Big 10 is done with 4 west coast schools. It just doesnt make sense
    They are done, the only thing they want is ND and/or schools in the ACC.

The ACC is going to be the next battleground.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    They are done, the only thing they want is ND and/or schools in the ACC.

The ACC is going to be the next battleground.
    The Big 10 is becoming the professional super league that will take the top teams and split with the SEC in a NFC/AFC style.
    They don't need or want 100 teams, maybe 24 or so each. Thats larger than the NFL.

When I think about the events of this week, and how quickly the PAC was torn apart, it does make me a little sad. We are doing all this just to turn the top of college sports into Pro teams chasing money. The old NCAA system is rapidly dying.

Maybe there is hope for whatever emerges as the second tier out of this mess, I'm not sure. But until they put some structures in place that can even the playing field a bit, its just all one unending mega money chase now.

NDSU will never be in the top tier of this new system. If we are fortunate, maybe someday we can be part of a more rational second tier. I just have no idea how long that will take.

OSU and Wazzu have been raking in millions for years and both are carrying huge debt. They founded the conference. They didn't have to get into the money chase but they did. Certainly a cautionary tale.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Very interesting listen to The Audible podcast with Stewart Mandel and Bruce Feldman talking about realignment. Specifically the portion where they talked about what will become of Stanford. Basically there's this assumption that Stanford is flush with cash, but just a few years ago they were looking at cutting multiple sports and there isn't great interest on campus in football. Didn't rule out ending up as an FCS team.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    OSU and Wazzu have been raking in millions for years and both are carrying huge debt. They founded the conference. They didn't have to get into the money chase but they did. Certainly a cautionary tale.
    Cautionary? Seems like they just hit the jackpot.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    The Big 10 is becoming the professional super league that will take the top teams and split with the SEC in a NFC/AFC style.
    They don't need or want 100 teams, maybe 24 or so each. Thats larger than the NFL.

When I think about the events of this week, and how quickly the PAC was torn apart, it does make me a little sad. We are doing all this just to turn the top of college sports into Pro teams chasing money. The old NCAA system is rapidly dying.

Maybe there is hope for whatever emerges as the second tier out of this mess, I'm not sure. But until they put some structures in place that can even the playing field a bit, its just all one unending mega money chase now.

NDSU will never be in the top tier of this new system. If we are fortunate, maybe someday we can be part of a more rational second tier. I just have no idea how long that will take.
    I think the B10 and SEC schools need to make sure they know what they're getting themselves into. Seems like they're working really hard to just become semi-pro developmental leagues.

The majority of money in and around college athletics either comes from universities, states, school boosters, etc. Even these monster TV contracts are being driven by the fact there’s a bunch of eyeballs across the country that want to keep tabs on schools that are playing in their same division. The direction they're going is further stripping down the facade that these are just college kids playing ball while getting an education. Maybe I'm projecting, but I don't watch P5 football anymore and I know I'm not the only one. It's essentially the D league but the teams just get a school's name slapped on the jersey.
    Last edited by NDSU92; 08-05-2023 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

They might draw more viewers if the games were played in the afternoon on the west coast although then there are more games going on at the same time across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    What real benefit is that to the MWC? Didn’t the PAC just prove that no one wants to pay for games in the pacific time zone?

So you add a couple prestigious schools but does your media deal really go up that much? They’re not going to even the shitty Apple deal the PAC was offered.

MWC should have long term glasses on and realize they need to move more central. Not saying that means NDSU but being heavily weighted to the West is a death knell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's OK to not be OK.