Page 265 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 1652152552632642652662672753153657651265 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,650 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Washington State new coach Rolovich..

Rolovich doesn’t have the same social media following as his WSU predecessor, but he’s just as active on Twitter as Leach, if not more so. The coach’s latest tweet? A poll, in which @NickRolovich posed a thought to fans while watching North Dakota State versus James Madison in the FCS title game, “Not sure if I’m more in love with this Qb play in the FCS championship or the woodchuck commercial.”
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

I hope we never go FBS just to deprive joy to certain people who think we are entitled.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    I hope we never go FBS just to deprive joy to certain people who think we are entitled.
    hurt the program or hold back the program because of our silent majority ? Do'h k. great fan you are.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    hurt the program or hold back the program because of our silent majority ? Do'h k. great fan you are.
    Why don't you just send an email to Matt & Dean offering to meet them and show them the way. Post the email here and include it with your letter to the editor of the Forum and Star Tribune. Maybe add your local Battle Lake or Breckenridge papers as well if they still exist. Should be easy since you have all the answers. Don't forget to include a rendering of the new stadium and the financials which are kind of important.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Make the FCS Great Again (MFGA)

During the FBS conversations there has been one main thread between both camps... Most everyone unhappy with the competition level in the FCS. The Pro-FCS camp loves to win National Titles with the notion that those titles matter. The Pro-FBS crowd will say that they don't matter since the FCS is watered down and most of the games don't matter (also known as the wake me up when you get to Frisco crowd).

One of the rallying cries of the Pro-FCS crowd is that the FCS as a whole just needs to get better. What practically can be done to make the FCS great again? Also, is this something that the FCS actually wants to do?

In my estimation, only about 5-10 schools in the FCS have football as their primary sport where they choose to fund up to the highest levels to compete and win.

With the other schools in the FCS that are not full steam ahead in football, do we ever expect that they get better? Do we think that the fringe competitive teams will somehow find the way to get better with more funding (and potentially taking away money from other more lucrative sports)?

These are all questions that we should be asking ourselves.

If we choose to not explore the FBS and stay in the FCS do we honestly think that the competition will get better or will it get worse?
    IF we choose to set our sights higher it will cost a lot more but the competition that we'd face would 100% be better than it is now.

Is it more likely that the FCS will get better or that we could figure out a funding source to try our hand at the FBS?

IMO you are making a mistake at the outset that a number of posters make including the one leading the charge who thinks he has all the answers. That is reducing those who do not see a move as feasible now to an Anti-FBS or FCS forever stance.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    IMO you are making a mistake at the outset that a number of posters make including the one leading the charge who thinks he has all the answers. That is reducing those who do not see a move as feasible now to an Anti-FBS or FCS forever stance.
    In no way am i suggesting that the camp that you are in today is the same one that you may be in the future. The reality though is that where we are today is virtually the same spot we were in 5 years ago. There are 3-5 teams each year that realistically play for a championship in today's world. Does anyone think that in 5 years the competition will get better? What about 10 years? What makes anyone think that the FCS will find the money/resources to fund to the level to increase the number of challengers that actually have a chance at a Natty?

If the competition doesn't get better??? Then what? It's ok to be a shark in a pond filled with minnows?

If so, then i would suggest that we reduce the football budget and fund other sports (specifically Men's/Women's Basketball). No reason to spend at our current level if without really trying we could be a top 5 team annually. Much more bang for the buck to fund for example men's basketball than football.

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Why don't you just send an email to Matt & Dean offering to meet them and show them the way. Post the email here and include it with your letter to the editor of the Forum and Star Tribune. Maybe add your local Battle Lake or Breckenridge papers as well if they still exist. Should be easy since you have all the answers. Don't forget to include a rendering of the new stadium and the financials which are kind of important.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I am on board with this.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    In no way am i suggesting that the camp that you are in today is the same one that you may be in the future. The reality though is that where we are today is virtually the same spot we were in 5 years ago. There are 3-5 teams each year that realistically play for a championship in today's world. Does anyone think that in 5 years the competition will get better? What about 10 years? What makes anyone think that the FCS will find the money/resources to fund to the level to increase the number of challengers that actually have a chance at a Natty?

If the competition doesn't get better??? Then what? It's ok to be a shark in a pond filled with minnows?

If so, then i would suggest that we reduce the football budget and fund other sports (specifically Men's/Women's Basketball). No reason to spend at our current level if without really trying we could be a top 5 team annually. Much more bang for the buck to fund for example men's basketball than football.
    The fact is NDSU is caught between a rock and a hard place in the current environment. I am not going to list everything because it has been discussed ad naseum. I will say that the suggestion that you have made will happen at NDSU when pigs fly.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post

I think that you and I are probably in the same camp here. The problem with staying is the level of competition. The problem with moving up is that at the FBS level there are probably more teams at the start of the year that could feasibly win the Championship. But that number dwindles down to about same number of teams who could win FBS as could win FCS. This was probably the least controversial year as to who the 4 semifinal teams would be and Oklahoma showed there were really only 3 teams that belonged in the conversation. Minnesota finished in the top 10, do you think they would've fared well?

Our administration is saying the right things even though it's not the whole truth. They can say that NDSU is and belongs at the second level and they TECHNICALLY are. Realistically they are in the third tier (G5). The second tier, FOR ME, is appealing for 3 reasons.

1. Face new teams (including more P5 games).
    2. More competitive games.
    3. Bowl games don't do much for me but there are a few locations that could be fun (NY6 games withstanding, but it's doubtful NDSU gets an invite to any of those).

Ideally, NDSU would be able to work with some G5 schools with football as a main sport to start driving some change. Get together with some TV people, G5 ADs and push for some change in football. It'd be a HUUUUGE mountain to climb, but it could be done. Might be more doable to get the P5s on board to grenade the NCAA in P5 football.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk