Page 1060 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 605609601010105010581059106010611062107011101160 ... LastLast
Results 10,591 to 10,600 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    You want P5 schools to get their TV revenue, donations, ticket sales, etc. "taxed" for the benefit of non-P5 schools?
    Doesn't that already happen with the NCAA subsidizing everyone else? Isn't the P5 wanting all the money they earn the reason people are talking about splitting from the NCAA?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I think he's suggesting through the NCAA, almost like a luxury tax or revenue sharing in the professional leagues
    NCAA money from the NCAA tournament is already shared across all conferences and then to schools in those conferences. It's also shared with other sports championships. Within schools their football programs and sometimes basketball programs help fund other sports at the school. So the major P5/P6 programs are already getting "taxed" multiple ways.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    There are no profits. 100% of the revenue from the big boy schools gets put into the program for things like fancy players lounges, nutrition programs. etc.
    What do you call the funds that support non-revenue sports? (what or where do those funds come from - for the P5s)

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    There are no profits. 100% of the revenue from the big boy schools gets put into the program for things like fancy players lounges, nutrition programs. etc.
    And the volleyball program and the track program and the swimming program, etc.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

About these "profits" ... 18 of 229.
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/i-fou...t-hirko-ph-d-/

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    About these "profits" ... 18 of 229.
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/i-fou...t-hirko-ph-d-/
    This is all very nice in theory. The writer's approach is reasonable. But lets understand that these are not-for-profit institutions. They are not run with the objective of making money, therefore, they mostly don't, and in a larger sense they can't. They are obligated to, more or less, spend whatever comes in on furthering the objectives of the organization (or alternatively paying stupid salaries to managers and executives). So, everyone should understand that we need to take this notion that only 18 of these 229 athletic departments are "profitable" with a huge grain of salt.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by blackdiamond2 View Post
    What do you call the funds that support non-revenue sports? (what or where do those funds come from - for the P5s)
    Those funds are from income primarily from football and basketball. As long as your athletic department expenses >= income, there is no profit. Does the University of Oregon athletic department file a tax return showing a profit or loss?
    It's OK to not be OK.

Good Discussion! Good points Audit and Indy.

At some point in the future...

The P5 basketball and football players will go to court to try to get paid directly from the schools - won't they?

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by blackdiamond2 View Post
    Good Discussion! Good points Audit and Indy.

At some point in the future...

The P5 basketball and football players will go to court to try to get paid directly from the schools - won't they?
    They already are. Johnson v NCAA is in circuit court right now asking for student athletes to be considered employees of the school and paid directly in cash. I'm pretty sure they'll win. Next step is share of earnings, I'm somewhat surprised that hasn't been filed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    They already are. Johnson v NCAA is in circuit court right now asking for student athletes to be considered employees of the school and paid directly in cash. I'm pretty sure they'll win. Next step is share of earnings, I'm somewhat surprised that hasn't been filed yet.
    This could be a good thing and not necessarily the dividing rod that some think, especially if coupled with serious NIL reform. The collectives would just become formal donors again and all the $$ would flow through the schools where it would be subject to equitable sharing, etc

Just speculation, but it’s possible with DB on the NCAA committee, NDSU knows NIL is soon to be subject to a massive change in scope, which is why there is no movement here. Just a guess and I have no idea, but some type of reform is needed