Page 154 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 541041441521531541551561642042546541154 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Gonzaga looking into joining Mountain West Conference.

Gonzaga, which advanced to the national championship game a year ago and is a No. 4 seed in this year’s NCAA tournament, is in negotiations about joining the conference, possibly in time for the 2018-19 basketball season......

......There’s been a lot of speculation that other schools would join the MW with Gonzaga, as sort of a package deal. But multiple sources have said that’s not the case. If the presidents of the MW’s 11 full members vote to extend an invitation to Gonzaga, it will be a stand-alone offer.
    If BYU, New Mexico State, Rice, UTEP, St. Mary’s, Grand Canyon or any other school want to join the MW, they will have to pursue those opportunities on their own rather than on the Zags’ coattails......

......Gonzaga doesn’t have a football team, so its addition wouldn’t affect the MW’s current setup in football of two six-team divisions, with the winners of each meeting in a championship game. It would simply give the conference the same number of schools in basketball that it currently has in football, balancing out the football-only membership of Hawaii, which is in the Big West Conference in other sports.
    https://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...-mw/414763002/

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post

and NDSU should take Hawaii's spot and save the conference money
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

JMU decided to NOT to go FBS in 2014 even though they were offered a spot in the Sun Belt.

One must also remember that when moving up there are probationary periods where your teams wont be eligible for bowl games--think Georgia Southern and you wont be eligible for conference bowl money splits or March madness money. So you have to have alot of money in reserve to make through those periods of non-revenue.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post

i dont understand what benefit this really would be for gonzaga

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It's pretty cool that Denver ended up in the Summit League. They wanted into the MW - at least we were a second choice.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    It's pretty cool that Denver ended up in the Summit League. They wanted into the MW - at least we were a second choice.
    And would bolt in 5 seconds for the MWC, or Gonzagas spot in the WCC

Adding Gonzaga is a smart move by Thompson. Had been rooting for Nevada as a tourney underdog because I really like EM as a coach (stupid Ramblers … sorry, not getting on the bandwagon. Not saying they aren’t good, but …).

The Zags boost MWC hoops and do much more for the MW than adding a football school. Makes me think Thompson might be smarter than I thought, which makes me even more certain there is no way in h*ll they add an FCS school anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Adding Gonzaga is a smart move by Thompson. Had been rooting for Nevada as a tourney underdog because I really like EM as a coach (stupid Ramblers … sorry, not getting on the bandwagon. Not saying they aren’t good, but …).

The Zags boost MWC hoops and do much more for the MW than adding a football school. Makes me think Thompson might be smarter than I thought, which makes me even more certain there is no way in h*ll they add an FCS school anytime soon.
    Correct, but all the positive goes to the MWC, Gonzaga doesnt need to increase their profile and frankly the MWC isn't helping them at all, they don't need to move. Travel doesn't change, in fact it moves them from California to Wyoming, Nevada, New Mexico, they currently play in Large California Metros, seems like a lateral move for them, not missing the fact that the WCC is all Religious Privates, seems odd they would join State schools

That's just me though but whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    Correct, but all the positive goes to the MWC, Gonzaga doesnt need to increase their profile and frankly the MWC isn't helping them at all, they don't need to move. Travel doesn't change, in fact it moves them from California to Wyoming, Nevada, New Mexico, they currently play in Large California Metros, seems like a lateral move for them, not missing the fact that the WCC is all Religious Privates, seems odd they would join State schools

That's just me though but whatever
    Agreed. I thought it seemed odd from GUs perspective too. Maybe since the MWC is higher profile (thanks to FB) than WCC?? Not really sure what they gain.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Agreed. I thought it seemed odd from GUs perspective too. Maybe since the MWC is higher profile (thanks to FB) than WCC?? Not really sure what they gain.
    MWC is a multiple bid league. The WCC is surprisingly a one bid league, unless Gonzaga doesn't win the championship game. Maybe they just want to ensure their tournament entry.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.