Page 1265 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 2657651165121512551263126412651266126712751315 ... LastLast
Results 12,641 to 12,650 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

You could also turn that argument around and ask "why do tiny population states like ND and SD have multiple D1 football programs?"
    Don't believe everything you think.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Is there an option that gets the MVFC as a whole to become FBS? I know some here desperately want to leave behind most of those schools but that might end up being the only path. I too fear that we're going to be stuck.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Is there an option that gets the MVFC as a whole to become FBS? I know some here desperately want to leave behind most of those schools but that might end up being the only path. I too fear that we're going to be stuck.
    I don't see moving up as a whole a possibility. Too many wouldn't do it. But...it would be a good start. NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UND would be a lock. Maybe Missouri St. Then we would need teams to fill in. Montana & Montana St would need to be pushed hard. Cal Poly & Cal Davis did it with once before...I'd try again. If they'd be willing to increase their investment and actually support their football team, we could even include the Gophers.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I don't see moving up as a whole a possibility. Too many wouldn't do it. But...it would be a good start. NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UND would be a lock. Maybe Missouri St. Then we would need teams to fill in. Montana & Montana St would need to be pushed hard. Cal Poly & Cal Davis did it with once before...I'd try again. If they'd be willing to increase their investment and actually support their football team, we could even include the Gophers.
    Yeah I don't see that happening. We'd need a little more ample surplus for that.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I agree that the MVFC wouldn't do it as a whole however if we could get one or two others (primarily in our region of the country) to do this, that would be a great way to get a conference like CUSA or MAC to take the risk of adding another division to their conference as football only.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    I agree that the MVFC wouldn't do it as a whole however if we could get one or two others (primarily in our region of the country) to do this, that would be a great way to get a conference like CUSA or MAC to take the risk of adding another division to their conference as football only.
    The question would be "what's in it for them?" , rather than what's in it for us.
    The answer needs to be LOTS more money, or they won't have a reason to do this.

I do think MAC is interested in expansion, if the money side works.

CUSA will add Tarleton (and maybe the entire UAC) before they add us.
    We see "Pud team" ... they see: Texas, growing school, easy travel, 24k stadium, Fort Worth market, texas a&m system money.
    Last edited by BigHorns; 09-14-2023 at 03:47 PM.

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    The question would be "what's in it for them?" , rather than what's in it for us.

We see "Pud team" ... they see: Texas, growing school, easy travel, 24k stadium, Fort Worth market, texas a&m system money.
    Not trying to be a Dick here it just comes naturally….what makes you think MAC wants to expand? I haven’t seen or read anything in that regards with them.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    Not trying to be a Dick here it just comes naturally….what makes you think MAC wants to expand? I haven’t seen or read anything in that regards with them.
    Among other things, reported rumors from media members in the know that WKU and MTSU were offered MAC membership.
    It would have supposedly required a long term GoR agreement (rumor was 20 years) to get ESPN to ante up. MTSU is holding out for AAC instead.

Which goes back to - the money has to work.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/s...058230787?s=20
    Last edited by BigHorns; 09-14-2023 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post

This is where I get lost. What is the mechanism for conferences getting more money? If media contracts are where the money comes from that either comes from new tv markets (where the school actually matters) or building a conference that is successful in football and exposure is gained in that way.

Where CUSA stands now, adding a team like Tarleton does next to nothing (they are NOT located in Ft. Worth - 80 miles away). Their school and fan base would literally draw LESS eyeballs than either NDSU or SDSU. Aside from them not really bringing any media market, NDSU/SDSU is lightyears ahead of them from a competitive standpoint.

If the CUSA wants to grow into a conference that can take on the Sunbelt and other G5 leagues then they need to do it by raising the level of their schools competitively. This will bring in the interest and would result in increased media payments.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    This is where I get lost. What is the mechanism for conferences getting more money? If media contracts are where the money comes from that either comes from new tv markets (where the school actually matters) or building a conference that is successful in football and exposure is gained in that way.

Where CUSA stands now, adding a team like Tarleton does next to nothing (they are NOT located in Ft. Worth - 80 miles away). Their school and fan base would literally draw LESS eyeballs than either NDSU or SDSU. Aside from them not really bringing any media market, NDSU/SDSU is lightyears ahead of them from a competitive standpoint.

If the CUSA wants to grow into a conference that can take on the Sunbelt and other G5 leagues then they need to do it by raising the level of their schools competitively. This will bring in the interest and would result in increased media payments.
    There is lots of speculation that Delaware and SFA are going to go FBS soon and will likely join the other recent move ups in CUSA. The MWC or AAC are never going to add a school directly from FCS. Our absolute and best opportunity is to grab SDSU and throw in on CUSA football only. If we can have a successful run in CUSA, we will get out forever home invite. Obviously there is tons of risk and $$$ at stake, but what other choice do we have?
    Last edited by AKBison; 09-15-2023 at 01:08 AM.