Page 840 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 3407407908308388398408418428508909401340 ... LastLast
Results 8,391 to 8,400 of 13491

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    ... but again that leads to the questions, why would they want to spread it around further?
    This is the problem UWash has right now: they don't bring enough to the B1G to warrant a full share, and thus they don't warrant a B1G invitation (unless it's a far reduced share). To the B1G, the UW juice is not worth the squeeze; adding UW doesn't bring at least a current share to the B1G table.

They don't bring what they eat to the potluck, so why invite them and add the mouth to feed.

" ... we don't believe that we have the wherewithal to get into a situation that's going to require a lot of new resources." -- DB

" ... if the right opportunity came up -- and right being defined as one that wouldn't require a lot of new resources -- we'd have to take a look at it ... " -- DB

DB left the road map: If not "a lot of new resources" were needed.

So something new, but that looked a lot like today, so needing few new resources. A few new, a few familiar, faces maybe? Haven't I said the answer is to build a northern entry-level FBS group, "Great West 2.0". I believe that's effectively what DB is alluding to.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Well, you're getting close to explaining why the MWC hasn't invited NDSU at this point.
    The MWC annual payout is currently $4 million annually, which is on average $1.8 million more than NDSU is currently getting from its media contract. However you aren't actually gaining the $4 million, since you need to subtract what NDSU is getting on their current media deal because the MWC deal takes your primary and secondary media rights.

While the MW currently has a few more units than the Summit in the NCAA basketball payouts, that isn't going to more than a couple thousand at most.

So, since the additional revenue is coming from a new FBS conference and not additional fundraising, where does the remainder of magical $5 million minimum additional revenue come from? Obviously the MWC will be renegotiating their deal soon enough and will likely increase the payout by some (depending on who is or isn't left in the conference), but again that leads to the questions, why would they want to spread it around further?
    Am I missing something? Look at the Knight Newhouse data. All MW teams are at $5.25M from NCAA postseason/conference/media distributions. NDSU is at $600k.

Apples to apples
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    " ... we don't believe that we have the wherewithal to get into a situation that's going to require a lot of new resources." -- DB

" ... if the right opportunity came up -- and right being defined as one that wouldn't require a lot of new resources -- we'd have to take a look at it ... " -- DB

So something new, but that looked a lot like today, so needing few new resources. A few new, a few familiar, faces maybe? Haven't I said the answer is to build a northern entry-level FBS group, "Great West 2.0". I believe that's effectively what DB is alluding to.
    I mean I guess you read that to mean that the only route forward is by including your little school in a plan to go FBS.

I read it to mean that the CUSA as it currently sits is a dead idea.

Obviously the point of being vague is that everyone can read into it how they want lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

so, 1) conferences won’t add teams that don’t add more than their fair share to the revenue pie, 2) we won’t go to a conference that requires NDSU to dedicate significantly more new resources. So obviously the answer is to put together a coalition of schools that are less prepared than us to move up in order to facilitate a move up? In what world does this make sense?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I read it to mean that the CUSA as it currently sits is a dead idea.

Obviously the point of being vague is that everyone can read into it how they want lol
    CUSA would add lots of new travel cost and little new revenue so yes, dead.

And your second sentence: 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    So obviously the answer is to put together a coalition of schools that are less prepared than us to move up in order to facilitate a move up?
    The ghost of the Great West is on line one for you.

The ghost of the Great West is on line one for you.
    Yeah, all it needs is for the tiny FCS schools to get together and agree to cut scholarship maximums at least twice and the resurrection ritual will be complete.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Am I missing something? Look at the Knight Newhouse data. All MW teams are at $5.25M from NCAA postseason/conference/media distributions. NDSU is at $600k.

Apples to apples
    First off, none of it is going to be apples to apples due to the shell game that is college athletics. That being said, NDSU signed their Learfield deal in 2020. I have no clue why they are reporting it differently but it doesn't change what they are making off of it, regardless of how they report it. So again, where is that $5 million coming from?

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Apples to apples
    College financial reporting for athletics really isn't as uniform as you might imagine.
    Different states have different rules, and schools intentionally and inadvertently categorize things differently.

My guess is the NDSU media deal is being incorporated in one of the categories like "other revenue" or "licensing" - technically we licensed our media rights.
    It's probable MWC would be a $2-3m improvement, but not a $5m improvement on the revenue side.
    Not sure how much the travel expenses would increase, but it would some. Maybe its a wash financially.

That being said, MWC is the best case scenario in G5 conferences for us.
    If we can't make the numbers work for MWC, then we can't make FBS work at all.