Page 1147 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 14764710471097113711451146114711481149115711971247 ... LastLast
Results 11,461 to 11,470 of 13493

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

NDSU should want ALL SPORTS for the MWC.

this basketball program SURELY needs new coach and a new philosphy to attract more fans/better recruits.

Track team has been tops for 10+ years, they need an upgrade to a better conference

Baseball/Softball/Volleyball would really be able to up their games as well!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

I am neither for or opposed to adding NDSU. Same goes for anybody they might add..I am far more in favor of not adding anyone. I don't think the MW is in desperation mode or needs to add anybody to survive. I guess it is possible the Pac 10 implodes and that changes everything. That seems unlikely to me, though.

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    This makes me wonder why you would want to have anything to do with the MW. You don't respect MW football (you can't think of one football team that could beat you) If the MW is full of stiffs as you suggest, they won't be a springboard for you to reach bigger and greater heights.

Why exactly would the MW want to add a school who finds your future conference mates beneath you.?

I believe participants who make the CFP earn 6 million bucks for their conference. That would be split 12 ways. 500 grand is nothing to sneeze at, but the MW earned 16 million bucks in this past NCAA tourney. Add that to all the dough they have earned over the last 5 years in the tourney. That is far more lucrative than a once decade trip to the CFP.

The MW is a basketball conference that plays football. I know you want FBS and that is all well and good but you have exactly the opposite philosophy. Football, football, football. What is in it for the MW and what is in it for you?

I have no idea what will happen. You may be invited to the MW this week, in 2 years, or never. Who knows? I really don't understand the appeal this has for you. I am not sure it makes sense for anybody.
    You cant spit out facts like that here. In one ear out the other...
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

I am neither for or opposed to adding NDSU. Same goes for anybody they might add..I am far more in favor of not adding anyone. I don't think the MW is in desperation mode or needs to add anybody to survive. I guess it is possible the Pac 10 implodes and that changes everything. That seems unlikely to me, though.
    Again, don’t disagree. If I were in your shoes I’d be saying the same thing you are. And if you were in mine I’m confident you’d be saying the same thing I am.

The reality is no G5 conference is calling NDSU unless they’re in a bit of spot. So we’re in the weird spot of cheering for the MW to get to the point of needing someone without getting gutted.

Fun times.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Default Re: Boise State agrees NDSU to MWC

A couple things here..The guy who wrote the piece is fairly new to the Statesman and Boise. He came from being a beat writer for James Madison. He does not represent the university.

Also, Boise doesn't decide anything as far as membership goes. There is an executive committee of 4 or 5 presidents who make recommendations to all the presidents. Then everybody votes.

The presidents, the commissioner and athletic directors already know what the plan will be should schools leave the conference. They are keeping it close to the vest for now but there has been vetting going on and lots of discussions with the TV people.

The tv deal can be reopened if schools leave and it might well happen. However, the MW will still have PST and MST times slots so the deal is likely to remain intact, as is, until the summer or 2026.
    Listen, this thread title is ridiculous and 99% of Bisonville knows it. And, of course, if I'm running a conference, I'd want conference invites to be unanimous.

Hell, when NDSU first went DI, the Big Sky turned us down (and South Dakota State.) Then, a couple years later, the Big Sky picked up South Dakota and North Dakota. That's like saying, "No thanks Ohio State and Penn State, we'd rather have Ohio and UPenn (in a parallel universe where UPenn is average academically.) And the Sky got what they deserved - NDSU has gone 8-1 in the postseason against the Big Sky's best with an average score of 41-18 with NDSU's sole loss being in OT, on their field, to the Big Sky's last national champion. The point is that we know that an MWC invitation is unlikely; even I, a huge Bison homer, realize that NDSU has to do a lot of work to get up to Colorado State's level, for example.

The one thing I'd say in NDSU's defense with the TV people is that, yes, Fargo-Moorhead is only a 250,000-person media market, but, unlike the typical G5 school that is the third-most popular college program in the city or town they are named for, NDSU the statewide #1 brand with plenty of interest in Minnesota, including Minneapolis.

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Listen, this thread title is ridiculous and 99% of Bisonville knows it. And, of course, if I'm running a conference, I'd want conference invites to be unanimous.

Hell, when NDSU first went DI, the Big Sky turned us down (and South Dakota State.) Then, a couple years later, the Big Sky picked up South Dakota and North Dakota. That's like saying, "No thanks Ohio State and Penn State, we'd rather have Ohio and UPenn (in a parallel universe where UPenn is average academically.) And the Sky got what they deserved - NDSU has gone 8-1 in the postseason against the Big Sky's best with an average score of 41-18 with NDSU's sole loss being in OT, on their field, to the Big Sky's last national champion. The point is that we know that an MWC invitation is unlikely; even I, a huge Bison homer, realize that NDSU has to do a lot of work to get up to Colorado State's level, for example.

The one thing I'd say in NDSU's defense with the TV people is that, yes, Fargo-Moorhead is only a 250,000-person media market, but, unlike the typical G5 school that is the third-most popular college program in the city or town they are named for, NDSU the statewide #1 brand with plenty of interest in Minnesota, including Minneapolis.
    Some would say the Flagship!
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    I still think we would be a good, above average MWC team on day 1. We would likely make a bowl.

BUT ... I'm pretty confident the top 3 MWC teams wouldn't have lost to Arizona last year. And a full FBS season tends to cause more injuries and require going further down the roster than we did for that game. A few folks have lost touch with reality after we've dominated fcs so long.
    FBS also comes with 22 more full scholly kids.

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Actually probably double handley typing eh!
    At least he has both hands on the keyboard. I can only imagine what the other hand might be doing most of the time.
    It's OK to not be OK.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I think it’s hard for many (myself probably first on this list) to see basketball really driving the bus with realignment for any conference. We all watched the Big East which was jam packed with blue blood basketball schools and terrible football schools get ripped apart for football money. Maybe we’re fools for thinking so, but idk. Does basketball really drive the bus financially for the majority of athletic departments in the MW? I honestly have no idea and don’t really know how to quantify it, maybe on head coaching salaries?

As far as the sweet talking some bison fans do about the G5 conferences, I think a lot of that comes from frustration of watching the teams I listed above never get a shot at an FBS schedule and get labeled “just FCS”. There isn’t an FBS school out there that will put us on the schedule anymore (as they shouldn’t) and that leads some equating schools to being scared.

You’ve always had a valid point about NDSU’s priority being football and not basketball and how that fits with the rest of the MW. For whatever reason our leadership seems content with running a decent low-major basketball program and not really pushing the envelope like it does in football. It’s not for lack of care in the fan base, we’d love to see great basketball again.
    San Diego State and the run to the finals will have a huge impact on MWC money. Granted a one off run, but more dollars than the bowls generate in football.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Quoted for truth.