Page 1192 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 19269210921142118211901191119211931194120212421292 ... LastLast
Results 11,911 to 11,920 of 13493

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Something to read by the pool this afternoon.
    https://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...means-fbs-jump

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    I don't think either of us are lawyers, but this makes no sense. One of the prime traits of competition is making offers against existing contracts. If a conference said something like "join us or none of us will schedule you again" you might have a case. But if they say "exercise the exit clause of your contract, join us, and we'll pay you more than you make now", that's literally how business works.

Take the recent Colorado move. The Big12 voted to accept them before Colorado BOR voted to leave the PAC.
    I am sure that all goes on..The school who wishes to move has to approach first. Colorado approached the Big 12 first. The Big 12 voting to accept them is fine and it did not matter if Colorado had not voted to leave yet.

In a lot, if not most, cases the invitation and acceptance are announced together.

But, if the MW approaches your school first they are liable for tampering. If you have approached them first, no tampering.

Of course maybe a third party, say Fox Sports, whispers in your ear that if you apply you have a very good chance to be accepted. That's okay. But, even though I am no lawyer I do not believe the MW can officially reach out to you first..That doesn't mean there hasn't been any vetting going on. They vet all potential invitees. But that is not the same as offering before you actually apply.

Nevada has switched conferences 4 times since 1971 and it was always done the same way. When the Pack was hastily admitted to the MW with Fresno it was okay because both schools had applied to the conference before. Nevada had applied to the WAC several times before being invited. When they were a 1AA school they approached the Big West and expressed their interest in moving up. They applied and were invited. Boise applied too but weren't invited for a few more years.

I don't think either of us are lawyers, but this makes no sense. One of the prime traits of competition is making offers against existing contracts. If a conference said something like "join us or none of us will schedule you again" you might have a case. But if they say "exercise the exit clause of your contract, join us, and we'll pay you more than you make now", that's literally how business works.

Take the recent Colorado move. The Big12 voted to accept them before Colorado BOR voted to leave the PAC.
    If you're a member of Moorhead Country Club I'm pretty sure Fargo Country Club can offer you membership.

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    I am sure that all goes on..The school who wishes to move has to approach first. Colorado approached the Big 12 first. The Big 12 voting to accept them is fine and it did not matter if Colorado had not voted to leave yet.

In a lot, if not most, cases the invitation and acceptance are announced together.

But, if the MW approaches your school first they are liable for tampering. If you have approached them first, no tampering.

Of course maybe a third party, say Fox Sports, whispers in your ear that if you apply you have a very good chance to be accepted. That's okay. But, even though I am no lawyer I do not believe the MW can officially reach out to you first..That doesn't mean there hasn't been any vetting going on. They vet all potential invitees. But that is not the same as offering before you actually apply.

Nevada has switched conferences 4 times since 1971 and it was always done the same way. When the Pack was hastily admitted to the MW with Fresno it was okay because both schools had applied to the conference before. Nevada had applied to the WAC several times before being invited. When they were a 1AA school they approached the Big West and expressed their interest in moving up. They applied and were invited. Boise applied too but weren't invited for a few more years.
    Pretty sure the MWC could make a blanket statement "now open to applications for membership" as the ol' wink and nudge.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    If you're a member of Moorhead Country Club I'm pretty sure Fargo Country Club can offer you membership.
    Better have a drug dog go through your golf bag first eh. Checkpoints on teh red River eh.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Pretty sure the MWC could make a blanket statement "now open to applications for membership" as the ol' wink and nudge.
    The MW takes applications all the time. They are open for business. They would gladly accept an application from any school. That is why I asked if NDSU has made an application to the MW. It doesn't mean an offer to join is happening, though. It just starts the ball rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Better have a drug dog go through your golf bag first eh. Checkpoints on teh red River eh.
    He retired.
    https://www.fox9.com/video/1257587

But your warning stands.
    https://www.am1100theflag.com/news/l...ijuana-warning

Only things in my bag are triple-bogeys and four-putts.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have a contract with my insurance company. I get approached nearly every single day by other insurance companies asking me to cancel that contract and switch to them. Is that tampering?

Sorry, but unless you can cite a specific court case I'm going to say you're full of crap on this. US law is generally very supportive of competition.

The MW takes applications all the time. They are open for business. They would gladly accept an application from any school. That is why I asked if NDSU has made an application to the MW. It doesn't mean an offer to join is happening, though. It just starts the ball rolling.
    That’s not how it works at all lol. As if President Cook just fills out an online application and emails it off to the conference.

The P5 made their own greedy little beds and now the power grabbing has come home to roost. If that’s what it takes to get NDSU to it’s rightful station in the college athletics landscape, cool with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

I have a contract with my insurance company. I get approached nearly every single day by other insurance companies asking me to cancel that contract and switch to them. Is that tampering?

Sorry, but unless you can cite a specific court case I'm going to say you're full of crap on this. US law is generally very supportive of competition.
    I don't mind you believing I am full of crap..I don't think you are full of crap. You are talking about an individual insurance contract..That is a different scenario than a contract between several different parties. But you can interpret that in any way you wish..I am not sure why this angers you, though.

I would guess, that if NDSU is truly interested in moving to the MW they have already approached the conference..

I have seen numerous podcasters, radio talk show guys and sportswriter saying the MW should add NDSU but I have not seen any indication that NDSU is pursuing an invitation.

Again, that is why I asked if they have made an initial application request.