Page 76 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778861261765761076 ... LastLast

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    With 8 teams an undefeated G5 team could make it.
    12-16 teams and 2 G5 teams WILL make it.

Tues/Wed/Thur football this week!!!
    Marshall was 8-0 and not in the top 25 in the playoff rankings last week. Plenty of TWO LOSS P5 teams were. That's all you need to know.

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Marshall was 8-0 and not in the top 25 in the playoff rankings last week. Plenty of TWO LOSS P5 teams were. That's all you need to know.
    #butWestMACBeltUSAConference

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Once they go to 12 or 16 teams I would expect the bowls to go away. They will need to host those games at campus sites because I don't expect large numbers of fans to travel to 3-4 straight games plus a possible conference championship game. Imagine doing a Frisco type trip 3-5 times. It's not happening.

Basketball is not a good comparison because most arenas only hold 15-20k and there are 4-8 teams playing at each site. Would 2 teams be able fill 80-100k 3-4 weeks in a row? I know some fans will be local people with no specific team alliance but the teams' fans still drive the majority.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    I tend to agree. I'm just saying that while the top 5 conference are taking more autonomy they haven't moved entirely away from the smaller conferences yet, under the current agreement they're guaranteed a spot in one of the 6 Jan 1 bowls, which would equate with a 12 team playoff field. With an 8 team field it's a fairly easy case to exclude or at least make it very difficult for them to win an at-large birth, if they game them more than that it would actually represent a move toward unity rather than further separation. With a 12 team or larger playoff the lack of an automatic birth for the smaller conferences would be a move toward still greater autonomy.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    With 8 teams an undefeated G5 team could make it.
    12-16 teams and 2 G5 teams WILL make it.

Tues/Wed/Thur football this week!!!
    Could, but you would have to have a decent schedule. An undefeated Belt team would get left in the dust, much like they are considering Marshall's undefeated season a joke right now.

And I think the decent schedules are going to be more and more difficult to get. I see a lot of P5 schools starting to schedule each other more and more instead of playing a MAC or MWC team, which is good for College FB. But they are still choosing to schedule FCS over a G5 team. So in essence they are squeezing the G5 schools out of a potentially quality win.

The 13 member playoff committee has no duty to award based on Big Five status, etc. Just the best 4 teams. This will continue once they expand.

Per Sagarin's latest ranking, the Mountain West Conference is "only" 7 points behind the Big 10 West division. The Big 10 is not that much better than the other 5 non-Big Five Conferences sans the Sunbelt. I think the committee now and the future is going to look at the quality of the team, their schedule, and body of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    The 13 member playoff committee has no duty to award based on Big Five status, etc. Just the best 4 teams. This will continue once they expand.

Per Sagarin's latest ranking, the Mountain West Conference is "only" 7 points behind the Big 10 West division. The Big 10 is not that much better than the other 5 non-Big Five Conferences sans the Sunbelt. I think the committee now and the future is going to look at the quality of the team, their schedule, and body of work.
    The only ties to the Committee for a non P5 school is a retired 3 Star (Ch)air force General who was the Superintendant of the Air Force Academy, and the former Commish of the Big East (American). Not really a whole lot to fight for your team if you are a fringe one. When the AD's from Wisconsin, USC, Nebraska, WVa, and Arkansas are on the board.

And arguing for how the MWC is only 7 points behind the west of the Big 10 is not really an argument, especially when the Big 10 west is hot garbage with the exception of Nebraska.

In fantasy land that would work. The p5 just gave the NCAA the high hard one. So the P5 isnt going to let a team from the MWC in their playoffs when one of their second place teams is better.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Where would NDSU and Marshall finish in the Big 10 this year? Let's be honest. The Big 10 has 4 worthy teams. The rest are just over hyped MWC teams.

Where would NDSU and Marshall finish in the Big 10 this year? Let's be honest. The Big 10 has 4 worthy teams. The rest are just over hyped MWC teams.
    Tough to do it every week.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

True. However, instead of EVERY game on the road, NDSU would play half their games @ FargoDome.