Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Godfrey to K-State

Default Re: Godfrey to K-State

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    That's an interesting thought. Lars has always said that Stevie is his replacement. But in track you have to remember that the head coach not only has to drive the whole bus but they also coach their individual events. So you can hire Stevie or throws coach Justin St. Clair but then you would have to hire a guy to replace the best middle distance coach in the Midwest. It would be easier to do that than find a head coach with those skills. Usually head coaches have a sprinter/hurdler/relay background.
    Would Stevie take this job and then move on to the men's team when Lars retires? I'm not sure how the dynamics would be, but it would be an easy transition.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    It's not all about money but had we paid all of the coaches more to begin with some may not have jumped ship. Losing a coach to a Big 12 tram will be impossible to compete with but losing a coach to a Mountain West and MAC school is what I would like to see prevented. Curious if Bohl would have left if he was making 600k or if Saul was getting 400k?
    I imagine they'd still leave. Have to accept that those jobs are new opportunities to prove themselves at both a new place(different challenges, strengths, etc.) and get a pay bump that NDSU is probably unable to come close to matching. When your coaches get poached, I imagine other coaches with aspirations of coaching at FBS schools(not just football but other sports too) see that NDSU is a good place to take a step in that direction, you should be able to get enough highly qualified candidates to select from.

Have to accept NDSU is not a dream destination for coaches, but that doesn't mean that NDSU can't become one of THE places to launch yourself into the upper echelon of division 1 athletics.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    Would Stevie take this job and then move on to the men's team when Lars retires? I'm not sure how the dynamics would be, but it would be an easy transition.
    I would agree, It would be an easy transition since the athletes are used to working with all of them. My guess is that they will name Stevie interim for the rest of the year for track and make name South High grad and Olympic Trials participant Andrew Carlson head cross coach.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Sucks losing great coaches. Glad we had him as long as we did. Best of luck to him.
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Keller was named the interim coach, as reported on KVRR.

Too bad they used a UN_ logo while reporting it though.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Well, he's going to a good home.
    Gay-Communist-Bully-TAB

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    If we can't raise the budget and raise salaries, the AD is going to eventually get knocked back to 2009. We can't keep losing coaches. Eventually you won't have any internal candidates and then we're fucked
    If we have good programs we will always lose coaches

Hate losing coaches but when they're clearly moving up that's a compliment to the program. And NDSU will continue to get quality candidates who ultimately have their own aspirations of moving up. All good things IMHO
    Sent from somewhere using my Windows Phone.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Dear Ryan ... best wishes, best of luck, to you in Kansas. We'll miss you. Thanks for all you brought to NDSU - seismic advances in the women's program.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    Hate losing coaches but when they're clearly moving up that's a compliment to the program. And NDSU will continue to get quality candidates who ultimately have their own aspirations of moving up. All good things IMHO
    Sent from somewhere using my Windows Phone.
    I agree. This is what happens when you make good hires and allow people to grow. Sign of a good place to work.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans