Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 UNI Game

Hybrid View

Default 2008 UNI Game

I went to the 2008 UNI game with three of my college buddies and was very disappointed to see NDSU get rocked (although NDSU won the tailgate ) However, looking back NDSU was actually as competitive as Montana was with NDSU last Saturday. Lots of similarities (including that both teams lost to Wyoming earlier in their seasons.)

2008 NDSU v UNI score: 13-23
    2014 Montana v NDSU: 10-22

2008 Yards Rushing: 99 v 102 (NDSU's number first)
    2014 Yards Rushing: 68 v 280 (Montana's number first)

2008 Total Offense: 227 v 258
    2014 Total Offense: 256 v 447

Am I right that the consensus about that 2008 game was that UNI dominated NDSU?

Of course, there are some other major differences: NDSU was -4 in turnovers in the 2008 game and the defense held UNI to 41 total yards and no points in the second half so we had some small reason to hope (although it turned out to be a false hope since the next two games weren't much better.) I suppose Montana has more hope in a rematch though because they have much better QB play (his passes when he was in the midst of being blindsided were as accurate as any we saw back then) and they have 10x the big play ability on offense that NDSU had back then. Still, I don't think that Montana matches up very well.

Here's the GDT from from 2008: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...Gameday-Thread

Default Re: 2008 UNI Game

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I went to the 2008 UNI game with three of my college buddies and was very disappointed to see NDSU get rocked (although NDSU won the tailgate ) However, looking back NDSU was actually as competitive as Montana was with NDSU last Saturday. Lots of similarities (including that both teams lost to Wyoming earlier in their seasons.)

2008 NDSU v UNI score: 13-23
    2014 Montana v NDSU: 10-22

2008 Yards Rushing: 99 v 102 (NDSU's number first)
    2014 Yards Rushing: 68 v 280 (Montana's number first)

2008 Total Offense: 227 v 258
    2014 Total Offense: 256 v 447

Am I right that the consensus about that 2008 game was that UNI dominated NDSU?

Of course, there are some other major differences: NDSU was -4 in turnovers in the 2008 game and the defense held UNI to 41 total yards and no points in the second half so we had some small reason to hope (although it turned out to be a false hope since the next two games weren't much better.) I suppose Montana has more hope in a rematch though because they have much better QB play (his passes when he was in the midst of being blindsided were as accurate as any we saw back then) and they have 10x the big play ability on offense that NDSU had back then. Still, I don't think that Montana matches up very well.

Here's the GDT from from 2008: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...Gameday-Thread
    You are correct. I remember thinking we got dominated and were very lucky to have kept the score somewhat close.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It felt like we lost that game by 40 points. At no point during the course of that game did I think we could win.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    It felt like we lost that game by 40 points. At no point during the course of that game did I think we could win.
    I kind of had that same feeling. I was also there. Terrible seats and a disappointing game.

Where most cite the MT game as telling us we belonged. That UNI game told us we had work to do to belong.
    It was a loss on the field but a win in changes off the field as far as recruiting big linemen. The off field antics also had to be straightened out. Recruit good players with better values.
    But yes, we did win the tailgate!
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    Where most cite the MT game as telling us we belonged. That UNI game told us we had work to do to belong.
    It was a loss on the field but a win in changes off the field as far as recruiting big linemen. The off field antics also had to be straightened out. Recruit good players with better values.
    But yes, we did win the tailgate!
    Very well said...especially about "the off field antics"!

In a sense(I know I will get ripped for saying this but here goes), that loss set a tone for every Bison Team after that....to play as a team and respect each other as a team, both on and off the field. It takes adversity to build winners...maybe that was the adversity the program needed.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't know if I would say ten times the big play ability as we still did have Roehl that year albeit he was a little banged up. I think we could have done well that year if we didn't struggle with injuries and also have a few significant plays go the other way as we had lots of close losses that year in the valley (ie Wyoming game we had like 3 passes by sure handed individuals dropped that may have made us the victors in that game).

I have never bought into we were dominated when we first go into the valley stuff because of 08 and 09. Bohl was just good at coach speak sometimes and his biggest mistake wasn't necessarily our lines but rather our weak depth at QB. We just didn't have a QB and had lost lots of great talent from 07 to 08 that was hard to replace.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

But you look at the stats and easily conclude that we dominated the grizz way more than UNI did us

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I just don't wanna think about that sack record set at the UNI game, however! I'd love to see Emanuel get even for his senior year with Kollmorgan on the blunt end

just a hunch!....I think we will beat UNI in a close one,( most think we will lose that one) lose at Missery ST the next week.......and MAYBE one other. 10-2 or 11-1......OK with 2 weeks off I am bored already.....2008 against UNI was a wake up call!