Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NDSU Defense is Dam Good.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Default Re: 2014 NDSU Defense is Dam Good.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigund View Post
    I always shook my head when people, grabbing for straws, tried to say Teh Bison defense lost soooooo much and wouldn't be all that great when in reality it's next year that they loose a ton of great players. Sure there is a lot of young talent but the two safeties and three LBs plus Emanuel is a massive loss.
    It's called re-loading, something you still don't understand for our 2015 season (but how could you with that mess you have up there). I remember hearing that the drop-off was supposed to be "massive" when Olson went down, or before that when Evans, Bowyer, Veldman, Holloway, Cornick, Richards and McNorton et al, graduated after 2011. The Bison defense will be just fine (and dominant) again in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    It's called re-loading, something you still don't understand for our 2015 season (but how could you with that mess you have up there). I remember hearing that the drop-off was supposed to be "massive" when Olson went down, or before that when Evans, Bowyer, Veldman, Holloway, Cornick, Richards and McNorton et al, graduated after 2011. The Bison defense will be just fine (and dominant) again in 2015.
    To be fair, losing Heagle, Dudzik, Beck, Littlejohn, and Emanuel is going to be a big hit. Just look at the Milestone Watch thread. Heagle is already 2nd all-time in solo tackles and could easily pass Mays for #1; Dudzik is 8th in solo tackles; Beck is 10th is solo tackles and will likely be in the top 10 in total tackles by the end of the year; and Littlejohn will probably be in the top 10 in solo and total tackles by the end of the year.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonboone11 View Post
    To be fair, losing Heagle, Dudzik, Beck, Littlejohn, and Emanuel is going to be a big hit. Just look at the Milestone Watch thread. Heagle is already 2nd all-time in solo tackles and could easily pass Mays for #1; Dudzik is 8th in solo tackles; Beck is 10th is solo tackles and will likely be in the top 10 in total tackles by the end of the year; and Littlejohn will probably be in the top 10 in solo and total tackles by the end of the year.
    However, the reason why all these guys have accumulated so many solo tackles, aside from being phenomenal players obviously, is because they have played a lot of damn football. Dont get me wrong - they will be almost impossible to replace but when these guys (Heagle, Dudz, CLJ, KE) were replacing the "irreplaceables" their first years on the field they were in the same boat - starting fresh and taking over a spot that was dominated by the same player 3 - 4 seasons.

The future is bright and even tho the Bison lose a ton of production, there are guys chomping at the bit to be as good or better than those before them. Success and tradition are a great motivator and NDSU has both.

We as fans will have to start worrying when a senior/junior class doesnt necessarily buy into Bison Pride as a whole...the outcome will then become what it was in 2008/2009. The immediate success in the past coupled with an understanding of the expectations and tradition of Bison Football is what fuels preparation in/off season - we as fans are damn lucky to have leaders on both sides of the ball who understand how things work around here.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    However, the reason why all these guys have accumulated so many solo tackles, aside from being phenomenal players obviously, is because they have played a lot of damn football. Dont get me wrong - they will be almost impossible to replace but when these guys (Heagle, Dudz, CLJ, KE) were replacing the "irreplaceables" their first years on the field they were in the same boat - starting fresh and taking over a spot that was dominated by the same player 3 - 4 seasons.

The future is bright and even tho the Bison lose a ton of production, there are guys chomping at the bit to be as good or better than those before them. Success and tradition are a great motivator and NDSU has both.

We as fans will have to start worrying when a senior/junior class doesnt necessarily buy into Bison Pride as a whole...the outcome will then become what it was in 2008/2009. The immediate success in the past coupled with an understanding of the expectations and tradition of Bison Football is what fuels preparation in/off season - we as fans are damn lucky to have leaders on both sides of the ball who understand how things work around here.
    Very good points. I think I am overly cautious on my expectations. That probably has something to do with being a Vikings fan.

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Did scheels ever have any of the senior defence jersey's ortt just Vraa and Crockett? Can't imagine 52,53,20,35,38, or 9 staying on shelves for long. Seems to me they used to do number one and seniors for jerseys at scheels. Saw 11 jerseys in kids section.
    Just vraa, Crockett and Carson, but the 11 was mistakenly 1. Wanted 52 but the powers that be didn't. This is what I was told when I asked for a defensive number.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastBison View Post
    I agree that Beck and Littlejohn are a terrific tandem at LB, but I think that Joe Mays and Ramon Humber, two LBs that have made it years in the League, may beg to differ.
    In the terms I spoke of athleticism and versatility, Beck and Littlejohn are in my estimation, ahead of Mays and Humber.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    Just vraa, Crockett and Carson, but the 11 was mistakenly 1. Wanted 52 but the powers that be didn't. This is what I was told when I asked for a defensive number.
    Give it a few years and I'm sure we'll start seeing a few defensive numbers out there again. I mean I wear a RJ Urzendowski jersey every week

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    Give it a few years and I'm sure we'll start seeing a few defensive numbers out there again. I mean I wear a RJ Urzendowski jersey every week
    I have a 99 that Mike Fairbarin wore, but I hate how they fit. Wanted a 52.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    I have a 99 that Mike Fairbarin wore, but I hate how they fit. Wanted a 52.
    It is kinda disappointing that they didn't try and get some of these defensive seniors out there also. But as we know offense sells tickets (merchandise) defense wins championships.

I personally just love seeing all the different numbers out there because each number is going to mean something different to each person. My son wears his #8 jersey still from when it was DJ's, but we all remember that Joe Mays had it before him and I loved the hard hitting safety before him to wear it (can't remember his name right now). Of course kids now are to think it's a Darius Anderson jersey, but the cool part is it turns into a Bison history lesson if you want it to.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post

Exactly. And to this point, remember when Beck (Rfr.) stepped in for Jemison (Jr.)? Oh my God, what a massive drop off (purple)!!! There is a ton of talent behind these great players. The Big Undies is just like his brethren up north - hoping and praying for an NDSU drop-off. It's all he, they, and the vast majority of the FCS, have right now. Don't worry, the defense will continue to be dominant in 2015......and the March will continue on!!!