Thread: Blocking Penalties??

Hybrid View

Default Blocking Penalties??

Why are we having such issues with the blocking below the waist penalties? Got called for it 4-5 times in two games and none of the other teams we have played have gotten called for it at all I believe.

The one on punt return yesterday was a joke in my book and the other on the wide receiver blocking was also a joke in my opinion but when we are getting continually called for it, then its an issue.

Default Re: Blocking Penalties??

The best way to explain it is to say that blocking below the waist is a penalty except for a SHORT list of exceptions.

On changes of possession and kicks there aren't really any exceptions.

On plays from scrimmage, anybody on the line within 9 yards of the ball at the snap and any stationary backs inside the tackle box CAN block below the waist within 7 yards of the LOS (with a few limitations)

Backs in motion, or outside the tackle box, and those on the line farther than 9 yards from the ball at the snap can block below the waist BUT ONLY if the block is delivered directly toward the end zone or the adjacent sideline. ANY low block directed back towards the original position of where the ball was snapped, is a foul.

That's why the flag was thrown about half way through the 2nd quarter. The block was below the waist and directed toward the center of the field. It wasn't called a clip so getting the helmet in front doesn't matter. Fee eye said it was a close call. It really wasn't according to the rules explanations I've seen.

It was either the Weber game or the UIW game where we got a similar penalty and I was pissed and thought they got it wrong. After doing some research, I found out it was ME that didn't know the rule. That's usually the pattern in these things.

Can someone post a gif of the block below the waist that negated the pass play?
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

After watching a replay of the first penalty, the TV broadcast team explained the one on the punt return. While I don't agree with the rule difference between a regular play and kick or punt returns, I do now understand them.

On the pass play, it happened right in front of us and I totally disagreed with the call. It was right at the waist in my opinion.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by twinterfun View Post
    After watching a replay of the first penalty, the TV broadcast team explained the one on the punt return. While I don't agree with the rule difference between a regular play and kick or punt returns, I do now understand them.

On the pass play, it happened right in front of us and I totally disagreed with the call. It was right at the waist in my opinion.
    That was on Gebhardt's and it happened right in front of me and it was above the waist. A total BS call.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    That was on Gebhardt's and it happened right in front of me and it was above the waist. A total BS call.

Absolutely correct.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

IMO it was one ref who really wanted and did throw the flags on us. Griz are talking about how much we got away with. Am I actually that biased?? cause I didn't see it that way at all!