Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I question about Cyclones Cotton-Moya ..........

Default Re: I question about Cyclones Cotton-Moya ..........

According to the rules it was targeting. And it's a good rule. I feel bad for the tacklers because when the offenses head lowers it's natural for the tackler to lower his. If he doesn't get low enough, it looks like targeting.

Our high school team I played on used targeting on most tackles. More than 50% of our games the ambulance was called onto the field. I played linebacker with another who was 240 and tough as hell. I stood the runner up at the line and the other guy tackled his thighs, snapped the thigh. Two years later, we were playing the same team, same exact play, same spot on the field, only this time I was a second slow so the big guy beat me to the tackle. He met the runner head on and broke his neck right in front of me. Terrible. Not intentional, just hard.

I would have loved to play for the Bison but I was too slow and I always led with my helmet. Trying to do that against players like the Bison I wouldn't have had any brains left.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndsu84 View Post
    According to the rules it was targeting. And it's a good rule. I feel bad for the tacklers because when the offenses head lowers it's natural for the tackler to lower his. If he doesn't get low enough, it looks like targeting.

Our high school team I played on used targeting on most tackles. More than 50% of our games the ambulance was called onto the field. I played linebacker with another who was 240 and tough as hell. I stood the runner up at the line and the other guy tackled his thighs, snapped the thigh. Two years later, we were playing the same team, same exact play, same spot on the field, only this time I was a second slow so the big guy beat me to the tackle. He met the runner head on and broke his neck right in front of me. Terrible. Not intentional, just hard.

I would have loved to play for the Bison but I was too slow and I always led with my helmet. Trying to do that against players like the Bison I wouldn't have had any brains left.
    I think you are misunderstanding what Targeting is in College Football:

Targeting is contact with the crown of the helmet on any player or Forcible contact in the head and neck area on a defenseless player.

There is a difference between leading with the head and hitting with the crown of the helmet, although many HS players do both. The HS Targeting rule is several steps behind, and I would really like to see the HS rule come in line with the college rule, I am not sure they would include the ejection, however states like Texas who use NCAA rules do utilize the full Targeting rule. The issue is in ND when you get ejected from a game, for any reason at all, you have to sit out the next game. I think long and hard about kicking a kid out of a game for their actions during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    What do you think that was when Brian Schaetz buried Wimberly?

Definitely not an arm tackle.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

I do understand the targeting rule, but you're right, I was thinking beyond that. Our coaches only taught us to wrap up and make a good solid tackle. The upper class-men expected heads to come off.

I don't agree with the players being ejected and they shouldn't have to sit an extra game unless it's somehow malicious. A defenseless receiver needs some protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Definitely not an arm tackle.
    ok, maybe we're getting caught up in semantics. I mean a tackle in which you use your arms instead of making yourself as tight as possible and ramming into a player in an attempt to blow them up. Nothing good ever happens in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndsu84 View Post
    I do understand the targeting rule, but you're right, I was thinking beyond that. Our coaches only taught us to wrap up and make a good solid tackle. The upper class-men expected heads to come off.

I don't agree with the players being ejected and they shouldn't have to sit an extra game unless it's somehow malicious. A defenseless receiver needs some protection.
    I like the way that the NCAA made it so that it is basically the same penalty no matter when you get kicked out without penalizing to much. And how games without replay have an opportunity to bring the player back. That being said, last year Rodgers Redding was the only person that could reinstate between games, and I think he said there was less than 5 that he overturned.

I think if HS implemented the same disqualification standard it would work, rest of the game if in the 1st half, miss the 1st half of next game if in the second half. I have done 4 HS games this year and have only had 2 'targeting' penalties, but both would've been penalties last year where targeting didn't exist. Helmet to helmet contact is still an issue in ND, but the contact to the head and neck isn't an issue that I've seen a whole lot of. But we will see. Most of the issues I think that gets run into is in a difference in talent level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    ok, maybe we're getting caught up in semantics. I mean a tackle in which you use your arms instead of making yourself as tight as possible and ramming into a player in an attempt to blow them up. Nothing good ever happens in that case.

I hear ya. That sounds more like a plain old textbook tackle. An arm tackle is usually when someone is out of position and flails an arm towards the ball carrier with a hope and a wish of bringing them down.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JustinTyem View Post
    After re-watching the game,what was taken out of the back of Cotton-Moya's shoulder pads???

I think that may have been a concussion monitor that records impact inside the helmet. I don't know, but I've heard about these things and it is what came to mind when I read your post.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    One angle it looked like it was and the other angle it didnt. He was woozy which makes me think he was, unless it was good acting
    It may have fit the technical definition of targeting, but it wasn't a very good job of it. He was coming up and spinning away rather than making full impact. And the TV announcer said he talked to the official at halftime who said that if the call had gone the other way (no call), he wouldn't have been able to reverse it. Thus, by the official's own statement, it was not a definitive act of targeting. Of course, a player has to be careful, especially in the first game of the season with a rule like targeting that they want to be enforced.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I just watched the replay a couple times. I agree with the call. Both players took a couple steps before the safety hit the receiver. He had an opportunity to avoid the hit but chose to hit him, pretty easy call if you ask me.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck