Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: ESPN - Schools Eye Beer Sales for help

Default Re: ESPN - Schools Eye Beer Sales for help

Quote Originally Posted by North Side View Post
    I have never needed alcohol to have a good time at Bison football games....but a beer never caused me to have a bad time at a game either.
    fixed that for me.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

I just want to preface this with the fact that I do like beers.

IMO, beer at sporting events comes down to how badly those in charge want to keep the event family friendly.

It has gotten to the point where I don't bring my kids to Summit League Tournament games anymore (although anecdotally it seemed a little better this year). Maybe that makes me a prude, but I'm not a huge fan of f bombs getting shouted in the general vicinity of my young kids whenever the whistle blows. Its SDSU fans, NDSU fans, and local yokels who show up to watch hoops and drink beer.

That's just me, but when I go to a sporting event with my family, I don't want to see/hear it. I am also a bit of a hypocrite because when my family isn't along I have been known to over imbibe and act like an idiot from time to time (although the booze is only partly to blame for that).

My $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    I just want to preface this with the fact that I do like beers.

IMO, beer at sporting events comes down to how badly those in charge want to keep the event family friendly.

It has gotten to the point where I don't bring my kids to Summit League Tournament games anymore (although anecdotally it seemed a little better this year). Maybe that makes me a prude, but I'm not a huge fan of f bombs getting shouted in the general vicinity of my young kids whenever the whistle blows. Its SDSU fans, NDSU fans, and local yokels who show up to watch hoops and drink beer.

That's just me, but when I go to a sporting event with my family, I don't want to see/hear it. I am also a bit of a hypocrite because when my family isn't along I have been known to over imbibe and act like an idiot from time to time (although the booze is only partly to blame for that).

My $.02.
    I can see this point but I've taken my kids to all sorts of sporting events serving alcohol and I've never had an issue. Wild, Wolves and Twins games and it's never been a problem. Sure they may hear the occasional swear word but nothing that's going to scar them for life. I just took a trip to Vegas with my kids. That was way worse than any sporting event with booze and it was still fine. We even saw somebody passed out next to a fountain and my son asked what was wrong with them. I used it as a teaching moment. Well son, that's what happens when you act like an idiot and drink too much. There will always be idiots, I just hope I can teach my kids how not to act like them.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm thinking the bigger issue isn't about behavior of fans, but the liability that comes with selling it. Now you need liquor licenses for all servers. Your liability insurance goes up. And if you aren't going to make any more money from doing it, then it probably isn't worth it.

I'd rather see beer sold at basketball games. If you don't get enough to drink at football games during tailgating you're doing something wrong, but at basketball games without the pregame warmup out in the tailgating lots, a beer in the stands would be appreciated.

Has anyone every had a beer in the dome? They better offer cans because the stuff on tap is absolutely terrible. On the other hand, I don't care either way. I like my few beers before the game and am fine having a soda and brat during the game. I do think I got food poisoning last year though.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    Has anyone every had a beer in the dome? They better offer cans because the stuff on tap is absolutely terrible. On the other hand, I don't care either way. I like my few beers before the game and am fine having a soda and brat during the game. I do think I got food poisoning last year though.
    Only during football games if we get the same officials we had for the SDSU playoff game.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by BisonVet View Post
    Only during football games if we get the same officials we had for the SDSU playoff game.
    They better offer the hard stuff in those situations. I needed something to quickly thin my blood to prevent a stroke.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    They better offer the hard stuff in those situations. I needed something to quickly thin my blood to prevent a stroke.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    The people that sit by me every game thought I would going to stroke out during the SDSU playoff game last year. I told them if I go down continue on with the game and deal with me at a timeout or at the end of the game.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I'm thinking the bigger issue isn't about behavior of fans, but the liability that comes with selling it. Now you need liquor licenses for all servers. Your liability insurance goes up. And if you aren't going to make any more money from doing it, then it probably isn't worth it.
    Is that something relatively new? I volunteered with a group of Shanley teachers and parents to man a concession stand when the dome first opened and we didn't need any special certification to sell beer. We made about twice as much in commissions at events where we could sell beer although I had to put up with 9th graders saying "Hey Mr. Hammer, can I buy a beer?"
    It's OK to not be OK.