Page 99 of 2604 FirstFirst ... 49899798991001011091491995991099 ... LastLast

Thread: Carson Wentz

Default Re: Carson Wentz

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    I do agree with this sentiment. Brock absolutely drove me nuts at times over the years. And I'm sure Bentrim drove me nuts, too. And Simdorn. And Walker. And Feeney. And every other QB that ever led the Bison. It just comes with being a very passionate and engaged fan base, I think.

The truth is, I'm frustrated with Carson at times too, but really no more so than I have been with all other Bison QB's over the years, and very much less so than with many of them. Ultimately, the true test of a QB at NDSU is championships. If Carson can lead us to a title either this year, next year, or both, he'll most certainly get a big-time pass on whatever it is we feel he's not done well enough in guiding us to a 10-1 record in his first 11 games.
    Bentrim?!? That may be considered blasphemous in some circles... but your post made me think of the Bison football QB's I have seen over the years. Any one remember watching Mark Speral??? I think he was the QB when I first started to go to games with my father. Good times!!!
    Last edited by Bisonville GasMan; 11-20-2014 at 02:11 AM.
    This Post is copyrighted by Bisonville for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this Post, or of any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the Post without Bisonville's express written consent, is prohibited.

SoCalBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

For the record, Bentrim only occasionally drove me nuts. Mostly when the call was for a downfield pass instead of the option. NDSU QBs weren't as proficient with the long throws back in the olden days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonville GasMan View Post
    Bentrim?!? That may be considered blasphemous in some circles... but your post made me think of all the Bison football I have seen over the years. Any one remember watching Mark Speral??? I think he was the QB when I first started to go to games with my father. Good times!!!
    I remember Speral engineering a huge comeback to beat UND. That was a huge watershed moment for the program.

Nellermoe was the QB when I started at NDSU and he got us to a National Title game.

During the Bentrim and Simdorn years that followed, I remember almost every game starting with our offensive first series being ineffective and teams moving the ball with seeming ease against our defense. I came to expect it just like I came to expect it all to turn around after that once we made adjustments.

In many ways, some of the same things apply to our current offense in terms of needing patience as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I remember Speral engineering a huge comeback to beat UND. That was a huge watershed moment for the program.

Nellermoe was the QB when I started at NDSU and he got us to a National Title game.

During the Bentrim and Simdorn years that followed, I remember almost every game starting with our offensive first series being ineffective and teams moving the ball with seeming ease against our defense. I came to expect it just like I came to expect it all to turn around after that once we made adjustments.

In many ways, some of the same things apply to our current offense in terms of needing patience as a fan.

How much had you had to drink before those games?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post

Seen the old tapes of und/playoff games.

Bison D didn't bend. Offense scored. Simple!
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post

Good one. Keep in mind that my comments only apply to the first series of games and they probably illustrate the difference between the fan's perspective vs the players on the field.

For some additional perspective, CAS, you probably remember the people I sat with and attended games with who shared these comments often in the stands. Do you remember Don and Arlyn from Detroit Lakes and their son Ryan and his wife Chris?

Details fade but I find that common themes tend to stick when they result in joking around or inside jokes. That's why this subject seems more real to me.

I don't remember it as much during the Bentrim years. More during the Simdorn years and after.

One game stands out and I'm not really sure of the details. It was definitely between 1987 and 1990. For some reason Northern Michigan is the opponent I remember and it might have been the opening game. They got the ball first and moved it down the field. I think they scored. Our offense came out and maybe got a first down or went 3 and out.

We then snapped it over the punters head (why do I think it was Tony Satter?) who chased the ball down and somehow was able to get off a pretty good kick.

Don, Ryan, and I all looked at each other and said "that wasn't good". Then Don laughed and said something like "no big deal, we always adjust after the first series"

After that I believe we dominated on both sides of the ball.

Those games set the tone for how I've viewed Bison game for nearly 30 years and why I don't freak out when things aren't going right.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonville GasMan View Post
    Bentrim?!? That may be considered blasphemous in some circles... but your post made me think of the Bison football QB's I have seen over the years. Any one remember watching Mark Speral??? I think he was the QB when I first started to go to games with my father. Good times!!!
    Yes, Bentrim. Hell, I'll even admit that I probably said a choice word or two about Phil Hanson's play back in the day, too!

All I'm looking for is perfection. Every game, every play. Is that too much to ask?

I don't recall ever feeling frustrated with Simdorn or Bentrim because what were people going to say, "Wow, he really misread that one... should have handed to the dive back?" NDSU fans didn't expect anything from the passing game so the whole crowd pretty much gasped every time NDSU threw the ball. The frustration with the offense usually involved playcalling, "I can't believe Rocky called the option to the short side of the field again!" which was hilarious because a) the QB was probably audibling and b) there are only two sides to run the option to.

I'm like NorthernBison on the rest: Lots of games the Bison didn't do much the first offensive series and most games, the opposing offenses seemed to have their most (and sometimes only) success on their first one or two drives. Troy was the only team I remember flipping the script on us.

Damn did Carson ever steam roll that Youngstown player at the 2 yard line. Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by pucknut9 View Post
    Damn did Carson ever steam roll that Youngstown player at the 2 yard line. Boom.
    Yep. Frickin awesome. Someone needs to make a gif of that one!
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt