Page 54 of 2604 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556641041545541054 ... LastLast

Thread: Carson Wentz

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Wentz

I too thought Wentz played pretty well. We had so many third and longs that he converted throughout the game. Our line play was very suspect all game both in the run and pass game and he would bail them out. Plus all of this was done in windy conditions and his ball did not seem to be affected.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm waiting for Wentz to have a 20-22, 300 yd, 3 TD game, and show what he really can do. Seems like he is playing well, but is not playing as well as he is capable. He needs to find a way to keep drives going and also make the right red zone decisions to finish drives.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Actually his scariest throw was one a lot here think was a great play. Rolling to the right and throwing back across the entire field is not a play I would recommend we add to the playbook.
    I understand what your are saying here, JMB, and I agree with it for the most part, on most occasions. But on the other hand, if we are in a situation where we need it, he's got the tools to make it happen. In my opinion, we needed it at the time, he showed tremendous athleticism just to even give himself a chance to make that play, and it was very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    I'm waiting for Wentz to have a 20-22, 300 yd, 3 TD game, and show what he really can do. Seems like he is playing well, but is not playing as well as he is capable. He needs to find a way to keep drives going and also make the right red zone decisions to finish drives.
    Can't put everything on Wentz for finishing drives. To me he is getting flushed out if the pocket to quick and recieves just aren't open. My opinion they need to play action more and give him the option to run if it's there. He's only had 5 starts in his career and think he has done pretty damn good so far even though the touchdowns aren't there yet.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by HotShot View Post
    Can't put everything on Wentz for finishing drives. To me he is getting flushed out if the pocket to quick and recieves just aren't open. My opinion they need to play action more and give him the option to run if it's there. He's only had 5 starts in his career and think he has done pretty damn good so far even though the touchdowns aren't there yet.

Agree. Plus, to be honest, I'm a little concerned about the wide receiving corps right now. I think (and hope) they'll be fine longer-term, but not much consistent production there right now.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Actually his scariest throw was one a lot here think was a great play. Rolling to the right and throwing back across the entire field is not a play I would recommend we add to the playbook.
    Definitely a scary pass but insane amount of arm strength is what I saw out of that play. He threw that ball a little less than 50 yards with barely stepping into it. Granted the wind helped some, but I would love to see how far he can throw the ball sometime after seeing a play like that.

As strong as the wind was yesterday I was very impressed with how little it affected his throws. I'm sure he'd love the pass to Vraa back. The only other bad throw I can recall outside of the INT was a crossing pattern where he got the nose of the football too high and it sailed on him with the wind.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Agree. Plus, to be honest, I'm a little concerned about the wide receiving corps right now. I think (and hope) they'll be fine longer-term, but not much consistent production there right now.
    I agree, Vraa is out so we need some guys to step it up.... On a tough day, Carson brought us from behind to get the win. I think he will only get better.

His long passes have a lower trajectory than our previous QB's. He's bound to have a 300+ yard game soon if Vraa is back and some of the other receivers step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Did Brock ever have a game that good? 20-22, 300 yards and 3 TDS to zero pick? I think we need to be realistic here. 5 starts in his career

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Did Brock ever have a game that good? 20-22, 300 yards and 3 TDS to zero pick? I think we need to be realistic here. 5 starts in his career
    Actually Brock's 6th start into his sophomore year, when he really didn't have to look over his shoulder to see if Mohler was coming in he was pretty close. 20-24, 216 yards with 3 TD's.

Followed that with a 20-25 against SDSU, just under 200 yards. Then 22-25 for 204 against UNI and a TD.

I don't know if we'll stretch the field enough for Carsen to get 300 in only 22 passes unless we have a couple of great YAC by receivers.