Page 403 of 2604 FirstFirst ... 3033533934014024034044054134535039031403 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,030 of 26034

Thread: Carson Wentz

Default Re: Carson Wentz

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Does this come from being "top dogs" on team in HS and being able to get away with not having fundamentals down pat? On my HS team this was a regular occurrence to do fundamentals drill no matter what year you were. Also if coaches started to noticing us not tackling would run us through the drills again. Obviously you get to a FCS Div I college you would have had at least a couple of these drills under the belt but after a week like last week would think it would be a good opportunity to run the tackling drill over and over again?!
    A couple of years ago we had the same problem. Guys were trying the "blow up" tackles because it was very prevalent in college and the NFL even though it sucks fundamentally. You dont put him down the runner is gone. After we got burnt a bunch of times the coaches put an end to it. WHY this coaching staff has a hard time getting the message across to these kids is beyond me. You cant just tell them how to tackle you have to practice it. The blow ups also went away because of the new targeting rules.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    They watch ESPN. We all did. Its no secret athletically gifted people often get away with stuff in high school sports. They deserve a rough week of practice this week, I don't think teams normally do much hitting this late in the season but playing Misery is basically a bye anyway so who cares as long as nothing terrible happens.
    Yeah but that was my point it didn't matter if you were gifted or not we all had to go through the drill if we didn't want to do the boring drills the coach told us do it right on the field and you will not have to. All you need is a tackling dummy (person standing used rarely or the big round padded dummy) to "practice" this. Obviously not quite the same as a moving person but still gets the fundamental across of wrapping up a person you're tackling and driving through the tackle with your legs (keep your feet and not launching).

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    A couple of years ago we had the same problem. Guys were trying the "blow up" tackles because it was very prevalent in college and the NFL even though it sucks fundamentally. You dont put him down the runner is gone. After we got burnt a bunch of times the coaches put an end to it. WHY this coaching staff has a hard time getting the message across to these kids is beyond me. You cant just tell them how to tackle you have to practice it. The blow ups also went away because of the new targeting rules.
    It's like free throws in bball I don't understand if you see this issue on tape, they have to see this even more so than us right? I understand a few people are "out of position" can make a missed tackle too, but to me it looked like even on some of those they didn't even attempt to wrap up they were trying for a blow up type tackle that you see on ESPN. After awhile it's like we need to address this. Maybe it's just something they can't just fit into their "routine" perhaps but think there would be 20-30 or so minutes each week you can devote to "fundamentals" coaching. Like you say they want it to be a big show and the crowd goes OOO but oddly those type of tackles never get me riled up I like to see the "old fashioned" tackle with arms around the guy and you just manhandle them down. Forget who it was but someone did one of them either end of 3rd quarter early 4th and I said now that's how you're supposed to tackle someone. Think it might have been DeLuca or even oddly enough PGT it was a #4x LB I remember that much.

Like CAS said even if you DON'T get him down a lot of times you slow them up enough that the others can get into position to assist or make the tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Yeah but that was my point it didn't matter if you were gifted or not we all had to go through the drill if we didn't want to do the boring drills the coach told us do it right on the field and you will not have to. All you need is a tackling dummy (person standing used rarely or the big round padded dummy) to "practice" this. Obviously not quite the same as a moving person but still gets the fundamental across of wrapping up a person you're tackling and driving through the tackle with your legs (keep your feet and not launching).

It's like free throws in bball I don't understand if you see this issue on tape, they have to see this even more so than us right? I understand a few people are "out of position" can make a missed tackle too, but to me it looked like even on some of those they didn't even attempt to wrap up they were trying for a blow up type tackle that you see on ESPN. After awhile it's like we need to address this. Maybe it's just something they can't just fit into their "routine" perhaps but think there would be 20-30 or so minutes each week you can devote to "fundamentals" coaching. Like you say they want it to be a big show and the crowd goes OOO but oddly those type of tackles never get me riled up I like to see the "old fashioned" tackle with arms around the guy and you just manhandle them down. Forget who it was but someone did one of them either end of 3rd quarter early 4th and I said now that's how you're supposed to tackle someone. Think it might have been DeLuca or even oddly enough PGT it was a #4x LB I remember that much.

Like CAS said even if you DON'T get him down a lot of times you slow them up enough that the others can get into position to assist or make the tackle.

It was more fundamental. They didnt keep their feet as you mentioned. Which means the were out of position OR they were very slow to react to the developing play and caught flat footed and dove in desperation.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Don't assume anything. Kliemen seems to go with this new-found scheme and stupid language: Touches, looks, eyes right, blah blah and blah.

And, on defense, he or Entz need to tell and teach our safeties to play from inside out and use sideline as a 12 tackler. Rarely are safeties, especially FS, responsible for contain. Fill lanes from inside out. And guess what? Any tackle is a good tackle just like any par is a good score. Just make it!! No need to try for blow-up hit every time. Break down and make the fucking tackle.

Sent from my iPhone.
    CAS, you're spot on here! We are all really frustrated watching the run support from the safeties. It starts with poor run/pass reads at the snap, then bad angles of pursuit and leverage. At the very least slow the ball carrier down or turn him back into where your support is coming from. From a technique standpoint, they need to attack the ball carrier, taking the offensive on defense. They cannot get flat footed waiting and then come up with air. Way to much catching and arm tackling, time to be agressive we are in the 10th game, there are no more rookies out on the field there anymore. Opposing offenses will find ways to attack us if we do not have a way clean this up.
    Far across the fields of Fargo....

Hey back on track how's Carson healing up?
    And for you guys bashing coaches players gotta play

Bring in the wrestling coaches.

The players that had wrestling seemed to have great fundamental tackling. When we played teams like Napolean, you didn't see tacklers miss big. They were more about wrapping up, and driving him into the dirt than they were about blowing them up. Very good, aggressive players.

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Last week, Coack K said a Carson had a doctor's appointment in two weeks, which is now next week. We won't know more until then.

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    So far it's healing on schedule. Will know more once xrays are taken again in 10 days or so.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by pucknut9 View Post
    So far it's healing on schedule. Will know more once xrays are taken again in 10 days or so.
    Is that a 6 week schedule or an 8 week schedule? Sorry, couldn't resist, everyone else is wondering the same thing. I suspect your response will refer to the bolded portion above?
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by pucknut9 View Post
    I have heard pizza helps...
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans