Page 2364 of 2604 FirstFirst ... 1364186422642314235423622363236423652366237424142464 ... LastLast
Results 23,631 to 23,640 of 26034

Thread: Carson Wentz

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Carson Wentz

Wentz is definitely struggling and most of it is team related, but some of it is his fault as well. I think the Eagles got old fast, but it also seems like Wentz is possible not making players around him better either. I will say I was a huge Elway fan growing up, but in the prime of his career they had some very mediocre to poor seasons. In 1988 they went 8-8 and in 1990 5-11 and in between went to Super Bowls. This is such a team game that even hall of famers can't make their teams better some years.

When he was at NDSU he made lots of unreal late game comebacks that helped us win at title his JR season so we know he has that in him.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

HerdistheWord is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    The Eagles' inability to beat good teams continues. I love CW but he continues to show he is not that late-game heroics guy. The problem, however, is more team related than just the QB. As Bison fans, every week we get to witness the importance of depth and conditioning but apparently the Eagles have neither of those key attributes. A Wentz led Eagles team needs to start fast and build a lead but this year they usually start slow so the pregame strategies are not working and that is on the coaching staff. As long as Lane Johnson is injured and Jason Peters is old they will struggle.
    I mean he has had at least 3-4 game winning/tying passes this year that were dropped. That isn’t really on Wentz. Last night he was not sharp on the last drive, but he still dropped a game tying pass in the bucket while getting hit. With the exception of two passes that last drive (the 2nd down throw to Agholor is not counting ss that was a broken play that needed to be thrown away), his late game heroics have been fine. His receiving cast has been abysmal.

Wentz is not playing at a probowl level this year and I think the team culture is a big reason. Most of the receivers have no fight in them whatsoever and Wentz is hesitating a lot this year. There are definite trust issues there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Brady wasn't doing a great job getting his receivers the ball either. I think the wind was a factor on their accuracy that night. Not saying he didn't make some bad throws though and certainly needs to play better.
    It is kind of funny that Wentz actually played better than Brady even with the missed passes. Brady missed like 5-6 dump-off passes. Apparently good defenses and bad weather affect QB play. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by HerdistheWord View Post
    It is kind of funny that Wentz actually played better than Brady even with the missed passes. Brady missed like 5-6 dump-off passes. Apparently good defenses and bad weather affect QB play. Who knew?
    I think most recent comments go way past last game. At NDSU and his first year or two in the NFL Wentz was his best when moving out of the pocket. At both levels he was also hurt ALL the time when playing out of the pocket. He needs to fine tune his game to fit where he sits now, IN THE POCKET. That meaning, quick release plays and reads. Check downs are great once in a while but he seems to hold the ball even longer than his pre-snap cadence!!!!!, that being WAY to long!!! He's a great athlete with a great arm but his game hasn't adjusted to being forced into a pocket passer type player, that being a requirement to his longevity in the league. Going 13-2 and letting Foles hold the trophy can't be easy to stomach.

The Eagles' inability to beat good teams continues. I love CW but he continues to show he is not that late-game heroics guy. The problem, however, is more team related than just the QB. As Bison fans, every week we get to witness the importance of depth and conditioning but apparently the Eagles have neither of those key attributes. A Wentz led Eagles team needs to start fast and build a lead but this year they usually start slow so the pregame strategies are not working and that is on the coaching staff. As long as Lane Johnson is injured and Jason Peters is old they will struggle.
    The Eagles have given the Packers and Bills 2 of their 5 combined losses (and 2 of their combined 3 home losses). They've beaten good teams already this year. The problem is they've lost to bad teams also like the 3-7 Falcons and the 3-6-1 Lions. They're just a super inconsistent team that balances out to be pretty average and Wentz isn't playing like a franchise QB that's one of the top 5 highest paid players in the league so he deserves plenty of that blame for that.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The most annoying part of football (which most consider the ultimate team game) is that the QB gets too much credit for a win and too much blame for a loss. Yes the paychecks correspond to that, but the Eagles are not anywhere close to a good team and haven't been for a while. But only part of that is on Carson. The worst part is they are nowhere close to being good again anytime soon as many holes as they have to fill on offense and most definitely on defense.

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not the late game guy? Did you watch the Atlanta game. Hit 13 in stride and he dropped a wide open TD. How about DETROIT. WR dropped the ball right in the goal line. How about the last game? Again. Put that ball on the last throw only where his WR could catch it. But hey. He can’t perform with the game on the line. Lol. Phillys D has been hot garbage u til recently. They have zero WR and have had their two tackles in and out of games all year. Also play calling has been so poor. When they consistently run the ball they have success. But PETERSON for some reason gets Pass happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Not the late game guy? Did you watch the Atlanta game. Hit 13 in stride and he dropped a wide open TD. How about DETROIT. WR dropped the ball right in the goal line. How about the last game? Again. Put that ball on the last throw only where his WR could catch it. But hey. He can’t perform with the game on the line. Lol. Phillys D has been hot garbage u til recently. They have zero WR and have had their two tackles in and out of games all year. Also play calling has been so poor. When they consistently run the ball they have success. But PETERSON for some reason gets Pass happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of course there have been dropped passes but there have also been numerous missed throws late in games. Those incompletions could have been the receivers' fault or Wentz's. People focus on the tight window throws and circus catches but what really makes a quarterback effective is quickly finding the open man and completing the easy stuff. The elite quarterbacks can move a team the length of the field in the last minute and never have to make an impossible play.

Of course there have been dropped passes but there have also been numerous missed throws late in games. Those incompletions could have been the receivers' fault or Wentz's. People focus on the tight window throws and circus catches but what really makes a quarterback effective is quickly finding the open man and completing the easy stuff. The elite quarterbacks can move a team the length of the field in the last minute and never have to make an impossible play.
    There are at least four throws that are 90%-100% receiver’s fault this year that would have resulted in a tie game or victory near the end. Nelson Agholor, Dallas Goedert, JJAW, Nelson Agholor...

When a receiver fails to adequately catch a ball that hits their hands prior to contact or when the receiver fails to track a ball with air under it and ends up trying to make a contorted body catch, then that is on the receiver. As for all the misses, those are much tougher to track, because we don’t necessarily know who is making the wrong read. One example is a throw to Mack Hollins where Carson had a beautiful back shoulder throw that wasn’t even close to a catch, because Hollins gave up and stopped looking for the ball. That ain’t on Carson...

Carson has not looked great the last couple games, but it is hard for me to criticize his game too much as his confidence in his receivers has to be shot. Even Dallas Goedert and Zach Ertz have a few drops this year. Ertz has actually made some contested catches and held on to the ball through contact a few times as well, so I give him a slight pass over the others. With the exception of Ertz though, I’m not sure I’d trust anyone else with the game on the line if I were Wentz. Even guys like Aaron Rodgers have had stretches like this where they look subpar thanks to shot confidence or a lack of supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    Wentz is definitely struggling and most of it is team related, but some of it is his fault as well. I think the Eagles got old fast, but it also seems like Wentz is possible not making players around him better either. I will say I was a huge Elway fan growing up, but in the prime of his career they had some very mediocre to poor seasons. In 1988 they went 8-8 and in 1990 5-11 and in between went to Super Bowls. This is such a team game that even hall of famers can't make their teams better some years.

When he was at NDSU he made lots of unreal late game comebacks that helped us win at title his JR season so we know he has that in him.

Let us also remember when he was at NDSU he had a certain receiver that got a nickname for the catches he made late in a lot of those games..... Not so much with the Eagles.