Page 2445 of 2604 FirstFirst ... 1445194523452395243524432444244524462447245524952545 ... LastLast
Results 24,441 to 24,450 of 26034

Thread: Carson Wentz

Default Re: Carson Wentz

I can arrive at no other conclusion but that it was the Seachickens' plan to get Wentz out of the game asap. Clowney just happened to be the first one with that opportunity.

The NFL needs to address this. If they don’t, the prescription for victory is get rid of the opposing QB.

Seattle should accept whatever it takes to get Rodgers to the sideline. Doesn’t need to be a concussion. Hit him late and often. Maybe go at the knees. Even if somebody gets ejected or it takes 5 personal fouls.

The NFL controls whether this happens in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy to criticize in hindsight after we all have had the opportunity of replay and slow motion. I didnt think anything of it in real time but after seeing the replay thought it was dangerous.

Heck the way the O line was playing this game and all year it's a minor miracle it didnt happen earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Again, some perspective is needed here. Officials aren't generally concerned about criticism from fans, I don't think. And I don't think they should be. They should be concerned with making the calls that are consistent with what is written in the rule books based upon what they see on the field. (And as Indy often points out -- NOT based on what they think MIGHT have happened.) That is the role of an official, and what they are judged upon.

If the rules aren't sufficient to protect the players, then the rules need to be changed. But that's not on the officials.

I suppose the rules could be changed to give officials some leeway in guessing what mighhave happened, even if they didn't see it -- such that the replay booth has a bigger impact on the game. But that would definitely change the nature of the game. I'm guessing most fans wouldn't like it much.
    If I was concerned about a lengthy NFL officiating career, I would throw the flag, report the "helmet to helmet" contact to the referee, and let the referee/replay booth review the play. Do this early enough in the game (as in Wentz's case, the 1st qt) and if the replay shows illegal contact with the helmet, eject the player. The players then realize the officials are not going to tolerate this kind of activity; it reveals to the players that the officials have the "nuts" to kick my ass outta here if I resort to this kind of play. You have solved the problem; for the remaining part of the game anyway. It would be interesting to know what the league office had to say in the evaluation report for this crew.
    n

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    If I was concerned about a lengthy NFL officiating career, I would throw the flag, report the "helmet to helmet" contact to the referee, and let the referee/replay booth review the play. Do this early enough in the game (as in Wentz's case, the 1st qt) and if the replay shows illegal contact with the helmet, eject the player. The players then realize the officials are not going to tolerate this kind of activity; it reveals to the players that the officials have the "nuts" to kick my ass outta here if I resort to this kind of play. You have solved the problem; for the remaining part of the game anyway. It would be interesting to know what the league office had to say in the evaluation report for this crew.
    n
    I don’t know if hits like this happen frequently enough.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    n
    I agree it would be interesting to hear/see the evaluation report for that game.

I disagree, though, that if you want a long, productive career as an official that you should throw a flag for things that you do not see, or things that you do see that do not appear to be against the rules. You do that enough, you'll get downgraded and eventually be out of a job. Unless they change the rules such that officials are supposed to throw flags for speculation of what actually happened (i.e. being conservative for the sake of the players). But without such changes, your suggestion is not likely to lead to a lengthy NFL officiating career.

Any chance Carson will be well enough to be in Frisco?
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I agree it would be interesting to hear/see the evaluation report for that game.

I disagree, though, that if you want a long, productive career as an official that you should throw a flag for things that you do not see, or things that you do see that do not appear to be against the rules. You do that enough, you'll get downgraded and eventually be out of a job. Unless they change the rules such that officials are supposed to throw flags for speculation of what actually happened (i.e. being conservative for the sake of the players). But without such changes, your suggestion is not likely to lead to a lengthy NFL officiating career.
    The only thing that would lengthen is the game and fans would hate it. Believe it or not the best game for an official is zero flags! That rarely happens but any game with 10 or fewer is ideal. My last college game has 33! 9 of them were unsportsmanlike conduct in the just 2 minutes with 6 ejections. That was not fun. Add in 124 points and 1300 total yards. The RB for the home team tied an NCAA record of 8 rushing TDs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Again, some perspective is needed here. Officials aren't generally concerned about criticism from fans, I don't think. And I don't think they should be. They should be concerned with making the calls that are consistent with what is written.
    Don’t fools yourself into thinking there isn’t some arrogance involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

This is a response to bootfitter……….You don't get it, do you? The protection of the players, especially hits to the head and neck, is the emphasis now in the officiating of football. Yes, I say this as a football official myself. I have been evaluated (as has my crew) numerous times by state evaluators. We are told to error on the side of the safety of a player. We are told to "Flag what will show up on film"...…..let me say that again......flag what will show up on film. NFL crews are made up of 8 officials.... The official response by the Eagle/Seattle game crew was that. apparently. no one had a good look at the play; no one had a good angle to see what actually happened. How many damn officials does it take to see every play? How many officials does it take to get a good angle on every play...…... 9, 10, a dozen. The crews spokeman's response was just a lame ass excuse for missing a critical cheap shot non call.