Page 1733 of 2604 FirstFirst ... 7331233163316831723173117321733173417351743178318332233 ... LastLast
Results 17,321 to 17,330 of 26034

Thread: Carson Wentz

Default Re: Carson Wentz

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Great to see someone trying to help reduce the chance or severity of a concussion. With that said why does boxing and MMA not have the concern of concussion like other sports?
    Or any other sport for that matter. Earlier in the NHL postseason Sidney Crosby was quoted as saying he didn't even get evaluated for a concussion before returning to the ice after going headfirst into the boards and stumbling over to his bench. Had that happened to an NFL superstar the screaming heads would be bleating about it for weeks on end.

I think it's similar to the PED phenomenon in MLB. The NFL botched concussion related care and education, similar to how MLB botched PED rules and enforcement, so they're put under the microscope for any issue related to the old skeleton in their closet whereas the other sports get a pass on the same issue(s).

I've heard that youth soccer, girl's soccer in particular, has a higher concussion rate than youth football yet you don't hear anything about the future of soccer being in danger due to concussion concerns like you do with football. In fact, it's never been more popular among American youth than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Or any other sport for that matter. Earlier in the NHL postseason Sidney Crosby was quoted as saying he didn't even get evaluated for a concussion before returning to the ice after going headfirst into the boards and stumbling over to his bench. Had that happened to an NFL superstar the screaming heads would be bleating about it for weeks on end.

I think it's similar to the PED phenomenon in MLB. The NFL botched concussion related care and education, similar to how MLB botched PED rules and enforcement, so they're put under the microscope for any issue related to the old skeleton in their closet whereas the other sports get a pass on the same issue(s).

I've heard that youth soccer, girl's soccer in particular, has a higher concussion rate than youth football yet you don't hear anything about the future of soccer being in danger due to concussion concerns like you do with football. In fact, it's never been more popular among American youth than it is now.
    The talking heads also seem to want to ignore that many, when choosing between the risk of concussions, and making a phenomenal living even as a marginal player, are going to choose the risk. Golic is one of the only guys I ever hear regularly say that and it is the blatant truth.

That's because the NFL is the giant in the room so to speak. Hopefully they are on the cutting edge of maybe eliminating or at the very least minimizing concussions in the game which will need to happen for it to survive IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pucknut9 View Post
    Carson seems to have ruffled some feathers with his cheesesteak choice
    http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...enison-twitter
    loved that they state venison can't be steak....

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    That's because the NFL is the giant in the room so to speak. Hopefully they are on the cutting edge of maybe eliminating or at the very least minimizing concussions in the game which will need to happen for it to survive IMO.
    Yeah, it's already having an effect at the youth level. Pretty much every parent I've talked to is concerned and has had second thoughts about letting their kids play football. I have too, but I'm not convinced it's any worse than soccer, hockey, or even the mountain biking we do. My son will start tackle football this fall.

Just about anything is going to have some risk, but football has definitely developed a bad reputation and as these kids grow up it's going to start affecting the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by scbison91 View Post

definitely some meat science majors on there...
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

I liked one of the comments:

Wentz reported to be working with Cheesesteak Guru

Marcus Hayes claims Eagles staff unhappy with this decision as well

Posted by motorawg on May 29, 2017 | 1:31 AM
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

I love how butthurt some of those people get over his hunting photos. Also, the worst cheesesteak I ever had was in Philly.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Yeah, it's already having an effect at the youth level. Pretty much every parent I've talked to is concerned and has had second thoughts about letting their kids play football. I have too, but I'm not convinced it's any worse than soccer, hockey, or even the mountain biking we do. My son will start tackle football this fall.

Just about anything is going to have some risk, but football has definitely developed a bad reputation and as these kids grow up it's going to start affecting the NFL.
    I've been a youth football coach for the last 5 years. My direct participation was one way to convince myself and my wife that we were doing right by our son. (He's been in FB since the 3rd grade and is now wrapping up 7th grade.) He will be in 8th grade FB in the fall. I will probably end my coaching "career" after this fall...unless he continues in HS and they'll let me hold a tackling dummy during practice or do passing drills, etc...

As a youth FB coach, I have had to take Heads Up training every year, plus additional concussion and contact protocol. I always need to take the full training each year. When we start practice each fall, we really focus a ton of effort on proper position and technique for tackling. My boys run if the don't take it seriously. We probably spend an hour for each practice at the beginning of the season on these issues, easing up a bit over time but including it for every single practice of the season. We also involve parents into the mix, making sure that they are adequately helping their boys after hours watching the training videos and emphasizing technique as required. There is a ton of effort to avoid concussions and other injuries. In 5 years, we've had one concussion. Part of the reason is that when boys start early, they just don't hit that hard. There's quite a bit of patty-cake going on so when contact happens, it isn't so violent. 3rd graders just aren't that powerful just yet.

When people ask me, both as a parent but also a coach, what I think about the violence of the sport, I tell them the conversation that I had with my wife: Our son is a smaller kid compared to his peers, or at least he was at 8 years old. Just like everyone else with their own kids, I love him tremendously. I have no desire to relive my glory days through him. (They frankly weren't that glorious anyway...) Because I believe that everyone should have whatever opportunity that is within reach and which they can handle, I know that there will eventually be a time when it will be harder for me to say no to him regarding an interest he may have. He's an incredibly bright kid so for me, that time is around his freshman year of HS. When he is 14, I think it would be hard for me and demoralizing to him for me to tell him that he's not allowed to play because I don't want him to get hurt. Since I know that I will eventually feel that way, it seems incredibly short sited for me to not prepare him for the skills he needs for that time. At 14, it would be hard to start the sport given the head start everyone else has in terms of technique and game knowledge/speed...with a particular emphasis on field awareness. By allowing my son to play now, he can develop his skills while the game is still pretty tame. As the game becomes more violent (about 7th grade it picks up much heavier), most kids will begin to have second thoughts and gradually leave the game as it outpaces their own skills, passion, and desire to keep playing. In this way, they are rarely thrust into a situation that is dangerous. They more adequately self moderate. On our team, a couple of kids each year peel off as the game ramps up. We have mostly backfilled our team with kids that have heard about our coaching staff and want to play for the team. (We have a couple of other guys WAY more qualified than me coaching on the team.)

Every kid and every parent are different. If someone is concerned but does not want to hold their boy back, get involved. Most coaches at the youth level would love to have your help. (As long as you aren't psycho...)
    Insert something clever here...

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scbison91 View Post
    Agreed, but I think I just got schooled. I have to talk to all of my buddies who give me deer, elk, and moose steaks. Shit! I've been had!!!!!