Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New schedule philosophy?

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: New schedule philosophy?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    If we are stuck in FCS like it sounds like we are, then play 1 big FBS, 1 home cupcake, then a 2-1 or 3-1 with a mountain west or Mac school then finish minimum 6-2 in mvfc if we happen to lose both
    If it was easy to get FBS games, NDSU would be doing it. Maybe with should throw the Iowa State game this year and lose by 50, then we could schedule FBS games out for the next 4 years and start winning them again. Get blown by 50 vs. the Clones, Get blown by 50 vs. the Clones . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    If it was easy to get FBS games, NDSU would be doing it. Maybe with should throw the Iowa State game this year and lose by 50, then we could schedule FBS games out for the next 4 years and start winning them again. Get blown by 50 vs. the Clones, Get blown by 50 vs. the Clones . . .
    Well theyre already going to lose by 42...let them have a garbage TD+ 2 pt conversion..Im in!

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    NDSU can't get games against the G5 schools. NDSU would not pass on those games if we could get them, I don't think you know what you are talking about there. Why would NDSU pass on a road game with the MAC, MWC, SBC, CUSA, or AAC team? No way. We simply can't get offers to play those teams, they want no part of NDSU.

During the transition, Gene Taylor scheduled 2 FBS games for a couple of years:

2006 - Ball State, Minnesota
    2007 - Central Michigan, Minnesota

It was after the 2007 season I believe that Craig Bohl publicly stated his dislike for playing 2 FBS teams a year because of the grind that it put on the team by the end of the year. After these comments were made, Gene Taylor was asked about the future to playing 2 FBS games, and this was where he said that playing the lower payout teams was not of interest for NDSU moving forward. (I attended NDSU during this time - I reading a write up about it in the school newspaper).

Since the 2009 season, the only non "Power 5" team we played was Colorado State.

When I look at the years, I think NDSU played 2 FBS teams (during the Great West years) for help completing the schedule and getting some travel expenses covered.

Recently, with the financial stability and success, there wasn't a need to play the lower level teams.

I believe you are right - NDSU couldn't get the games with the "Group of 5" teams because they didn't want to play us, but I also believe that NDSU didn't have the interest in playing them either.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUKurt View Post
    During the transition, Gene Taylor scheduled 2 FBS games for a couple of years:

2006 - Ball State, Minnesota
    2007 - Central Michigan, Minnesota

It was after the 2007 season I believe that Craig Bohl publicly stated his dislike for playing 2 FBS teams a year because of the grind that it put on the team by the end of the year. After these comments were made, Gene Taylor was asked about the future to playing 2 FBS games, and this was where he said that playing the lower payout teams was not of interest for NDSU moving forward. (I attended NDSU during this time - I reading a write up about it in the school newspaper).

Since the 2009 season, the only non "Power 5" team we played was Colorado State.

When I look at the years, I think NDSU played 2 FBS teams (during the Great West years) for help completing the schedule and getting some travel expenses covered.

Recently, with the financial stability and success, there wasn't a need to play the lower level teams.

I believe you are right - NDSU couldn't get the games with the "Group of 5" teams because they didn't want to play us, but I also believe that NDSU didn't have the interest in playing them either.
    I think much had changed since the multiple FBS game era. Team has figured out how to build depth and win. We've also taken home game sales and home game tv exposure to a different level.

Personally I dont want to play weak FBS teams because you get no exposure from it. When we beat Ball State and Central Michigan, it wasn't televised. Had to listen on the radio and we were pressed to find any highlights. Wasn't even mentioned on espn. And to boot the payout was mediocre. Wyoming? I don't think that was televised either.

If you get a home game vs EWU, it's a much better game than a shitty FBS team. Eastern Washington would whoop ass on the MAC just like we would.

I think you have to take a game with any power 5 conference team, preferably Big 10 or 12. If we can't get those, go for an SEC team. Everyone watches or at least pays attention to the SEC. And believe me the players will be very motivated to play an sec team.

If we can't get those games might as well play the best FCS teams at home, get an incredible atmosphere, and broadcast it on FSN North. That's better TV exposure than Ball State

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I think much had changed since the multiple FBS game era. Team has figured out how to build depth and win. We've also taken home game sales and home game tv exposure to a different level.

Personally I dont want to play weak FBS teams because you get no exposure from it. When we beat Ball State and Central Michigan, it wasn't televised. Had to listen on the radio and we were pressed to find any highlights. Wasn't even mentioned on espn. And to boot the payout was mediocre. Wyoming? I don't think that was televised either.

If you get a home game vs EWU, it's a much better game than a shitty FBS team. Eastern Washington would whoop ass on the MAC just like we would.

I think you have to take a game with any power 5 conference team, preferably Big 10 or 12. If we can't get those, go for an SEC team. Everyone watches or at least pays attention to the SEC. And believe me the players will be very motivated to play an sec team.

If we can't get those games might as well play the best FCS teams at home, get an incredible atmosphere, and broadcast it on FSN North. That's better TV exposure than Ball State

Personally, I agree with you 100%. The television exposure has really changed things for NDSU from the transition years. That is worth more than games against teams like Ball State or Tulsa or New Mexico State.

G5 games aren't going to happen because of money. They can't pay us enough to make it worth while plus the exposure isn't the same as with the P5 games. NDSU is better off selling out a home game then playing at a G5 school. We will need to try to schedule games with B12 or SEC teams like Mizzou or Texas AM.

I'm already bored with talks of other FCS games, gimme 2 fbs games a year (1 big school, 1 small fbs easy win) if we keep striving for the status quo momentum will go away, THIS SUCKS!!
    Go back to being a goooofer fan. You will get all the fbs games you can handle.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

I'm already bored with talks of other FCS games, gimme 2 fbs games a year (1 big school, 1 small fbs easy win) if we keep striving for the status quo momentum will go away, THIS SUCKS!!
    Serious you would rather us beat Ball State in a game that won't be televised anywhere much less get any espn exposure than Eastern Washington who is a much harder opponent and will guarantee a great home game that will be broadcast on either FSN North, Fox College Sports, or possibly as a week 1 espn game? Travel to MAC schools suck and at least with EWU we get a Home game

There's not even a financial benefit since they pay dick.

Power 5 games pay well and are heavily broadcast

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Bison4peat is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    G5 games aren't going to happen because of money. They can't pay us enough to make it worth while plus the exposure isn't the same as with the P5 games. NDSU is better off selling out a home game then playing at a G5 school. We will need to try to schedule games with B12 or SEC teams like Mizzou or Texas AM.
    I wonder if the PAC-12 or ACC has been called.I see other FCS schools are scheduling them. I don't remember a game with either conference, that would be fantastic if they were willing. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Bison4peat View Post
    I wonder if the PAC-12 or ACC has been called.I see other FCS schools are scheduling them. I don't remember a game with either conference, that would be fantastic if they were willing. IMO
    Out of our recruiting foot print. The money would have to be substantial for either of those. Just don't see that happening.