Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New schedule philosophy?

Default Re: New schedule philosophy?

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Exactly! Sucks that NDSU is being squeezed out by these so called "superior" teams. They are afraid to play NDSU. Now the power 5 want to go in their own flashy world and keep all the money claiming their product is better than everybody else (not true) and only play themselves. What a joke. The NCAA is a big FAIL.
    its because they have it better than NDSU. we all want NDSU to have it better. If NDSU can find a conference in the higher up division, they can find themselves whoring themselves out with 2 for 1's, and getting to host worthy, higher up teams.

Thats just my little dream. What the P5 is doing is smart for their own good...They might not be as good as NDSU was this past season, but at least they're covering their asses.

NDSU needs to be included in those scheduling talks once again if the idea of the program is to not stop at its ceiling.

The NCAA stands for what? Should they not look out for the good of ALL college athletics? This is college football, not semi professional. Also if the NCAA really cared about competition they would have assured room for colleges like NDSU, Montana, etc. to move up to the highest level........not another Florida commuter school etc.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUKurt View Post
    http://www.inforum.com/content/bison...-game-contract

"Jeremy Jorgenson, NDSU’s director of sales and broadcasting who has been handling the details of football scheduling, said landing the Eagles is part of a philosophical switch on NDSU’s part to schedule home-and-home games with some of the top teams in the FCS."

When I read this, I take away a few things:

1. NDSU must be having an extraordinarily difficult time getting future guarantee games from the "Power 5" conferences. This is surprising and not surprising at the same time. Obviously these schools don't want to pay NDSU $400,000+ and then lose. However, when a "Power 5" team (or any team for that matter) hosts NDSU, they know that not only will they will sell out their stadium, but they can charge more for single game tickets for the NDSU game than others on their schedule (see Kansas State last season).

2. NDSU must have made the decision to pass on guarantee games from teams from the "Group of 5" teams (MAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, American, C-USA). With the exception of a few of these teams, I am cool with this if it is the case.

For selfish reasons, I would love games with UNLV (who wouldn't want to go watch NDSU in Las Vegas), Old Dominion (used to live in Virginia), and a few others here and there.

3. My concern is the financials - will NDSU make enough money from the home and home deals to make up for the lack of the guarantee game payouts? (That's something the athletic department obviously understands).

4. What other "top teams in the FCS" would we consider home and home deals with, and who would be cool with coming to Fargo? Montana and Eastern Washington - done. Montana State - screw them.

I would go with New Hampshire, Sam Houston State, James Madison, William & Mary, and maybe Furman or The Citadel.

Any way that you look at it, I think the writing is clearly on the wall with the end of an annual FBS game againstt a "Power 5" team.
    NDSU can't get games against the G5 schools. NDSU would not pass on those games if we could get them, I don't think you know what you are talking about there. Why would NDSU pass on a road game with the MAC, MWC, SBC, CUSA, or AAC team? No way. We simply can't get offers to play those teams, they want no part of NDSU.

If I were the AD, I'd study this situation very hard. NDSU could declare a move to FBS, then sit and wait until/if and invitation came. If no invitation comes, you could always remain FCS. NDSU could also join an FBS G5 League for FB only. That would keep us more local for other sports. IMO, declaring an FBS G5 move, then waiting for an offer would be the way to go at some point soon. If you want games against MN, WI, NE, IA . . . as bad as NDSU fans do, declare our intentions.

For NDSU, I would make a full move (all sports) into the MAC or MWC. I would make a football only move into the SBC, CUSA or AAC. (CUSA or AAC would be very unlikely to extend the offer)

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    This is my fear. The power 5 game on the schedule is my super bowl. Losing those takes a lot of wind out of my sail.
    Which mean . . . NDSU either lives with not getting FBS games (G5 or P5), or NDSU pulls up its trousers and joins a G5 league. If you can't get games against FBS teams, joining an FBS/G5 league can't be too far away. The NDSU fanbase is going to get restless if our only games are FCS and DII.

Just heard EWU's AD on the Kolpack and Izzo radio show. That guy is a smart guy and just gets it. I think NDSU and EWU have the same scheduling philosophy. Play the best of the FCS to better position yourself for the playoffs. Not only to get your team playing better competition but playing those games helps you strength of schedule for possible at large bids. Also, losing to those teams won't hurt you. I like it.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

I'm already bored with talks of other FCS games, gimme 2 fbs games a year (1 big school, 1 small fbs easy win) if we keep striving for the status quo momentum will go away, THIS SUCKS!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

I would like to see FBS games and good FCS games. If we ever want to move up, we can't play 2 cupcake games. And i agree FBS games are big for recruiting. We may need to branch out and play some better teams out of our footprint. But I think 6 home games is a must.

These cupcake home games are boring. I can handle 1 but 2 suck. The home schedule has really lacked drama. Games like Montana and Eastern Washington really make me look forward to the home schedule even more.

If we start having 5 home games I'll be pissed. Home games are great for recruits too. Whenever some one experiences the live atmosphere and tv exposure the better

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    I'm already bored with talks of other FCS games, gimme 2 fbs games a year (1 big school, 1 small fbs easy win) if we keep striving for the status quo momentum will go away, THIS SUCKS!!
    same. I wasn't as excited about the EWU home/home as i would've been back in 2010 or whenever. doesn't matter. Losing these FBS games in the near future will only hurt the programs growth.

Also I think the 6 home games are a bit overrated and aren't as much of a "must" as others on here. Scheduling two winnable FBS games is more ideal to me, but that'll never happen because, you know, 7 wins and such.

Cupcakes are the worst.

If we are stuck in FCS like it sounds like we are, then play 1 big FBS, 1 home cupcake, then a 2-1 or 3-1 with a mountain west or Mac school then finish minimum 6-2 in mvfc if we happen to lose both
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    If we are stuck in FCS like it sounds like we are, then play 1 big FBS, 1 home cupcake, then a 2-1 or 3-1 with a mountain west or Mac school then finish minimum 6-2 in mvfc if we happen to lose both