Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New schedule philosophy?

Default New schedule philosophy?

http://www.inforum.com/content/bison...-game-contract

"Jeremy Jorgenson, NDSU’s director of sales and broadcasting who has been handling the details of football scheduling, said landing the Eagles is part of a philosophical switch on NDSU’s part to schedule home-and-home games with some of the top teams in the FCS."

When I read this, I take away a few things:

1. NDSU must be having an extraordinarily difficult time getting future guarantee games from the "Power 5" conferences. This is surprising and not surprising at the same time. Obviously these schools don't want to pay NDSU $400,000+ and then lose. However, when a "Power 5" team (or any team for that matter) hosts NDSU, they know that not only will they will sell out their stadium, but they can charge more for single game tickets for the NDSU game than others on their schedule (see Kansas State last season).

2. NDSU must have made the decision to pass on guarantee games from teams from the "Group of 5" teams (MAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, American, C-USA). With the exception of a few of these teams, I am cool with this if it is the case.

For selfish reasons, I would love games with UNLV (who wouldn't want to go watch NDSU in Las Vegas), Old Dominion (used to live in Virginia), and a few others here and there.

3. My concern is the financials - will NDSU make enough money from the home and home deals to make up for the lack of the guarantee game payouts? (That's something the athletic department obviously understands).

4. What other "top teams in the FCS" would we consider home and home deals with, and who would be cool with coming to Fargo? Montana and Eastern Washington - done. Montana State - screw them.

I would go with New Hampshire, Sam Houston State, James Madison, William & Mary, and maybe Furman or The Citadel.

Any way that you look at it, I think the writing is clearly on the wall with the end of an annual FBS game againstt a "Power 5" team.
    Last edited by NDSUKurt; 08-09-2014 at 10:25 PM.

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: New schedile philosophy?

If there is a new philosophy, here are some top FCS home-and-home candidates I'd like to see.

Delaware
    Yale - Two Words, Yale Bowl Bus
    Eastern Illinois
    Wofford
    New Hampshire
    Jacksonville State
    Coastal Carolina
    McNeese
    JMU
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Sam Houston
    William and Mary
    The Citadel
    Bethune Cookman
    Northern Arizona
    Central Arkansas - Just to see if their rug is worse than the Tampon.
    Furman
    Looking good Billy Ray!

Default Re: New schedile philosophy?

Cal Poly. Also, I know no longer FCS, but would be great to schedule H&H with App State and that one team from southern Georgia!

Default Re: New schedule philosophy?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUKurt View Post
    http://www.inforum.com/content/bison...-game-contract

"Jeremy Jorgenson, NDSU’s director of sales and broadcasting who has been handling the details of football scheduling, said landing the Eagles is part of a philosophical switch on NDSU’s part to schedule home-and-home games with some of the top teams in the FCS."

When I read this, I take away a few things:

1. NDSU must be having an extraordinarily difficult time getting future guarantee games from the "Power 5" conferences. This is surprising and not surprising at the same time. Obviously these schools don't want to pay NDSU $400,000+ and then lose. However, when a "Power 5" team (or any team for that matter) hosts NDSU, they know that not only will they will sell out their stadium, but they can charge more for single game tickets for the NDSU game than others on their schedule (see Kansas State last season).

2. NDSU must have made the decision to pass on guarantee games from teams from the "Group of 5" teams (MAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, American, C-USA). With the exception of a few of these teams, I am cool with this if it is the case.

For selfish reasons, I would love games with UNLV (who wouldn't want to go watch NDSU in Las Vegas), Old Dominion (used to live in Virginia), and a few others here and there.

3. My concern is the financials - will NDSU make enough money from the home and home deals to make up for the lack of the guarantee game payouts? (That's something the athletic department obviously understands).

4. What other "top teams in the FCS" would we consider home and home deals with, and who would be cool with coming to Fargo? Montana and Eastern Washington - done. Montana State - screw them.

I would go with New Hampshire, Sam Houston State, James Madison, William & Mary, and maybe Furman or The Citadel.

Any way that you look at it, I think the writing is clearly on the wall with the end of an annual FBS game againstt a "Power 5" team.
    This is my fear. The power 5 game on the schedule is my super bowl. Losing those takes a lot of wind out of my sail.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    This is my fear. The power 5 game on the schedule is my super bowl. Losing those takes a lot of wind out of my sail.
    Yep and it can't help recruiting
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Agreed. Even if we don't go FBS, it is a ton of fun being the little guy that kicks the bigger guy's teeth in. If we can't get Power 5 games I would still rather play garbage FBS schools than decent FCS schools just to further pad our FBS wins total. The wins against FBS schools has been key to building our reputation as a kick-butt program, and replacing our FBS games with FCS home and homes will probably hurt our recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Yep and it can't help recruiting
    And I see you already pointed this out so ditto

JJ just said on WDAY that the only FBS teams that don't pick up the phone are the elite Big 10 schools.

Said an FBS is not off the table for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    JJ just said on WDAY that the only FBS teams that don't pick up the phone are the elite Big 10 schools.

Said an FBS is not off the table for next year.
    Awesome...has to happen. I couldn't give a rip if its regional or not. A PAC-12 or SEC game would be sweet. Lets go for wins against all FBS conferences

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    Agreed. Even if we don't go FBS, it is a ton of fun being the little guy that kicks the bigger guy's teeth in. If we can't get Power 5 games I would still rather play garbage FBS schools than decent FCS schools just to further pad our FBS wins total. The wins against FBS schools has been key to building our reputation as a kick-butt program, and replacing our FBS games with FCS home and homes will probably hurt our recruiting.
    Exactly! Sucks that NDSU is being squeezed out by these so called "superior" teams. They are afraid to play NDSU. Now the power 5 want to go in their own flashy world and keep all the money claiming their product is better than everybody else (not true) and only play themselves. What a joke. The NCAA is a big FAIL.