Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bohl/Klieman Relationship

Default Bohl/Klieman Relationship

As an NDSU fan, I will always be grateful for what Craig Bohl did for the program. That said, my personal opinion of him was always that he was a great coach, but a questionable human being. Those feelings were brought to the surface again today when I read Kevin Schnepf's article in the Forum. As we all know, Bohl and Klieman did not part on amicable terms, which Schepf mentioned in this sentence in the article...

"So when Klieman declined to join Bohl in Wyoming, it was visibly noticeable the two weren’t best of buds in Frisco."

I got to thinking of that and it made me wonder just how horrible of a person Bohl must be to be mad at Klieman for not going to Wyoming. Or to put it another way, Bohl was upset that Klieman wanted to stick around and have the opportunity to be the head coach of the premiere FCS program in the country? How selfish must a person be to think that way? A decent person would be happy for someone who had spent 20 years as an assistant working his tail off to finally have this opportunity. For example, could you imagine Saul Phillips being upset that Dave Richman did not want to follow him to Ohio? No...Saul was nothing but ecstatic for Dave...which is the way that it should be.

I have read all the books that Tony Dungy has written and he talks a lot about being a mentor leader. When he coached, he did all he could to prepare his assistant's and give them the tools needed to be a head coach. Dungy wanted to do all he could to help everyone reach their goals. In fact, he talks about working with Jim Caldwell preparing him to be ready to take over his job when he retired (which Caldwell did). Dungy saw it as an honor to help others and was always happy to see them succeed and move up and on in the world of coaching.

Again, many thanks to Coach Bohl for all that he did. But I can't help but think that when coaching ends for him, it will be because of Bohl the person and not Bohl the coach and I have a feeling it won't be pretty.

Best of luck to Coach Klieman and congrats on this opportunity!

Default Re: Bohl/Klieman Relationship

Not this shit again. Let it go man.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

When you go back View Bohl's postgamer in Frisco, and watch him respond to the TSN Guy's question, "What does coach Klieman have to do to continue the success at NDSU" . . . it was rather obvious that Bohl had a hard time with that question.

Who do I attribute the tension in the Bohl/Klieman relationship to? Well, that's too obvious to require elaboration. But to tell you the truth, I've turned the page to 2014, and I'll choose to remember the positive with the the 2011-2013 years. The players trump the coaches IMO, and I can't say anything negative about the players.

This thread can only end well....

IN BEFORE THE LOCK!

I'd rather have a winner than a saint as HC. I don't think it makes him a horrible person at all. Bill Belichick was pissed at Eric Mangini for leaving for the Jets job. They have a personality type. It's different than the Dungy's. Fine. Win and it's all ok.

That said, did anyone else ever hear or read about Bohl being held back career wise by having a reputation of running around with the wrong guy's wife? I caught that somewhere on a Rivals site for some team who was hiring last winter and although I assumed it was typical board trash always wondered.

Wow, I could not disagree with you more. I think you are showing a lot of disrespect to Bohl with your comments. Now, I am not a Bohl sympothizer, or his pr director, but I must defend him. Was I disappointed that he left? Yes. Was I mad about the timing of the announcement of taking the new job? Yes. Was I angry and confused why he did not address the team about it first? Absoulutely. But to say things like you did like "made me wonder just how horrible of a person Bohl must be" and "How selfish must a person be to think that way?" and "when coaching ends for him, it will be because of Bohl the person and not Bohl the coach and I have a feeling it won't be pretty."; I am a little surprised and wonder if you really understand. I don't know Bohl personally, pretty sure most on this board don't. I think you are taking what Schepf said as absolute fact. I think Schepf, and I'm assuming you, are somehow equating that because Bohl was upset that his defensive coordinator that oversaw the best defense in the FCS the past 2 years didn't want to join him. that they weren't good friends. That's a little bit of a stretch. Maybe he wanted a great coach like Klieman at Wyoming with him and was disappointed he didn't join him like other coaches. I don't think you can read into it that Bohl was not happy for Klieman that he will get his opportunity to be a head coach. And lets say they weren't best buddies who hung out a alot, just for a hypothetical. SO WHAT if they weren't the "best of buds"?? Are you "best buds" with every person that you work with at your job? Probably not. Do you respect them and work with them to accomplish success? I hope so. You are basing your opinions on a lot of assumptions and perceptions that you have no way of knowing, which is never a good thing to do.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

I heard he is 7 feet tall and kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume Bisonville with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    I heard he is 7 feet tall and kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume Bisonville with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.
    The fact that Bohl made the decision to remove the lightning bolt from our helmet sticker is what pisses me off the most. We were never very good after that.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

My guess is that Bohl and Klieman had an agreement that he would follow Bohl if he took the WY job so Bohl felt betrayed when Klieman took the HC at NDSU.

At this point who cares? I really like what I see out of Klieman as far as how he carries himself with the media, his relationship with the players and early recruiting success. I liked Bohl a lot, but I feel we have another great coach.

Leave it to Schempf to dig up some old crap for the start of a new season.

533 In a row