Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makeup of roster, transfers and jucos

Default Makeup of roster, transfers and jucos

It's been quite obvious that along time ago, the coaches determined that getting a large amount of JUCO's and transfers is a bad idea and we want to win with high school kids we develop into kick ass players. Obviously we've sprinkled in a few here and there like Chad Willson, Jeremy Gordon, Andre Martin, and Shepherd but stud Juco's/Transfers have been rare. Typically transfers we have had success with have been guys who have 3 years of eligibility. (Shep/Paschall) The makeup of the team right now is incredible and illustrates just how healthy the roster is.

Looking at the roster

Juco Transfers: 0
    Transfers from other colleges: 6

King Frazier Nebraska (3 years eligibility)
    Shea DeJong - MSUM, played in the same Tampa 2 system under Steve Laqua
    Darrius Anderson - Valley City State (transferred, 3 years eligibility)
    Jeremy Kelly - Minnesota-Crookston (transferred, 3 years eligibility)
    Brock Russel - Bemidji State (ND kid) (transferred, 2 or 3 years eligibility)
    Zac Johnson - Valley CIty State (Fargo kid) (tranferred, 2 years eligibility?)

It's interesting looking at the guys who transfer from the smaller D2 colleges. Not a lot of history yet but if these kids can turn into productive players like Lavoy it's a win win. It's pretty obvious King will be a stud and the situation was perfect. DeJong lead the NCIS in tackles as a true freshman and everything I've heard about him is great. Darrius seems to have stepped it up a notch this spring. Jeremy Kelly actually showed up on the projected depth chart. Jury is still out on Russel and Johnson

Thoughts??

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Makeup of roster, transfers and jucos

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    It's been quite obvious that along time ago, the coaches determined that getting a large amount of JUCO's and transfers is a bad idea and we want to win with high school kids we develop into kick ass players. Obviously we've sprinkled in a few here and there like Chad Willson, Jeremy Gordon, Andre Martin, and Shepherd but stud Juco's/Transfers have been rare. Typically transfers we have had success with have been guys who have 3 years of eligibility. (Shep/Paschall) The makeup of the team right now is incredible and illustrates just how healthy the roster is.

Looking at the roster

Juco Transfers: 0
    Transfers from other colleges: 6

King Frazier Nebraska (3 years eligibility)
    Shea DeJong - MSUM, played in the same Tampa 2 system under Steve Laqua
    Darrius Anderson - Valley City State (transferred, 3 years eligibility)
    Jeremy Kelly - Minnesota-Crookston (transferred, 3 years eligibility)
    Brock Russel - Bemidji State (ND kid) (transferred, 2 or 3 years eligibility)
    Zac Johnson - Valley CIty State (Fargo kid) (tranferred, 2 years eligibility?)

It's interesting looking at the guys who transfer from the smaller D2 colleges. Not a lot of history yet but if these kids can turn into productive players like Lavoy it's a win win. It's pretty obvious King will be a stud and the situation was perfect. DeJong lead the NCIS in tackles as a true freshman and everything I've heard about him is great. Darrius seems to have stepped it up a notch this spring. Jeremy Kelly actually showed up on the projected depth chart. Jury is still out on Russel and Johnson

Thoughts??
    Thought for sure LL Cool J would be the leader

Sorry, had to

I don't know that it's obvious King Frazier will be a stud, but I hope you're right.

Nice summary from a robot. What I think is missing a little bit from your thoughts are NONE of these are the typical JUCO's, they are transfers. I think that is a big difference in my mind and explains a lot.

By the way, I can't WAIT until the police blotter lights up in GF with all their JUCO's.......

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Nice summary from a robot. What I think is missing a little bit from your thoughts are NONE of these are the typical JUCO's, they are transfers. I think that is a big difference in my mind and explains a lot.

By the way, I can't WAIT until the police blotter lights up in GF with all their JUCO's.......
    It's interesting because they all basically get 3 years to bulk up with Kramer and work on their skills. Obviously a Juco is going to be physically ready to go faster but mentally they know nothing about the system. Typically the transfers from smaller colleges won't play right away (due to lack of system knowledge) and just like a juco if you get 1 good year it's a good situation. 2 years like a Chad Willson is the best case scenerio. The difference is a kid going from Bemidji to NDSU they are probably not going to experience the culture shock as a guy from say Florida or California to NDSU. The transfers get to get bigger and smarter knowing the system.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by herdbot View Post
    the difference is a kid going from bemidji to ndsu they are probably not going to experience the culture shock as a guy from say florida or california to un_.
    fify........

fify........
    Not sure what UN_ has to do with this discussion

Many posters cant sleep at night unless they meet their daily quota of mentioning them. BV is a perfect outlet for many. Actually surprised it took 3 replies from them to get mentioned

clearly, you are not following their recruiting.....and to Sam's point, more power to you if you are not. It just cracks me up a lot!

clearly, you are not following their recruiting.....and to Sam's point, more power to you if you are not. It just cracks me up a lot!
    Not following UN_ recruiting. I know Bubba signed some Jucos. No idea who and where they play. Probably not because he wanted to , but because the team lost a bunch of players with the coaching changeover and was a necessity.

I do know the days of NDSU getting California Juco's are over since they never contributed nor stuck around for 2 years