Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Brock Jensen begins NFL journey

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Brock Jensen begins NFL journey

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I got to believe someone will put him on a practice squad, but he does need to be in a camp somewhere probably to get that chance......and this trend toward 2 qb's on a team works against him, too.
    Serious question: do teams even keep QBs on the practice squad anymore? Seems like a waste of a spot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    Serious question: do teams even keep QBs on the practice squad anymore? Seems like a waste of a spot to me.
    Cheap way to keep an extra guy around.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I do not at all follow your line of thought. I can't think of a better use of a practice squad player particularly if you only carry 2 QB's, then you can stash one away in case an injury occurs that you can activate the next week. Hell, even if I had a situation where I thought I had 4 guys I like, I'd put the youngest on the practice squad simply to develop.

Todd Bauman made the jump to the NFL that way and had a good career as a backup.

I guess I do not at all follow your line of thought. I can't think of a better use of a practice squad player particularly if you only carry 2 QB's, then you can stash one away in case an injury occurs that you can activate the next week. Hell, even if I had a situation where I thought I had 4 guys I like, I'd put the youngest on the practice squad simply to develop.

Todd Bauman made the jump to the NFL that way and had a good career as a backup.
    I've definitely had this conversation before, but if you end up using your practice squad QB in a real game that season your season is over.

I've definitely had this conversation before, but if you end up using your practice squad QB in a real game that season your season is over.
    So, better to sign someone off the street which gives you even less chance to win?

The more important reason is the development opportunity, or you don't really think developing a player in you system for the future is important? Is there any position more important to develop a player in your system? QB that I liked but did not yet feel was ready would be about the very first player I'd put on a squad.

So, better to sign someone off the street which gives you even less chance to win?
    Not better, but I don't see much difference between a 4 win season and a 5 win season.

The more important reason is the development opportunity, or you don't really think developing a player in you system for the future is important?
    Not really, how many late round/undrafted QBs end up being above average starters?

Practice squad players are always the last cuts down to the 53 man roster after the last preseason game. Brock was cut less than a week into training camp. Not looking good for any spot, anywhere..

Not really, how many late round/undrafted QBs end up being above average starters?
    Not many, but I don't necessarily see that as the goal, either. They very well may be a competent backup, even if it takes a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by rumple View Post
    Practice squad players are always the last cuts down to the 53 man roster after the last preseason game. Brock was cut less than a week into training camp. Not looking good for any spot, anywhere..
    Agreed; he needs to be in camp with someone to have a chance....say some prayers for Brock.......

Agreed; he needs to be in camp with someone to have a chance....say some prayers for Brock.......
    you can't be serious