Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New NCAA Governance

Default Re: New NCAA Goverance

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Devils advocate: wasn't the USFLs fatal mistake listening to Trump and moving from the Spring to the Fall?
    I cant even remember. That was a long time ago. It won't matter anyways since the Big conferences will all eventually have their own their own tv networks anyway, opening of other channels. Heck they just launched the sec network. You have the Big 10 Network. Before you know it it's the big 12 will have their own. Its obviously the formula. May open up some opportunities for the other smaller conferences and major channels

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

MN_BISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Patrick Reusse is having the commish from the Mountain West conference on his show at 4:15 today to talk about all the changes coming to DI football. 1500 on your AM dial or stream it if interested.
    Last edited by MN_BISON; 07-28-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Devils advocate: wasn't the USFLs fatal mistake listening to Trump and moving from the Spring to the Fall?
    Audit, facts are not important to robots....

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Audit, facts are not important to robots....
    That's scary.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by MN_BISON View Post
    Patrick Reusse is having the commish from the Mountain West conference on his show at 4:15 today to talk about all the changes coming to DI football. 1500 on your AM dial or stream it if interested.
    Dam i missed this!!! Argh. Dam
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MN_BISON View Post
    Any highlights from the show?

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    Any highlights from the show?
    Some points from Craig Thompson (sorry for the block of text)
    • The immediate concern is funding the probable cost of attendance stipend and the new meal benefits - says it will add millions to athletic budgets
    • There will be issues even within the power 5 because of disparate budgets
    • The two changes that would be disastrous are removing the scholarship cap and unlimited transfers - says these are unlikely
    • The role SOS will play in the playoff selection will have a big impact on scheduling philosophies
    • Aug 7th is the vote of the NCAA board - the governance structure will pass
    • Oct 1st new legislation - cost of attendance will come up. It becomes a messy situation because you get into employer-employee issues, IRS issues, government interference
    • The bottom 5 conferences can't really force their members to cover cost of attendance or to not cover it.
    • The few players each MWC school generally gets over the PAC12 would probably go there if MWC schools don't offer stipends
    • Answering if there's a clear division between the top and bottom of FBS, will FCS change and will schools like NDSU look to move up: You've seen some of that with Georgia Southern et al. and maybe some FCS schools will look at it
    • Craig Bohl has a tough schedule this year

When giving an example of scheduling an FCS game impacting SOS vs. scheduling a Big 10 or SEC game he said "I'd hate to say North Dakota State, they've been beating everybody. Ol' Craig Bohl - now at Wyoming"

Quote Originally Posted by B. b. bison View Post
    Some points from Craig Thompson (sorry for the block of text)
    • The immediate concern is funding the probable cost of attendance stipend and the new meal benefits - says it will add millions to athletic budgets
    • There will be issues even within the power 5 because of disparate budgets
    • The two changes that would be disastrous are removing the scholarship cap and unlimited transfers - says these are unlikely
    • The role SOS will play in the playoff selection will have a big impact on scheduling philosophies
    • Aug 7th is the vote of the NCAA board - the governance structure will pass
    • Oct 1st new legislation - cost of attendance will come up. It becomes a messy situation because you get into employer-employee issues, IRS issues, government interference
    • The bottom 5 conferences can't really force their members to cover cost of attendance or to not cover it.
    • The few players each MWC school generally gets over the PAC12 would probably go there if MWC schools don't offer stipends
    • Answering if there's a clear division between the top and bottom of FBS, will FCS change and will schools like NDSU look to move up: You've seen some of that with Georgia Southern et al. and maybe some FCS schools will look at it
    • Craig Bohl has a tough schedule this year

When giving an example of scheduling an FCS game impacting SOS vs. scheduling a Big 10 or SEC game he said "I'd hate to say North Dakota State, they've been beating everybody. Ol' Craig Bohl - now at Wyoming"
    Obviously they're terrified of anything with a wiff of employer-employee about it, though it's only a matter of time before that facade comes down no matter what they do about cost of attendance.

I haven't been able to think of and I haven't heard anyone else advance an actual income tax issue. Like, ROUS's, I don't think they exist. But we know how that worked out.

These guys are all either government entities themselves or not-for-profit institutions so I'm not sure what government interference they're worried about that they're not already subject to either by choice or by virtue of their existence. But they've been having their cake and eating it too for so long that I'm sure they don't feel the rules should apply to them.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

I look forward to student athletes being put first.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    I look forward to student athletes being put first.
    My reaction to that post: 707. I laughed so hard I flipped upside down.