Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Verbal: Ben Ellefson

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2015 Verbal: Ben Ellefson

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    will Ben come back to NDSU & coach?
    Ben Goessling
    @BenGoessling

Ben Ellefson, who retired from the #Vikings last week, will stay around the team in a coaching/scouting role, Kevin O’Connell said. He’ll ramp up in the role closer to training camp.

Many times the wealthiest people don't act like they have lots of money. Grandpa Hammerhead quit farming in the 1980s and never had more than a tractor from the 60s with an open cab and 320 acres yet he had a pretty big bank account. One of my friend's parents also have tons of money and lived an average house. Their only "luxury" items were a class C motorhome and a 1962 Nova convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    They get a flush of cash and don't invest it. They want to live the life of a professional athlete. They also start to take care of mom/dad, friends and family. They all assume they will make this money for multiple years. Most careers end earlier than expected. They have rookie symposiums that encourage them to find a trusted financial advisor and warn them of past pitfalls. But they are still free to do what they want. There are a lot scammers that take advantage of them too.

I have a good friend who played about 9 years in the NFL. He was a good OL but not an All-Pro. He made good money but not the highest salaries. But he was very smart with his money. Spent wisely and invested. He now owns some commercial property, has a realtor license, and with his wife help support families in a lower-income area of the city. They even live in the neighborhood. He's done everything right. But he's the exception.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Many times the wealthiest people don't act like they have lots of money. Grandpa Hammerhead quit farming in the 1980s and never had more than a tractor from the 60s with an open cab and 320 acres yet he had a pretty big bank account. One of my friend's parents also have tons of money and lived an average house. Their only "luxury" items were a class C motorhome and a 1962 Nova convertible.
    My dad farmed the same way. Never took a loan out. Did turn into a little bit of a problem when (well into his retirement years) he applied for a credit card (can't remember exactly why) and was turned down as he didn't have a job (again, retired) and had no credit history. Was kind of funny. I think he could have gotten a credit card in the end but he decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

As for the not acting like having money, saw that plenty in the dental industry. Some of the dental offices that were the nicest and busiest were the most strapped for cash. The old dentist that you would think barely had an clients and old, dingy equipment were the people with a massive bank account.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    My dad farmed the same way. Never took a loan out. Did turn into a little bit of a problem when (well into his retirement years) he applied for a credit card (can't remember exactly why) and was turned down as he didn't have a job (again, retired) and had no credit history. Was kind of funny. I think he could have gotten a credit card in the end but he decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

As for the not acting like having money, saw that plenty in the dental industry. Some of the dental offices that were the nicest and busiest were the most strapped for cash. The old dentist that you would think barely had an clients and old, dingy equipment were the people with a massive bank account.
    First of all, never trust dentists, Fuckem…

Second… sorry, what was the question?
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    This is very true. Something to said for the humility of a wealthy farmer. I know at times North Dakota has the most millionaires per capita of any state in the country. My grandfather was a wealthy farmer. When he sold his homestead in 1984, his newest tractor was a 1974 Case. His newest grain truck was from the 60s and the auction included one from the 1920s.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Or the fact that so many grow up in an environment where budgeting means counting the cash in your pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or just not having any cash at all to spend.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    Or just not having any cash at all to spend.
    Just because one is poor doesnt mean they dont know how to manage money. As a matter of fact I would think if you came from that environment you would learn how to pinch your pennies. My mom was good at it.

Truth is most of the new rich kids dont listen to their advisors and are undisciplined. The NFL etc bring in speakers and hold classes on the pitfalls of new found wealth.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Just because one is poor doesnt mean they dont know how to manage money. As a matter of fact I would think if you came from that environment you would learn how to pinch your pennies. My mom was good at it.

Truth is most of the new rich kids dont listen to their advisors and are undisciplined. The NFL etc bring in speakers and hold classes on the pitfalls of new found wealth.
    My first real job out of college I ended up working with an old timer ready to retire. He was supposed to train in a new guy and then retire but he was getting off on out working the new guy and making him quit. I put up with his shit and got his job. Still get a Christmas card every year with 2 dollar bills in it. He told me he was so poor when he was a kid that they ate dirt. Saved like crazy. Didn't waste stuff. Drove an old buck with like 300000 miles on it. First day of retirement he rolls up to his old job in a yellow z06 corvette! The one and only eh.

Lardsin must go!

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    My first real job out of college I ended up working with an old timer ready to retire. He was supposed to train in a new guy and then retire but he was getting off on out working the new guy and making him quit. I put up with his shit and got his job. Still get a Christmas card every year with 2 dollar bills in it. He told me he was so poor when he was a kid that they ate dirt. Saved like crazy. Didn't waste stuff. Drove an old buck with like 300000 miles on it. First day of retirement he rolls up to his old job in a yellow z06 corvette! The one and only eh.
    Growing up in north central ND, I had no idea that we were poor because, I think, most everyone else was at the time. Even the few big farmers that had some money didn't really flaunt it and there was a major drought going on in the late 80's that was kicking their ass.

Opposite situation when I lived in Western Michigan after college. You'd regularly see some really fancy sport car or luxury car/truck of some sort parked in front of a really shitty house with a crappy swingset on the front lawn. That always spoke volumes to me about someone's priorities.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Growing up in north central ND, I had no idea that we were poor because, I think, most everyone else was at the time. Even the few big farmers that had some money didn't really flaunt it and there was a major drought going on in the late 80's that was kicking their ass.

Opposite situation when I lived in Western Michigan after college. You'd regularly see some really fancy sport car or luxury car/truck of some sort parked in front of a really shitty house with a crappy swingset on the front lawn. That always spoke volumes to me about someone's priorities.
    Maybe they'd rather have a nice car then pay property taxes. I'm starting to lean this way myself as property taxes are getting outrageous!