Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Year Round Bison Football

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Year Round Bison Football

One of the beauties of the NFL and why it is so popular is they have created a brand that gets attention all year round.

Starts in July Training camp, August Pre Season, September though December Regular season, January Playoffs, February Super Bowl, March/April Cut Players and Free Agency and Combines, May Draft, June Mini camps/OTA's

July Start over again. As a result we have year round NFL News. Basketball is getting some of the same effect with draft and free agnency, making it year round.

Aside from the die hards, I would suspect a lot of BISON football fans move on other things when the season is over.

Obviously, NDSU Football has some things going on, Signing Day, Spring Practice, Practice starts in late July. But there are lull's in the promotion of the brand.

And maybe it gets put on the back burner since the University has other successful sports programs that get promoted throughout the year.

But the reality is, football is king at NDSU and it should be on a year round pedestal. Attention, breeds more attention and the brand grows.

Some of the key points during the year, recruiting/signing day, you are somewhat limited on, since they are often times out of state high school kids, that you may not see play for 2 or 3 years.

But adding events through the year to get the fan involved. Spring Football game, blow it up. If NDSU wants to be big time, have a spring game that fills the place? What or how? I don't know, give aways, concert in the parking lot, I don't know, bonus team maker points if you attend. I don't know, other schools do it why can't we?

How about Football Fantasy Camp like the MLB teams do. Old guys can spend money, do film season, training with the coaches. Get our names on the big screen. Have a Flag football game against old bison greats.

The Bison opens, I don't know how many they do, but do like the Twins Caravan. around the state and western ND.

Bison week in Phoenix in the Winter. I know Marcus and I think Turner visited last winter at a Phoenix Function and they were huge.

Now some of this stuff they might already be doing, but promote the living crap out of it. You have marketing students at NDSU, turn them loose. You have contact lists out there, get the word out. As you can tell from some of the comments on this board, not everyone knows what NDSU is doing.

FOOTBALL is king. Promote it and turn it into a year round machine.

Default Re: Year Round Bison Football

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    How about Football Fantasy Camp like the MLB teams do. Old guys can spend money, do film season, training with the coaches. Get our names on the big screen. Have a Flag football game against old bison greats.
    Will the shoulder pads fit under furry yellow coats?

This thread has possibilities.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Umm.. you do remember the players are kids, and are at NDSU to improve their education. What you are saying is treating the kids like celebraties. If you want the players to do all kinds of extra things, then you better get in the B10, so you can pay them.
    Many of the players already do (volunteer) things, you dont hear of like visit kids in hospitals and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Will the shoulder pads fit under furry yellow coats?

This thread has possibilities.
    My kid was just at a football camp in the cities and I sat in on a few sessions. QB film Session and High School Recruiting 101, put on my a NFL regional scout. Two aspects as a fan, you don't get to see. I know at the bison bidders bowl, the "Bison Game Day Experience", on the field for the game, on the field for the warm ups, etc. It went to a couple of grand.

You get 400 younger kids at NDSU football camp, why wouldn't the fans want to go through this. Hell big green egg cooking school is well attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Loud and Proud Bison fan View Post
    Umm.. you do remember the players are kids, and are at NDSU to improve their education. What you are saying is treating the kids like celebraties. If you want the players to do all kinds of extra things, then you better get in the B10, so you can pay them.
    Many of the players already do (volunteer) things, you dont hear of like visit kids in hospitals and stuff.
    Actually when I said Turner and Marcus at the Phonix, I believe they were done with school and working out in the Phoenix area, so they were no longer students. And as for the Caravans' the coaches and ex players. Once a Bison always a bison, bring back, Tyrone, and other ex bison greats, that are playing pro ball. Chapo would have the list, he has them all on speed dial.

Also, I must say. I am not an NFL fan for the reasons you mentioned. They try and jam way too much stuff now my throat, and it is actually a turn-off. I dont care about mini-camps, OTAs etc. I listen to kfan most of the day at work, but refuse to listen to PA, b/c all he does is talk viking football. Talk about a pompus arse today, when Mike Yeo was on and he asked him.. if he was going to attend Vikings mini camp. While yes most coaches support each other in the same team.. why in the H-e- double hockey stick would Mike Yeo give two hoots about Vikings Mini camp. I know I dont give a hoot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    Actually when I said Turner and Marcus at the Phonix, I believe they were done with school and working out in the Phoenix area, so they were no longer students. And as for the Caravans' the coaches and ex players. Once a Bison always a bison, bring back, Tyrone, and other ex bison greats, that are playing pro ball. Chapo would have the list, he has them all on speed dial.
    This would actually make for a good fund raiser event. Get some of the guys like Phil, Tyrone, Walker, Drago, Brock, Billy, Rocky back for a golf game or just a meet and greet. Actually wouldn't have to be just FB guys either could be all sports maybe Woody, Amy, heck any of them would could partake. Maybe combine it with an NDSU BBQ boot camp to get ready for tailgating. Have it in the West lots and charge an entrance fee.

here is Drago building his Bison Brand using ex NDSU players.

More power too him. But others are taking NDSU football to build their brand. NDSU can do the same.

http://www.oneherd.com/

If you scroll down you see he has Brock in the promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Loud and Proud Bison fan View Post
    Also, I must say. I am not an NFL fan for the reasons you mentioned. They try and jam way too much stuff now my throat, and it is actually a turn-off. I dont care about mini-camps, OTAs etc. I listen to kfan most of the day at work, but refuse to listen to PA, b/c all he does is talk viking football. Talk about a pompus arse today, when Mike Yeo was on and he asked him.. if he was going to attend Vikings mini camp. While yes most coaches support each other in the same team.. why in the H-e- double hockey stick would Mike Yeo give two hoots about Vikings Mini camp. I know I dont give a hoot about it.
    I can relate to it, but that is what the NFL has done and as result that is why the values of the franchises, tv deals, marketing have gone through the roof.

There has been a lot a talk about money, raising money, then this is the type of presentation NDSU has to make. They are fighting for a finite amount of disposable income, they are competing against the Redhawks, Sioux Hockey, Wefest, so they need to be in the public eye and create a buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    This would actually make for a good fund raiser event. Get some of the guys like Phil, Tyrone, Walker, Drago, Brock, Billy, Rocky back for a golf game or just a meet and greet. Actually wouldn't have to be just FB guys either could be all sports maybe Woody, Amy, heck any of them would could partake. Maybe combine it with an NDSU BBQ boot camp to get ready for tailgating. Have it in the West lots and charge an entrance fee.
    What was the snowmobile event the Vikings used to do in Brainerd? Ski Trip, Golf outings, cruises like the washed up rock bands do.

Speaking of cruises, UND Alumni has Alumni Trips, cruises that I hear are well done. 50-200 Und Alum on a big boats cruising throughout the world. Its a way to get the touches Herdbot mentioned I don't know if NDSU does something like this.