Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US Championships

Default Re: US Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    On another topic ... Riley Dolezal (spelling?)

He did great today. Second place with a throw of 160' Riley was ahead until the 5th round and then the winner heaved a 166' in the 5th round. Both Riley and the winner fouled on their 6th (and last) throws.

Though I would have liked him to do better then his 173' from last year, the 160' shows consistent good throwing.

Anyone know if he will be throwing the rest of the summer, say in Europe.
    All I know is that he will be throwing in Vancouver next.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Roesler's time was 5th fastest in the world this year, I believe.

ihmo ... it is 90% mental (confidence, etc) for Roesler at this point. Talent, ability, are not in question (in my view). I don't think Ajee has run a 51 quarter nor a 4:40 mile, both of which LR has done. This is Laura's first race under 2:00, and if she did not let up a bit at the end she would have run a 1:58 something. If Laura can get the mental part of her racing down, she will pass Ajee. Football teams know how important it is to enter a competition confident, but not cocky, and to know that somehow they can dig down deep and pull out the close ones. (NDSU's team had this last year). I think it gets overlooked with track athletes. imo ... Laura needs to get to that point, then she will show another big jump in improvement. I know, based on articles I have read, that her coaches at Oregon have been working on the mental aspect of her racing.

I might be all wet, but that is what I think.
    I heard the interview where she said that she conceded the race at 100 meters and I am not sure why she said that, because when I was watching the video she was gritting her teeth to the very end which is something I have never seen her do. I read somewhere that said that she ran 25 races this season. I am not sure about Ajee's race count but I am guessing that it is considerably less. Laura made a huge break through and I still think that she has a bigger upside than Wilson because of her speed. They both have very bright futures.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

On another topic ... Riley Dolezal (spelling?)

He did great today. Second place with a throw of 160' Riley was ahead until the 5th round and then the winner heaved a 166' in the 5th round. Both Riley and the winner fouled on their 6th (and last) throws.

Though I would have liked him to do better then his 173' from last year, the 160' shows consistent good throwing.

Anyone know if he will be throwing the rest of the summer, say in Europe.
    Add a 100 to your numbers! This ain't high school
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Add a 100 to your numbers! This ain't high school
    I was wondering about those numbers, but then I started to think maybe it was in meters, but that seemed waaaay too far.

Should not forget Amanda Smock's victory in the triple jump.

Regarding Roesler and Wilson
    Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    . . . Laura made a huge break through and I still think that she has a bigger upside than Wilson because of her speed. They both have very bright futures.
    Diamond League event, 18 July. in Monaco. Best in the world were there, and both Roesler and Wilson ran the 800m.

Results:
    1st place and world leading. Ajee Wilson in 1:57.67
    7th place, very respectable. Laura Roesler in 1:59.44

Wilson is looking more and more like the real deal here, genuine world contender, even against the Africans & Russians who have been particularly strong. A 1:57 at her young age (20 years old?), considering 800m runners tend to peak in their late 20s, is an awfully good time. As for Roesler, she now has two sub 2:00 metric half-miles in a row, so perhaps the mental barrier is finally behind her.

As Castor Troy said, "the both have very bright futures." Indeed. Also two to watch. Roesler will be in a very competitive 4x800m relay in Eugene tomorrow. Should be interesting.