Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Championships

Default US Championships

Laura Roesler and Riley Dolezal are both competing today. Here is the live feed. I am sure that Laura's race will be televised but you can watch all of Riley's throws.

http://live.usatf.tv.s3-website-us-e....com/live.html
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Default Re: US Championships

Wow....Laura ran a 1:59.04 and came in 2nd!!

Great job

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post

Great job
    First time under 2 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post

Great job
    Outstanding time! Has more in her imho. Also, was very hot on the track..I think they said 103?
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Looks like Riley Dolezal took 2nd in the Jav and Shawn Francis NH in the pole vault.
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Outstanding time! Has more in her imho. Also, was very hot on the track..I think they said 103?
    I think Laura was a little disappointed, looking at her face after the race. I think she wanted to win. But 2nd is terrific, and this was her breakthrough race - under 2:00 for the first time. Two years ago in an interview she talked about the 2:00 barrier being "her crucifix." Now she has that out of the way. With the 1:59 she is also #2 all-time at Oregon in the 800m. (Top time is 1:58.33). I think she is capable of running another 2-3 seconds faster, but I also think that today she gave it all she had except perhaps in the last 10-20 meters when she knew she had 2nd and also was not going to catch Wilson. But great race, fun to be able to see it. She ran a perfect race - got into position on the first home stretch, took off at just the right time, with about 280-300 meters to go. (As one of you noted, I also suspect the heat impacted her.)

EDIT Addition: there is an interview of Laura on flotrack.org, after the race. She said she conceded the race a little down the last 100 meters, but also said she still had "gas in the tank" when she was done. She did not come right out and say it, but implied that she could have won the race.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 06-30-2014 at 01:59 AM.

I don't think has ever beaten Ajee' Wilson. They have been competing against each other since they were teens and it usually ends exactly the way it did today. I am really excited to see what Laura can do when she can focus as a pro since that is what Wilson has been able to do since she never attended college.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    I don't think has ever beaten Ajee' Wilson. They have been competing against each other since they were teens and it usually ends exactly the way it did today. I am really excited to see what Laura can do when she can focus as a pro since that is what Wilson has been able to do since she never attended college.
    Yeah will be fun to watch her progress as a pro. She broke through the 2:00 mental hurdle in a big big way. Great time for ridiculous hot conditions. One of the steeple chase competitors said he was told it was more like 120 degrees on the track. Maybe she can run a better time at a Europe meet in August.

ihmo ... it is 90% mental (confidence, etc) for Roesler at this point. Talent, ability, are not in question (in my view). I don't think Ajee has run a 51 quarter nor a 4:40 mile, both of which LR has done. This is Laura's first race under 2:00, and if she did not let up a bit at the end she would have run a 1:58 something. If Laura can get the mental part of her racing down, she will pass Ajee. Football teams know how important it is to enter a competition confident, but not cocky, and to know that somehow they can dig down deep and pull out the close ones. (NDSU's team had this last year). I think it gets overlooked with track athletes. imo ... Laura needs to get to that point, then she will show another big jump in improvement. I know, based on articles I have read, that her coaches at Oregon have been working on the mental aspect of her racing.

I might be all wet, but that is what I think.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 06-30-2014 at 01:34 AM.

On another topic ... Riley Dolezal (spelling?)

He did great today. Second place with a throw of 160' Riley was ahead until the 5th round and then the winner heaved a 166' in the 5th round. Both Riley and the winner fouled on their 6th (and last) throws.

Though I would have liked him to do better then his 173' from last year, the 160' shows consistent good throwing.

Anyone know if he will be throwing the rest of the summer, say in Europe.