Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: No Minnesotan's on scholarship 2014-2015

Default Re: No Minnesotan's on scholarship 2014-2015

Quote Originally Posted by Herd12 View Post
    I think he was talking about our recruiting footprint. We seem to be pulling our talent from Illinois and Wisconsin, both states are better sources of talent than Minnesota.
    If we can go to Oregon, we can go anywhere !
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

I think he was talking about our recruiting footprint. We seem to be pulling our talent from Illinois and Wisconsin, both states are better sources of talent than Minnesota.
    I would def disagree with that statement. I think it more so had to do with Saul and Will having more connections to Wisconsin vs. Minnesota.

ya think??

I always wanted to know why Richman couldn't just form a pipeline from NDSCS to NDSU (Andre Smith was 1 obviously)
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

NDSU has never been about bringing in JUCO transfers to build a team, they like to get their talent from high school build them up with our amazing strength & conditioning program and allow them to play in the same system for all 4 or 5 years they are here. I agree with this philosophy because unless they are supremely talented our staff can the freshman they bring in up to the playing level in our system by time they are juniors as they could get any JUCO to in one offseason. For every Andre Smith there's a Dejuan Flowers, it's the nature of the beast.

MN_BISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Wisconsin and Illinois have some great high school basketball, both offer more talent to recruit(especially Illinois).

There is a ton of competition for recruits in MN for hoops and there is only so much talent. We've tried to go after a few guys and for whatever reason it didn't work out. That said, I just want guys that are excited to be Bison, don't care where they are from.

I am not sure about NDSU being in the sticks, we seem to do well in football in metro areas. Not buying that thinking.
    Yeah, I see your point. The only reason I brought that up is it has been referenced to me a couple of times, in fact I think one of the social media MN preps guys actually posted it on here once, can't remember who but it was a while ago. I said the same thing about our football success and players from the MPLS/St.P metro and he came back with the basketball players have a different mind set or something along those lines. Again, I believe the key is getting them on campus to see for themselves what Fargo and NDSU are really like. I'm not too worried about it though, not concerned about their zip code, more concerned if they can play.

As far as the best player from the metro, pretty hard to top Lance Berwald(sp).

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Dutchman View Post
    I would def disagree with that statement. I think it more so had to do with Saul and Will having more connections to Wisconsin vs. Minnesota.
    What do you disagree with from that statement? Part of it was clarifying (possibly incorrectly) another poster's statement. The fact that Wisconsin and Illinois produce more collegiate athletes is fact based on numbers, not opinion. The "leftovers" idea is fact too. The Wisconsin basketball program is light years ahead of what's going on in Minneapolis. The University of Minnesota has 2 Minnesotans on the basketball team. Now I know that they missed on Tyus and Reid Travis but those national top 20 kids aren't ever going to be Gophers. The basketball in Chicago is roughly eleventy billion times better than the basketball in Minneapolis. This coaching staff needs to continue to sign the best players for the program. Yes, it sucks that JT Gibson signed elsewhere. Yes, it sucks that Dan Jech signed elsewhere. Those are failures by the coaching staff to get the kids they offer signed. Guess what? You don't get everyone that you offer.

A "man we're missing out on a lot of kids that we offer" thread would be still tedious but would be more worthwhile than this. This no Minnesotans thing is about bias. It's about bias and it's the same guy who got mad when we signed Brock Jensen because he was a "drunken sconi".
    Now this is the law of the prairie
    As old and as true as the sky
    And the Bison that keep it will prosper
    And the Bison that break it will die
    As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk
    This law is the final word:
    For the strength of the Herd is the Bison
    And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Not disagreeing with you that we haven't had some great ones from Minnesota but also remember this roster after Woody graduated:

0 Dejuan Flowers F 6-7 220 Sr. Shakopee, Minn. Hopkins HS Mt. San Jacinto JC
    3 Mike Felt G 6-3 180 Fr. Redwood Falls, Minn. Redwood Valley HS
    4 Freddy Coleman G 6-3 225 Jr. St. Paul, Minn. St. Paul Johnson HS
    12 Drew Lundberg G 6-1 190 So. Owatonna, Minn. Owatonna HS Northern Iowa
    13 Nate Zastrow G 6-0 160 Fr. Manitowoc, Wis. Manitowoc Lincoln HS
    21 Austin Pennick G 6-3 200 Sr. Fargo, N.D. Moorhead Park Christian HS
    23 Michael Tveidt F 6-7 210 Jr. Pierre, S.D. T.F. Riggs HS
    24 Taylor BraunClick here to hear it G 6-7 185 Fr. Newberg, Ore. Newberg HS
    25 Eric Carlson F 6-6 220 So. Shakopee, Minn. Shakopee HS
    32 Josh Vaughan G 6-4 200 Sr. Braham, Minn. Braham HS
    34 Sam Sussenguth F 6-8 230 Sr. Willmar, Minn. Willmar HS
    44 Jordan AabergClick here to hear it F 6-9 215 Fr. Rothsay, Minn. Rothsay HS
    50 Andy Nagel F 6-9 255 RFr. Fort Dodge, Iowa St. Edmond HS

There's a whole lot of Minnesota on that roster and we were terrible, Tveidt was the best player on that roster and from SD and eventually Taylor Braun took over and he's from Oregon. Just saying you can pick whatever side you want and make the facts lean your way.

Like I said I just want great ones, I don't care what state they are from.
    How dumb does this thread look now? LA, of Illinois, is going to be Summit POY. AJ Jacobson of Fargo Freaking North Dakota and Paul Miller pride of Waukesha look poised to take this program forward. The team is in first place in the league with a bunch of KIDS and is laying waste to what happened in 2009 after the last tournament run and the failures of that "Minnesota All-Star Team".

The coaching staff knows where to find BISON. It doesn't matter where they are from and we shouldn't care.
    Now this is the law of the prairie
    As old and as true as the sky
    And the Bison that keep it will prosper
    And the Bison that break it will die
    As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk
    This law is the final word:
    For the strength of the Herd is the Bison
    And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

Honestly I couldn't care less about where the players come from. I only have a slightly higher level of interest in the success of a ND native. Other than that I do not care. As far as Minnesota is concerned I'm completely OK with the pipeline from Wisconsin. If we're getting the good players that don't go to Wisconsin instead of the good players that don't go to Minnesota we're coming out ahead. Wisconsin's football and basketball programs have been better than Minnesota's for 20 years now.
    MN people don't like WI, ND people don't dislike either state... As long as the basketball player knows what kind of weather they are signing up for... who cares where they are from? Maybe we should build an outdoor basketball court and recruit a bunch of Alaskans. Talk about home court advantage.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21