Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Gene Taylor is Leaving NDSU

Default Re: Gene Taylor is Leaving NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    There will be some seriously qualified candidates applying for this position. NDSU has built itself into being one of the premiere stepping stones in the nation. The days of someone making a full career out of NDSU athletics is gone. Lynn Dorn is a dinosaur in today's NDSU. With this model NDSU has created, whether intentionally or not, it gives the institution a huge advantage when it comes to hiring. Part of the process is now NDSU is giving someone the incredible opportunity of their career to prove themselves and show off to the next level. Instead of taking someone with the best credentials on paper, we can look someone in the eye and ask, "what have you done to earn this opportunity?" There should be no excuse for getting someone who is talented, hungry, motivated, and willing to go the extra mile for the program knowing the end result is a guaranteed step up in the future. This is no longer a give it a try program, it is a get it done program. Everybody wins.

I am excited for GT. I think his stepping up speaks volumes for both himself and NDSU. Like others said, he is leaving this program in better shape then he found it. Sometimes it is just time to move on.

This is exactly my thoughts on where our institution currently is in the world of college athletics. I'd prefer to be a place which is about 2 steps higher, but I don't think that is currently economically feasible at this time.

I just got back from some R and R in Duluth, and heard the news when there.

I am going to state this simply:

Of all the changes in the athletics department this past year, including the loss of Coach Bohl, this is by far the one that is potentially the most disastrous. (Note, I said "potentially' disastrous; I very much doubt this happens, but the point is what if we ended up with another Bob E?)

Best wishes Gene. I was the guy in Sioux Falls who after NDSU won the baseball tourney who yelled, "Way to go Gene!"

I will give a big thumbs up to having Prakash Mathew being named interim AD. He is a very competent administrator and will keep the ship afloat until a new AD is picked.

Da Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I just got back from some R and R in Duluth, and heard the news when there.

I am going to state this simply:

Of all the changes in the athletics department this past year, including the loss of Coach Bohl, this is by far the one that is potentially the most disastrous. (Note, I said "potentially' disastrous; I very much doubt this happens, but the point is what if we ended up with another Bob E?)

Best wishes Gene. I was the guy in Sioux Falls who after NDSU won the baseball tourney who yelled, "Way to go Gene!"

I will give a big thumbs up to having Prakash Mathew being named interim AD. He is a very competent administrator and will keep the ship afloat until a new AD is picked.
    I too am glad that Mathew will be the interim AD, and not Lynn Dorn.

Sent from my NSA monitored Droid using Tapatalk
    The original Da Bison.
    Not to be confused with imposters

Quote Originally Posted by Hail bison View Post
    IMO, you don't hire AD's or university presidents from within. There is no clear cut candidate mentored by Taylor to take over. Totally different than coaching changes
    I don't really have enough overall information regarding hiring from within as far as university presidents and ADs are concerned. Thinking back, however, UND made an outstanding hire when Tom Clifford was elevated to the presidency of UND a number of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by siouxdgj View Post
    I don't really have enough overall information regarding hiring from within as far as university presidents and ADs are concerned. Thinking back, however, UND made an outstanding hire when Tom Clifford was elevated to the presidency of UND a number of years ago.
    As with every question like this, the answer is invariably "it depends." (Which means I agree with you.)

Hail bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by siouxdgj View Post
    I'm not well versed in the process either. Gabe makes a good argument to consider an internal candidate. He is obviously familiar with Goergen. I think AD at NDSU is a very desirable position and will attract some outstanding candidates. We have a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality right now and I think it would be too easy to to promote from within. The football and MBB hires were no brainers in my opinion. The AD position is not. It's my bias. Bring in someone with new energy and, to a point, new ideas. Not a time to be complacent

Answer Guy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    I went through coaches and AD's
    From an outsider's perspective, it doesn't seem nearly as entertaining as the last time you had an AD resign.
    Teh Interwebs – a place you can say stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Answer Guy View Post
    From an outsider's perspective, it doesn't seem nearly as entertaining as the last time you had an AD resign.
    Hahaha!

Well, I hope it's even more beneficial for NDSU than that retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail bison View Post
    I'm not well versed in the process either. Gabe makes a good argument to consider an internal candidate. He is obviously familiar with Goergen. I think AD at NDSU is a very desirable position and will attract some outstanding candidates. We have a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality right now and I think it would be too easy to to promote from within. The football and MBB hires were no brainers in my opinion. The AD position is not. It's my bias. Bring in someone with new energy and, to a point, new ideas. Not a time to be complacent
    i will agree with this 100%. do an extensive search and if we can find the perfect candidate from outside lets do it, but they need to be MUCH BETTER than internal candidates. I'm not only familiar with Goergen but many in the athletic department so I'm not trying to single him out. He just seems like a good fit but I'm certainly not an expert

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

perthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Answer Guy View Post
    You are correct. Where'd that guy get his degree from anyway?