Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Okay, here is a question I've only asked a couple people while tailgating......

Default Re: Okay, here is a question I've only asked a couple people while tailgating......

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    As I understand it, there was a strong commitment to make a group decision as a conference. Some were for it, others against. I'll hang up and wait for an answer from someone in the know, though.
    Not in the know, and not 60 yet, but the NCC did not step up, hence why us casual observers always kept an eye to the west - to the Big Sky Conference, after the 1978's split - how were Montana State and Montana doing? And we kinda wanted to be like (and with) them. A friend who was a Montana State booster at the time would tell me that he wanted NDSU in the Big Sky, seemed like a natural fit to him. But he was from Nebraska originally and had no ND prejudices like some MT folks did.
    (yes, Montanans, especially in eastern MT, always told ND jokes back then, maybe still do). However, Jim would tell me that the majority of other MSU boosters he would talk to did not want NDSU in. They were somewhat worried about being dominated in the non-revenue sports by NDSU (and maybe a 2nd NCC school as well). Football and basketball fine, but they always seemed to have budget problems for sports. That feeling may have changed occassionally during different time periods, but the school (MSU) that should have been NDSU's biggest booster for the Big Sky wasn't always. MSU & the Big Sky also seemed much more in tune with the western USA, hence Portland State and EWU getting in and the California excursion. The Bottom Line, however, to this Big Sky story is, the Big Sky really blew it when they did not invite NDSU-SDSU during the 2000's transition. Bozeman and Missoula should have insisted, and not let the western fringe block it.

Default Re: Okay, here is a question I've only asked a couple people while tailgating......

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Okay, here is membership in 1978:

Morningside: They'd be a firm no.
    North Dakota: I'd assume they were a no since they've never had any vision outside the hockies
    North Dakota St: I'd like to think they'd have been a yes, but certainly could have had small minded leaders
    South Dakota: I'd bet they were no
    South Dakota St: I'd like to think they would have been yes.
    UNI: Firm yes based on what they did; they immediately left
    Augie: No
    Northern Colorado: not considered since they only joined that year

Obviously, this is speculation, but if NDSU decided they'd only do something as a conference, it was likely doomed. Again, anyone over 60 know the real story?
    Actually, USD has historically been supportive, surprisingly. When NDSU moved up and asked the conference to move up with them USD was in if the conference was in, again as far as i know...
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    same reason ndsu isn't fbs now.
    no salesperson out front.
    no one "sells" NDSU.
    the aw shucks establishment when it comes to taking risks is very apparent.
    Just because they arent talking to you doesnt mean they arent out there shaking the trees.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Just want to point out that the NDSU of 1978 was not the NDSU of 2004, much less 2014. Enrollment was what, less than half what it is today?
    I started at NDSU in the Fall of 1980 and our football team was nothing special. It was right on the edge of breaking out but I don't think any fans had a clue what was coming. I sure didn't. Basketball was pretty good. Baseball was equivalent to a weak American Legion team. Amy Ruley was new. I never considered attending a women's game then.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I started at NDSU in the Fall of 1980 and our football team was nothing special. It was right on the edge of breaking out but I don't think any fans had a clue what was coming. I sure didn't. Basketball was pretty good. Baseball was equivalent to a weak American Legion team. Amy Ruley was new. I never considered attending a women's game then.
    NDSU FB record
    1975 2-7-0
    1976 9-3-0
    1977 9-2-1
    1978 6-4-0
    1979 6-4-0
    1980 6-4-0
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

NDSU and UN_ applied to the Big Sky back in 1981 or 1982, but weren't accepted. There were quite a few current FCS schools that didn't move to DI-AA until 1980 or 1981.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    NDSU and UN_ applied to the Big Sky back in 1981 or 1982, but weren't accepted. There were quite a few current FCS schools that didn't move to DI-AA until 1980 or 1981.
    Great; good solid info I was looking for. Then, I wonder if the leaders in 1978 did not see what was coming?

Yep, the Big Fluffy went with Weber State and Northern AZ back in 81 when we tried. That seemed to throw cold water on the idea for a while.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Great info. So at that point Northern Iowa went to the Gateway. Did ndsu or un_ apply for the gateway?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Great info. So at that point Northern Iowa went to the Gateway. Did ndsu or un_ apply for the gateway?
    I do know UN_ applied for a decade + of a can of whoop a** in 1980.