Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Okay, here is a question I've only asked a couple people while tailgating......

Default Okay, here is a question I've only asked a couple people while tailgating......

I have been fascinated for some time why in the devil NDSU ended up staying in D2 when the 1978 creation of 1AA football started. That would have seemed to me a natural time to move to D1 and can understand the decision making up until that point of staying in D2. Was the NCC against that or something? Who knows the actual history and why did the NDSU leaders choose not to move up?

Okay, you old guys, fill us in.

Default Re: Okay, here is a question I've only asked a couple people while tailgating......

You gotta have an invite dumbass. wait wrong conferance move question/comment :-) :-) \

Thats a good question, would like to know the backstory as well....seems like we screwed the pooch on that.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I have been fascinated for some time why in the devil NDSU ended up staying in D2 when the 1978 creation of 1AA football started. That would have seemed to me a natural time to move to D1 and can understand the decision making up until that point of staying in D2. Was the NCC against that or something? Who knows the actual history and why did the NDSU leaders choose not to move up?

Default Re: Okay, here is a question I've only asked a couple people while tailgating......

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post

As I understand it, there was a strong commitment to make a group decision as a conference. Some were for it, others against. I'll hang up and wait for an answer from someone in the know, though.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

marenlee is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    As I understand it, there was a strong commitment to make a group decision as a conference. Some were for it, others against. I'll hang up and wait for an answer from someone in the know, though.
    Unless your name was UNI. I'm thinking Morningside and Augustana were a couple schools against. Can you imagine them D1?

Quote Originally Posted by marenlee View Post
    Unless your name was UNI. I'm thinking Morningside and Augustana were a couple schools against. Can you imagine them D1?
    Okay, here is membership in 1978:

Morningside: They'd be a firm no.
    North Dakota: I'd assume they were a no since they've never had any vision outside the hockies
    North Dakota St: I'd like to think they'd have been a yes, but certainly could have had small minded leaders
    South Dakota: I'd bet they were no
    South Dakota St: I'd like to think they would have been yes.
    UNI: Firm yes based on what they did; they immediately left
    Augie: No
    Northern Colorado: not considered since they only joined that year

Obviously, this is speculation, but if NDSU decided they'd only do something as a conference, it was likely doomed. Again, anyone over 60 know the real story?

Just want to point out that the NDSU of 1978 was not the NDSU of 2004, much less 2014. Enrollment was what, less than half what it is today?

same reason ndsu isn't fbs now.
    no salesperson out front.
    no one "sells" NDSU.
    the aw shucks establishment when it comes to taking risks is very apparent.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Just want to point out that the NDSU of 1978 was not the NDSU of 2004, much less 2014. Enrollment was what, less than half what it is today?
    No doubt on this, Hammer, but I am sure enrollment at other schools would be similarly less to a similar percentage degree.

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Did NDSU have the required amount of sports at the time or was that requirement put in after the split?

I'm kind of two minds. Going DI back in 1978 would have made sense, but not going DI might have allowed NDSU to grow into a better fit.