Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/20/2014 Montana Grizzlies @ 3X FCS NC NDSU Bison in the FargoDome

Default Re: 9/20/2014 Montana Grizzlies @ 3X FCS NC NDSU Bison in the FargoDome

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Yep. Hope gene and Dean showcased the product to potential conferences this off-season.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    I am not in the "move at all costs" group, however, it is clear in my mind that NDSU is not playing peer institutions, routinely. Thus the problem of fan support we see with other teams. I just hope the current FBS blows up, and NDSU ends up in a true second tier with more "like" schools like Colorado St.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I am not in the "move at all costs" group, however, it is clear in my mind that NDSU is not playing peer institutions, routinely. Thus the problem of fan support we see with other teams. I just hope the current FBS blows up, and NDSU ends up in a true second tier with more "like" schools like Colorado St.
    This reflects my views as well.

The current structure of the divisions in NCAA football are unbalanced and likely to fall apart sooner or later. In NDSU's current situation a move up in the current structure doesn't seem to make sense, but they should be well positioned to make a move if a realignment does occur.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    This reflects my views as well.

The current structure of the divisions in NCAA football are unbalanced and likely to fall apart sooner or later. In NDSU's current situation a move up in the current structure doesn't seem to make sense, but they should be well positioned to make a move if a realignment does occur.
    At the end of the day, NDSU is still a school with 14k students in a state of 700k.

Same size as St. Cloud State. 4th in the MVFC.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    At the end of the day, NDSU is still a school with 14k students in a state of 700k.

Same size as St. Cloud State. 4th in the MVFC.
    Notre Dame-8400 undergrad, 12K total
    Wyoming-10k undergrad, 13k total

Want me to put in others? I just don't think that is the correct logic as size should not be the major thing to determine peer status in my mind. (and no, Notre Dame is not a peer, but Wyoming certainly is)

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Notre Dame-8400 undergrad, 12K total
    Wyoming-10k undergrad, 13k total

Want me to put in others? I just don't think that is the correct logic as size should not be the major thing to determine peer status in my mind. (and no, Notre Dame is not a peer, but Wyoming certainly is)
    Notre Dame is a private institution. There are several private institutions that can compete based on money.

Wyoming has zero other institutions in the state, and do you really aspire to be Wyoming? How about Idaho?

There are much bigger and well funded institutions in FCS. We aren't miles ahead of the rest, not even at the top.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Notre Dame is a private institution. There are several private institutions that can compete based on money.

Wyoming has zero other institutions in the state, and do you really aspire to be Wyoming? How about Idaho?

There are much bigger and well funded institutions in FCS. We aren't miles ahead of the rest, not even at the top.
    Did I say Notre Dame was a peer?

Hey, If georgia southern, and App state stayed put, there would be alot more national, competitive parody... Im afraid that when they moved, that the rest of the remaining "powers" will jump ship sooner than later...

Unfortunately, I see the FCS playing out kind of like the former Mountain West played out. Had Utah, BYU and Boise all stayed there together, they actually would have been an automatic qualifier for BCS games, but they were to impatient and now Utah is a bottom dweller, Boise has essentially 0 strength of schedule and BYU is a loner. They could have had something great but they ruined it haha.

I feel that alot of power programs in the FCS are just jumping ship because it sounds fun in the present, but in effect, they are screwing themselves and making the league look pathetic in the process. I wish it werent the case, but it seems FCS is going nowhere, fast.

Lets pray to God that the realignment makes sense and we're able to jump a level of competition in the near future.

Somebody tell me one benefit that is worth the extra cost. One.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We would be able to beat up on Minnesota again.

As I clearly stated, I am NOT in the "move at any cost" group. I hope the whole system implodes and good comes out of it. However, this is so easy to answer, it is silly:

1. Increased exposure for the program. We did not even crack the AP top 25 even though we were clearly worthy.
    2. Playing peer institutions with real fan bases
    3. 85 scholarships increasing depth

Again, I just don't see this as black and white that one argument is totally right and the other is totally wrong, but the idea there would be NO potential benefit to NDSU in moving up; I mean not a single possible benefit to justify the cost is not really defensible.