Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins Mini Camp

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Dolphins Mini Camp

Would have been nice to see him throw at the combine. They say if you can't throw 55 mph you don't have much chance in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    Very true. I've known guys that had toothpick arms and probably couldn't bench press a Weiner dog but they had elasticity and good mechanics and could seriously whip a football.
    I'm am/was the opposite. I could bench, but couldn't throw a football or baseball that hard.

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Brock will shine when the Dolphins are down by 6 with 40 seconds remaining in the 4th with the 1st QB out with injury.
    BJ: Give me the chance coach!
    Dolphins win!!!
    RAR

SoCalBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The one, absolute truth I know, without a doubt about Brock Jensen is that he knows what he needs to do to win (and you can read that as "make the team" in this context) and he will adjust and come back even better the next time. Do not bet against this man.

HerdBoy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Billy Turner media interview. Sounds like for now he is playing at Left Guard.

http://bcove.me/uahidrbm
    Last edited by HerdBoy; 05-26-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: I see this has been posted elsewhere. My mistake.

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    Very true. I've known guys that had toothpick arms and probably couldn't bench press a Weiner dog but they had elasticity and good mechanics and could seriously whip a football.
    I was more so pointing to his claim that Tripp might not be strong enough because of his bench stat. It's even less relevant for qbs though. Arm strength is something you're born with.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBoy View Post
    Billy Turner media interview. Sounds like for now he is playing at Left Guard.

http://bcove.me/uahidrbm
    Very well spoken!!!!!
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

The bench press has ZERO correlation to your arm strength to throw a football. Technically, 225 for reps ( and very sloppy reps @ that) DOES NOT measure your upper body strength. It measures muscle endurance. A one rep max tests power and strength. I.E., a powerlifting contest does that. Of course, they don't want to risk injury. But 275 or 315 for reps is what they should be using for at least the lineman.

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    The bench press has ZERO correlation to your arm strength to throw a football. Technically, 225 for reps ( and very sloppy reps @ that) DOES NOT measure your upper body strength. It measures muscle endurance. A one rep max tests power and strength. I.E., a powerlifting contest does that. Of course, they don't want to risk injury. But 275 or 315 for reps is what they should be using for at least the lineman.
    Not to mention snatch or full clean.

Most of the combine drills are a frickin joke. Who cares what a lineman runs in the forty, who cares how many times someone benches 225, if you can't tell how good a player is by his game film you are a in the wrong line of work. Al Davis always drafted the combine star and it rarely works out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Most of the combine drills are a frickin joke. Who cares what a lineman runs in the forty, who cares how many times someone benches 225, if you can't tell how good a player is by his game film you are a in the wrong line of work. Al Davis always drafted the combine star and it rarely works out well.
    The combine drills aren't completely useless. Game film and one on one interviews are probably more important when its all said and done. Combine drills help fill in the information gaps but obviously can't replicate game like scenarios