Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good start - Outdoor season 2014

Default Good start - Outdoor season 2014

I have been impressed with some of the early season performances.

Recently, Heinze running 58 and change in the women's 400m Int Hurdles. School record in the 4x400m. Lesser and Weimerskirch setting school records in the hammer and discuss. Milbrath doing fantastic for a freshman (200m, 400m). On the men's side, Jerome ran a darn good 400m Int hurdles, and the throwers on the men's side with some school records.

Not as recognized, but just as impressive to me ... Dalton Herding. I don't know what his best high school time was in the 800m, but the info on the roster page gives 1:59.40 at the ND state meet. If that is his best time, or close to it, then he has improved dramatically at NDSU running a 1:53.93 recently. Six seconds is a lot of time in the 800m. He has three seasons after this one, so may be someone to watch. Reminds me of another small town athlete from ND - Christine Schmaltz - who once she got in a good program with other good athletes, improved dramatically while at NDSU. (a place to workout in the winter, good athletes to train with, (I assume) better knowledge about nutrition, very good coaching, etc.)

Go Bison ! Great job so far. (I am sure I missed some people, there are so many events in T&F).

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Good start - Outdoor season 2014

Ashley Tingelstad broke a 13 year old school record in the 400 running 52.87 last weekend, 14th best college time in the nation this year. Also Antoinette Goodman lowered her 200 meter school record with a PR 23.40. This years women's team may be our best ever!

Goodman smashed her old PR with the 23.4, and improved on teh school record by nearly 5 tenths of a second. In an event where records usually come by the tenths here, a few hundredths there, her improvement on the school record (which was her former PR) is pretty incredible.

I was glad to see AT get the school record in the 400m. NDSU now finally has a 400m record that is better than the ND high school record of 53.25 (set by the senior from South High, Laura Roesler, in her epic race against the freshman from Minot, Morgan Milbrath, who ran 53.31 - in probably the greatest race in ND high school track and field history).

Bison Illustrated had a photo of the 4x400 relay team - holy cow, they look like superhuman!

Rose Jackson and Katelyn Weimerskirch are having a heck of a first season. Heck, Katelyn came in and immediately set an NDSU record in the discus... by over 12 feet.

BTW, I've probably said it before but hats off to the way gobison.com is updated for women's track info. Outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Goodman smashed her old PR with the 23.4, and improved on teh school record by nearly 5 tenths of a second. In an event where records usually come by the tenths here, a few hundredths there, her improvement on the school record (which was her former PR) is pretty incredible.

I was glad to see AT get the school record in the 400m. NDSU now finally has a 400m record that is better than the ND high school record of 53.25 (set by the senior from South High, Laura Roesler, in her epic race against the freshman from Minot, Morgan Milbrath, who ran 53.31 - in probably the greatest race in ND high school track and field history).
    I was near the finish line when Roesler and Milbrath ran the 400 at the state final in 2010. I remember looking up at the time on the scoreboard when they finished and thinking that it couldn't be right but it was. Most of the spectators and even the meet officials were stunned by the time!

I am curious

first ... Maddie McClellon (5000m, 3000m Steeplechase) ... ran an outstanding 5000m indoors, a 40 second improvement (appr.) over her prior best. I was looking forward to following her during the outdoor season. Anyone know? She is not running at Drake and did not participate in CA last weekend, so is she sitting out the outdoor, so she has both an indoor and outdoor season her final year?

second ... I am amazed at the throwers (both men and women) how young they are, with several freshman and sophomores doign great things already. Pumped to see how they do at Drake with the better competiton, more pressure, etc.

third ... anyone know what is going on with Heppner. He was supposed to compete in CA last weekend, did not. He is slated to run 800m at Drake. Was he sick, injured? He has run really good 800m and 1500m times in his NDSU career, would really like to see him finish his senior year with his best performances.

The women win the 1600 medley relay today at the Drake Relays.

It started mid-morning on the blue oval when North Dakota State senior Antoinette Goodman, freshman Morgan Milbrath, senior Ashley Tingelstad and junior Paige Stratioti raced to a Drake Relays title in the 1600m medley relay. NDSU's winning time of 3:47.73 cut over four seconds off the school's previous all-time best performance. The Bison quartet stands at fifth in the NCAA this season in the event.
    Later in the afternoon, Stratioti, Milbrath, Goodman and Tingelstad capped the weekend with yet another school record in the 4x400m relay. The Bison placed fourth in 3:34.56, improving on the previous school record of 3:34.64 set on Friday in the prelims. Baylor, Arkansas and Notre Dame finished 1-2-3 with times that rank among the top 10 in the nation, while the Bison stand at 12th in the country.
    http://gobison.com/news/2014/4/26/WTF_0426140129.aspx

533 In a row

Watched the 4x400 on NBCSN. Announcers didn't say much about the Bison, but hey, NDSU women tracksters on live national television!

NDSU did well (again) at the Drake Relays...congrats! I'm looking through the Des Moines Register's reports and thought Bison fans would get a charge out of this article reporting on the Bison bus breakdown and the substitute: a party bus -- taking the team in to Des Moines.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...elays/8214651/
    Go Jackrabbits!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    I am curious

first ... Maddie McClellon (5000m, 3000m Steeplechase) ... ran an outstanding 5000m indoors, a 40 second improvement (appr.) over her prior best. I was looking forward to following her during the outdoor season. Anyone know? She is not running at Drake and did not participate in CA last weekend, so is she sitting out the outdoor, so she has both an indoor and outdoor season her final year?

second ... I am amazed at the throwers (both men and women) how young they are, with several freshman and sophomores doign great things already. Pumped to see how they do at Drake with the better competiton, more pressure, etc.

third ... anyone know what is going on with Heppner. He was supposed to compete in CA last weekend, did not. He is slated to run 800m at Drake. Was he sick, injured? He has run really good 800m and 1500m times in his NDSU career, would really like to see him finish his senior year with his best performances.
    Maddie is redshirting the outdoor season. She actually ran a record setting steeple time of 10:15. I am sure that she will make a run at nationals next year.
    Last edited by Castor Troy; 04-27-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: auto
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.