Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA going to create a new Subdivison for the Power 5 in August

Hail bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NCAA going to create a new Subdivison for the Power 5 in August

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    As for Team Makers, no, but a nice dinner was had with the a number of the alumni association board. And the the funny thing, this was a discussion point, the general masses imply wrongly that money exists to pay student athletes. And as always, the insight from Bisonville never ceases to amaze me.
    I don't think anyone here is talking about NDSU paying athletes except you. I'm disappointed Team Makers hasn't reached out to you by now. No contact whatsoever, from anyone? I ask because you posted some time back about knowing Simmers. I assume you are looking for Taylor or Bresciani to contact you? By the way, I agree with a lot of what you have posted in the past regarding TM and fundraising. It's the ego that bothers me.

This is a fascinating time for NDSU; I see nothing but good coming out of this. We all should be hoping for a power 5 break in FBS. Yes, due to contracts, the bowls etc, the future will not be immediately clear, but yet NDSU should be able to get into a situation with much better talent coming to Fargo. Think about it; MVFC is perfectly suited to stand up to MAC, Sun Belt, Conf USA and even do well against MWC. The conference should be willing to play in whatever the second tier is. Can you imagine a non-conf game with Colorado St. in Fargo? Or Boise St? Would this happen over night? Of course not, but the point is the future is bright for NDSU as long as ALL OF US never allow NDSU to ever be less than level two.

I will stop paying teammaker dues immediately if NDSU does not position themselves correctly, and suspect many others will feel the same way. (I would give the money for college of pharmacy scholies instead.)

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I will stop paying teammaker dues immediately if NDSU does not position themselves correctly, and suspect many others will feel the same way. (I would give the money for college of pharmacy scholies instead.)
    In the absence of a willingness to donate more in the event that they do position themselves correctly, I don't think such a threat means much. But I'm sure that the College of Pharmacy would welcome your donation.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    In the absence of a willingness to donate more in the event that they do position themselves correctly, I don't think such a threat means much. But I'm sure that the College of Pharmacy would welcome your donation.
    I very much doubt more will be needed. The non-power 5 conferences will have some major TV money blows with time. I fully admit, no one can possibly know at this point and I suspect NDSU funding will go up, while non-BCS schools will go down.

I very much doubt more will be needed. The non-power 5 conferences will have some major TV money blows with time. I fully admit, no one can possibly know at this point and I suspect NDSU funding will go up, while non-BCS schools will go down.
    Agreed. If/when they come together it will be somewhere in between where the two of them are at now.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Let the ACC, Big 10, SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12 go off and do there own thing and have there 4 team "playoff" and then everyone else goes to a bowl game no matter what the record. The rest of the current FBS conferences along with with the top FCS teams and conferences can compete in their own division with a real playoff system for a real NCAA championship. The bottom FCS teams and conference who cant afford to be on that next level can be on a level with the top DII schools. Then the bottom DII schools can be satisfied with just being DIII, with the option of having scholarships or not. Everone get pulled up who has the ability and wants to move. I am confident that Gene Taylor is on top of this. I have heard him say many times that he constantly monitors the college football landscape and that NDSU will be at a level it should be. We missed the boat in the 70's when we should have moved up; I don't think that happens again.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

This is a fascinating time for NDSU; I see nothing but good coming out of this. We all should be hoping for a power 5 break in FBS. Yes, due to contracts, the bowls etc, the future will not be immediately clear, but yet NDSU should be able to get into a situation with much better talent coming to Fargo. Think about it; MVFC is perfectly suited to stand up to MAC, Sun Belt, Conf USA and even do well against MWC. The conference should be willing to play in whatever the second tier is. Can you imagine a non-conf game with Colorado St. in Fargo? Or Boise St? Would this happen over night? Of course not, but the point is the future is bright for NDSU as long as ALL OF US never allow NDSU to ever be less than level two.

will there still be bowls? will the 2nd level play the power five in bowl games? will the power five only get access to their playoffs (most likely)? will the 2nd level get theiur own playoff?

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    will there still be bowls? will the 2nd level play the power five in bowl games? will the power five only get access to their playoffs (most likely)? will the 2nd level get theiur own playoff?
    That is the question, is it not? Let's hope it goes to a playoff run by the NCAA for tier 2. Let the worthless bowls die the death they deserve. Only bowls that should stay for major conferences who do not make the playoff. Whatever happens would not happen overnight.....

I don't see much changing for the next 12 years. The big five will implement some changes...I expect the MWC, AAC and BYU to also implement the same changes. The question is what becomes of the CUSA and especially the MAC and Sun Belt. Some schools in those conferences probably don't have the cash to keep pace...will they drop football, move down to the FCS or just be completely noncompetitive by deciding to not implement the changes(stipends, health insurance, etc) and remain in the FBS?

Things could get interesting in 12 years when the contract is up. There will no doubt be a push for a bigger playoff.

I don't expect the contract to run its course. It will be renegotiated or simply voided by agreement of both parties and replaced.